Welcome to Discovery Preschool! We thank you for your interest in our program and are excited to welcome you to our preschool family.
Our preschool is an integral part of the School of Education and Psychology at Walla Walla University. The university students, teamed together with Teacher Stacy, provide an excellent learning-enriched program for children ages 3-5 from our local community.
Our mission at the Discovery Preschool is to immerse young children in hands-on learning experiences that will allow them to learn in a natural, playful, and social environment. Our goal is for children to experience the wonder of discovery and to enhance their innate love for learning so it will continue throughout their entire lives. The spiritual emphasis of our program focuses on promoting Christian values common to most religious faiths—such as honesty, kindness, love, patience, and sharing.
Our program is governed by the following set of beliefs:
- All children are born knowing how to learn.
- All children can learn.
- All children learn at different rates.
- The development of a child's social, physical, mental, and spiritual growth is of paramount importance.
- Children learn naturally when they are allowed to make many of their own choices, set their own pace, and be directors in their own learning process.
- Play is a child's work.
- Learning for young children should be structured within play and self-expression.
- Teachers are facilitators of the learning process. Their role is to provide materials that encourage learning through hands-on experiences.
- Parents, as the child's first teachers, are a key part of the learning process.
Our tuition costs for the 2023–2024 school year is as follows:
- Morning (8-11:30): $22/day
Options include: 2 days, 3 days, 4 days or 5 days/week
- Afternoon (12:00-3:30): $22/day
Options include: 2 days, 3 days, or 4 days
- Summer (8-11:30): $22/day
Options include: 2 days, 3 days, or 4 days/week June and July only
Discovery Preschool uses a pre-pay plan. The payments you make are based off an average tuition for the entire school year once you have committed to a specific number of days on your child's application.
We are counting on your child being present. You will be expected to pay regardless of your child's absence.
Each month, the Accounting Department will send a monthly statement by the 8th of that month. The payment will be due by the 25th of the same month. If you have not paid by the 10th of the following month, preschool attendance will be discontinued until payment has been received. If you have not paid by the next due date, which will always be the 25th of each month, your child will be bumped to the waitlist until payment is received and space becomes available again. *This stands true for all monthly payments.
Here is an example to illustrate this policy:
September billing is posted at the end of August. Your statement will be sent to you by the 8th of September. The September payment is due by September 25. If payment is not received by October 10, preschool attendance will be discontinued for your child until payment is received. By October 25, if payment is not received, your child will be put on the waitlist.
There are several methods you can choose from to submit your payment. Please choose one of the following:
- Mail the payment portion of your statement along with a check (made payable to Walla Walla University) or credit card number to the Accounting Department: 204 S College Ave, College Place, WA 99324
- Pay in person at the cashier’s office: 103 SW 4th Street, College Place, WA
- Give your payment in-person to your child's teacher at preschool. *No payments may be given on Fridays.
- Set up auto-payments with the cashier’s office: 103 SW 4th Street, College Place, WA | (509) 527-2912
If you are able to claim tuition as a deduction on your taxes, our EIN is 91-0617727.
- Morning pickup time is 11:30 a.m. - 11:40 a.m. If your child is not picked on time the fees are as follows:
- 15.00 flat rate from 11:41 a.m. – 11:50 a.m.
- $1.00 per minute starting at 11:51 a.m.
- Afternoon pickup time is 3:30 p.m. – 3:40 p.m. If your child is not picked on time the fees are as follows:
- $15.00 flat rate from 3:41 p.m. – 3:50 p.m.
- $1.00 per minute starting at 3:51 p.m.
If you would like to change the days your child will attend preschool, please fill out a “Schedule Change Form." This form can be obtained in-person at the preschool. In order to bill you appropriately, we need to have your request in writing. You will be notified when your billing has been updated or if your child will be put on a waiting list for the new days that you request.
Walla Walla University is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment. Read the latest news regarding campus re-opening and learn about the extra safety steps we are taking at wallawalla.edu/coronavirus.
Please submit an application online or by mail, along with a $50 application fee. This fee is nonrefundable. After we have received the completed application and application fee payment, your application will be reviewed and you will receive a letter informing you of your child’s impending acceptance or wait list status.
Applications are accepted on a first come first serve basis.
Not at all! We welcome all preschoolers who are potty trained, age 3-5.
We open our doors each week day at 7:45 a.m. and run our days through 3:30 p.m. We offer a morning session from 7:45 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., and an afternoon session from 12:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
As we are affiliated with Walla Walla University, we try to balance our calendar between the WWU calendar and our local school district calendar to make vacations convenient for all.
Stacy Maxted, Director