Contact info and brief biography of our Education and Psychology faculty.
Our dedicated faculty and staff are committed to preparing students for a life of service, purpose, and leadership by developing each person’s unique gifts in a Christian community of faith and discovery. The School of Education and Psychology is a place for students to develop 21st Century skills required in this ever-changing world such as problem solving, communication, collaboration, creativity, and cross-disciplinary thinking. As a community of Christian scholars, we encourage students to develop themselves physically, mentally, and spiritually to their highest potential.
Maria Bastien Valenca
Dean, School of Education & Psychology
- BS Pacific Union College, 2004; Public Relations/Journalism
- BA University of Windsor, 2010; English: Literature and Language
- MA University of Windsor, 2011; English: Literature and Language
- PhD University of Ottawa, 2017; Education - Society, Culture, and Literacies
- EDUC 211/511 Introduction to and Foundations of Education
- EDUC 350/EDCI 550/PSYC 350 Language Development in Young Children
- EDUC 360/EDCI 560 Teaching & Learning: Inclusive Literacies I
- EDUC 361/EDCI 561 Teaching & Learning: Inclusive Literacies II
- EDUC 382/EDCI 582 Teaching & Learning: Social Studies
- EDUC 405/505 Elementary Classroom Organization and Management
- EDUC 444 Teaching & Learning: Cultural Diversity
- EDUC 475 Teaching Reading Skills in the Content Area
- EDUC 497 Small Schools
- Agencement, Second Language Education, and Becoming: A Deleuzian Take on Citizenship. Critical Inquiry in Language Studies. (with Fleming, D., Waterhouse, M., and Bangou, F.) 2017.
- My Chinese is in a Tiny Box with a Roof, My French and English Vocabulary are in Boxes with No Roof. The Wind Blows Them Away: Creation, and Resistance - Reconceptualizing Early Learning with Multilingual Children. Cultural Studies <=> Critical Methodologies (with Masny, D.) 2016.
- Family Literacy Interventions in Canada: Meeting the Needs of Newcomer Parents with Young Children. Education Review (with Masny, D.) 2015.
- BS Walla Walla University, 2015; Psychology
- MS Loma Linda University, 2018; Marital and Family Therapy
- DMFT, Loma Linda University, 2022; Doctor of Marital and Family Therapy
- PSYC 130 General Psychology
- PSYC 215 Development Psychology
- PSYC 217/517 Psychology of Learning and Development
- PSYC 278/478 Applied Psychological Research
- PSYC 366 Theories of Personality
- PSYC 430 Psychological Testing
- PSYC 455 - History and Systems of Psychology
- The Importance of Assessing the Mental Health Needs in SDA Academies: An Invitation to Collaborate. [Poster Presentation - Adventist Human-Subject Researchers Association Conference (AHSRA); Oral Presentation - Andrews Research Conference (ARC)]. 2021.
- From knowing to doing: Guidelines for socioculturally attuned family therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. 2019
- 2022 Research Excellence Award - Loma Linda University, School of Behavioral Health
Music ministry, recording music covers, going on family walks, running, swimming, learning how to cook family recipes.
- BS Walla Walla University, 1993; Biology
- BS Walla Walla University, 1993; Engineering
- MAT Andrews University, 1996; Science Education
- PhD Oregon State University, 2016; Science Education
- EDUC 315/515 Technology in Education
- EDUC 365/EDCI 565 Secondary Classroom Management
- EDUC 373/EDCI 573 Teaching & Learning: STEM I Math & Technology
- EDUC 383/EDCI 583 Teaching & Learning: STEM II Science & Engineering
- EDUC 390/EDCI 590 Measurement & Evaluation
- EDUC 395/595 Secondary Methods of Instruction I
- EDUC 396/596 Secondary Methods of Instruction II
- Expanding Student Ideas about Technology. Technology and Engineering Teacher, (with Flick, L.) 2016.
- Learning to Teach Elementary Science through Iterative Cycles of Enactment in Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Contexts. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 26:8, (with Bottoms, S. & Ciechanowski, K.) 2016.
- Shedding Light on Inferences. In P.D. Morrell, & K. Popejoy. A Few of Our Favorite Things: Teaching Ideas for K-12 Science Methods Instructors. (with Bell, R.L.) 2014.
- AS Walla Walla College, 1980; Graphics Technology
- BS University of Oregon, 1999; Psychology
- MS University of Oregon, 2001; Psychology
- PhD University of Oregon, 2005; Clinical Psychology
- PSYC 120 Introduction to Psychology Major
- PSYC 140-141 Introduction to Psychology: Social & Biological Foundations
- PSYC 200/400 Topics:
- PSYC 215 Developmental Psychology
- PSYC 344 Social Psychology
- PSYC 464 Introduction to Counseling
- PSYC 478 Applied Psychological Research
- PSYC 492 Abnormal Psychology
- PSYC 493 Psychology Practicum
- PSYC 498 Senior Project in Psychology
- Recognizing and Avoiding Potential Triggers for Internet Gaming Addiction. Journal of Adventist Education. 2017.
- Maternal Warmth Moderates the Link Between Physical Punishment and Child Externalizing Problems: A Parent-Offspring Behavior Genetic Analysis. In P. Smith & A. Rutland, Childhood Social Development (with Deater-Deckard, K. & Petrill, S.) 2014.
- Using Humor in the Classroom. Education Digest. Journal of Adventist Education. 2013.
- BA Walla Walla University, 2008; Business Administration
Assistant Professor of Education and Psychology
- AdvDip The Association of Business Executives, 2010; Business Information Systems
- Dip The Association of Business Executives, 2011; Human Resource Management
- BEd The University of Trinidad and Tobago, 2012; Special Needs Education
- MEd The University of the West Indies, 2014; Inclusive and Special Education
- MSc University of South Wales, 2021; Psychology
- PhD The University of the West Indies, 2023; Inclusive Education
- SPED 210/510 Introduction to Special Education and Inclusive Classrooms
- SPED 322/522 Methods of Teaching and Learning in Inclusive Classrooms
- SPED 440/540 Functional Behavioral Assessment
- SPED 437/539 Teaching Students with Autism/Moderate and Severe Disabilities
- SPED 212/213/214/520 Early Childhood through Adolescent Special Education
- SPED 438/538 Consultation, Collaboration, and Transitions
- SPED 330/530 Professional Skills in Special Education
- SPED 593 Practicum in Special Education
- Exploring Educators' Perceptions about Necessary Supports for Inclusive Practice: Development and Assessment of a Conceptual Model.
- Flamboyant: Poems on Life, Love and Learning. Kindle Direct Publishing, 2020.
- Implementing Inclusive Education: A Call for a Postmodern Perspective in Trinidad and Tobago. Journal of Advances in Education and Philosophy, 2019.
- Prevalence Estimates of Behaviour Problems in Primary Schools in Trinidad and Tobago: A Baseline Inquiry. Assessing the Current State of Education in the Caribbean, (with Carrington-Blaides, E.) 2017.
- The Perceptions of Trinidadian Special Education Paraprofessional Regarding the Roles they fulfil while working in Inclusive Settings in District X. UWIspace, 2014.
- BA Union College, 1966
- MEd Eastern Washington University, 1995
- PhD Washington State University, 2000
- Language Development in Young Children
- Elementary C & I: Reading & Language Arts, Social Studies
- Philosophy of Education
- Teaching Culturally Diverse Students
- Philosophy and Education
- Psychology of Reading
- Issues and Trends
- Reading Diagnosis and Remediation
- Interdisciplinary theme-based instruction
- International literacy education
- Motivation and remediation in reading
- Nurturing the spiritual life of the children
- Service learning
- Action research
- BS Walla Walla University, 1994; Elementary Education, Health and Religion minors
- Washington State Certified
- Elementary Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Washington State Certified
- MAT Walla Walla University, 2021; Literacy Instruction