Meet our School of Business faculty and staff
The School of Business faculty members seek to make a difference professionally, academically, and spiritually in the lives of their students. Over a dozen national and institutional awards have been earned by business faculty in teaching, advising, research, and community service. Our professors have a broad range of experience and backgrounds, including business executives, entrepreneurs, attorneys, CPAs, insurance brokers, marketers, information systems specialists, and economists. In addition, a majority of our faculty run their own businesses, so they know about the real world and can bring it right into the classroom. Their primary motivation is to be in the classroom with their students or in a lab working on real-world projects. With an open-door policy, students are encouraged to visit professors in their offices or even contact them at home. Faculty members are ready to be friends and mentors and to build relationships that students will value for a lifetime.
Patience Taruwinga, DBL, MBA, MS
Dean and Professor of Management, Quantitative Methods, & Information Systems
Current Teaching Areas: Quantitative Methods, Management, & Info Systems Classes
- Doctor of Business Leadership, University of South Africa, Pretoria, South Africa (2012)
- M.S.M.I.T- Judd Leighton School of Business and Economics, Indiana University South Bend (2008)
- M.B.A- Judd Leighton School of Business and Economics, Indiana University South Bend (2002)
- Managing the Complexity of Human Resources in Family Owned Businesses.
- Recent publications in the International Journal of Sustainable Economies Management (IJSEM)
- Co-Authored a chapter in the book: Strategic Uses of Social Media for Improved Customer Retention
- Faculty Certificate of Recognition, Indiana University South Bend -2012
- Edwin G Kaiser Faculty Scholar Award, Saint Joseph’s College, 2017
Other Activities: Member Academy of Management since 2012, Founder and Owner Geek Investments LLC (An Equipment Export Company with clients in 7 countries)
Interests: Family, travel, fishing, hiking, prison ministry
Bruce Toews, DBA, MBA, CPA
Associate Dean and Professor of Accounting & Finance
Current Teaching Areas: Managerial Finance, Investments, Financial Markets & Institutions, Intermediate Accounting, Auditing, Accounting Information Systems, Government & Not-for-Profit Accounting, Real Estate
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) – Specialization in Finance; Walden University
- Masters of Business Administration (MBA) – Finance Emphasis; California State University, San Bernardino
- WWU School of Business Teaching Excellence Award
- WWU Community Service Award
- C. Michael and Delona Lang Bell Outstanding Teacher Award, WWU
- ACBSP Teaching Excellence Award (Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs)
- NACADA Outstanding Faculty Academic Advising Award (National Academic Advising Association)
- WWU Excellence in Academic Advisement Award
- WWU School of Business Teaching Excellence Award
- WWU Presidential Excellence in Teaching Award
- WWU School of Business Teaching Excellence Award
Professional Experience and Certifications
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Own and operate a professional services firm providing part-time services in accounting, tax, auditing, personal financial planning, financial software, and wealth/investment/property management.
Interests: Bird-watching, hiking, singing, playing keyboard/guitar, motorcycle riding
Current Teaching Areas: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Development Economics, Comparative Economics, International Trade & Finance, and Business Statistics.
- Ph.D. Economics. Western Michigan University (2016).
- M.S. Economics. East Carolina University (2009).
- B.S. Economics. Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica (2007).
Current Research Interest
- The analysis of Global Value Chain Fragmentation on International Trade.
- The effect of NAFTA on the U.S. economy.
Interests: Family, travel, backpacking, baking.
Andrew Dressler, M.Acct, CPA
Professor of Accounting and Finance
Current Teaching Areas: Principles of Accounting, Managerial Cost Accounting, Advanced Accounting, Personal Income Tax, Business Taxation
Specialty: United States Taxation System
Current Special Interest: Solutions to the United States Health Care System
Interests: Family, SCUBA, Golf, Development of Small Businesses
Mihail Motzev, PhD, MS
Professor of Quantitative Methods and Information Systems
Current Teaching Areas: Business Statistics, Operations Management, Management Information Systems and Business Intelligence, Business Analytics with MS Excel and Access, Business Forecasting and Predictive Analytics.
Specialties: Quantitative Methods, Information Systems, Data Mining, Predictive Analytics.
Publications: Over 90 peer reviewed papers and presentations (incl. 5 textbooks) on Predictive analytics, Business Forecasting, Information Systems, Econometric models, Computer Simulation on Economic Systems, and Management Simulation Games.
Current Research: Business Analytics with Spreadsheets, Faculty Research Grant, Walla Walla University. Statistical Leaning Networks in Simulations for Business Training and Education ABSEL (Association for Business Simulation and Experiential Learning). A Framework for Developing Multi-Layered Networks of Active Neurons for Simulation Experiments and Model-Based Business Games Using Self-Organizing Data Mining with the Group Method of Data Handling, ISAGA (International Simulation and Gaming Association).
Awards: President’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship, Walla Walla University, 2016. Certificate of Merit, University of Arizona, 1993. “Best Research” (First Prize) in Individual Competition, National Scientific Session for Students in Economics Sponsored by Bulgarian Ministry of Education, 1980.
Nominations: International Advisory Council, ISAGA (International Simulation and Gaming Association), 2013-Present. Honored to be included as VIP in the 2012 Covington Who’s Who. BILTMORE Who’s Who, 2011.
Interests: Family, travel, strategic games, MMA.
George Perez, PhD (abd), MS
Professor of Management and Marketing
Current Teaching Areas: Business Ethics, Business Communication, Principles of Management, Strategic Management, Organizational Behavior
- Ph.D. (abd) in Organizational Leadership; Andrews University
- M.Sc. in Administration; Andrews University
Awards and Honors
- 2017 Community Recognition Award, Ministry of Provincial Parliament, Ontario, Canada
- 2015 Signature Affairs Recognition, House of Commons, Parliament of Canada
- 2013 Excellent in Education Award, Ontario Conference of SDA Church
- 2011 Culture Manager Recognition, City of London, Ontario, Canada
- 2007 Hispanic Entrepreneur of the Year, Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2006 Hispanic Business of the Year, LULAC Ohio Distinguished Hispanics, Cincinnati, Ohio
- 2004 Ohioan of the Year, Ohio Commission of Hispanic/Latino Affairs, Columbus, Ohio
Current Research and Interests
- Immigration entrepreneurship (dissertation topic)
- Emotional intelligence in the workplace
- Innovation and creativity
- Change management
- Ethics and corporate social responsibility
- Negotiations and dispute resolution
- Small business and start-ups
- Business/leadership coach
- Co-owner of Hola!Ethnic Media
- Public & motivational speaker
- Cultural training
Steven VanOrden, MPA
Adjunct Professor of Management and Marketing
Current Teaching Areas: Business Basics, Personal Finance.
- Masters of Public Administration (MPA) – City University, Seattle
- WWU School of Business Teaching Excellence Award, 2015
- WWU Excellence in Academic Advisement Award, 2017
Professional Experience and Certifications:
- Certified Senior Care Manager (CSCM)
- Certified Medical Staff Recruiter (CMSR)
- Certificate of Achievement, Leadership Walla Walla
- Over 25 years combined career experience in Government, Humanitarian Work, HealthCare, and Entrepreneurship.
- Have owned and operated several small businesses, including a Medical Recruitment Company and a Home Care Agency.
Interests: Fly fishing, diving, golfing, mountain and road biking, playing drums, world travel, and most outdoor activities.
Current Teaching Area: Business Law
- J.D., Seatte University
- B.A. in History, Walla Walla University
- Attorney at Law and Trust Officer, Upper Columbia Corporation of SDA
- Private law practice for 31 years in Walla Walla, Tacoma, and Seattle.
Interests: A beloved pastor used to ask people: "What are some of the first words you hope to hear in heaven someday?" Lawyer Bob was never asked, but would have replied, "Next up on the No. 1 Tee . . . "
Licci Zemleduch, MBA
Professor of Marketing and Management
Current Teaching Areas: Principles of Marketing, Advertising, Digital, Social Media, and Mobile Marketing, Branding, Market Research, Consumer Behavior, Entrepreneurship, and Small Business Management.
- Master's of Business Administration (MBA) – Marketing Emphasis; Montemorelos University
- Bachelor's in Visual Communication (BA) – Design and Branding Emphasis; Montemorelos University
- Teacher Innovator Award, Montemorelos University School of Arts and Communication
- UMedia Creative Director
- Enactus UM Academic Co-Advisor
- NAD Youth Creative Advisor
- Own and direct a creative agency providing services in creative marketing strategy, branding, graphic design, advertising, editorial design, illustration, packaging, web design, photography, exhibit design, infographics, signage, and other related areas.
Interests: Photography, contemporary art, travel, gastronomy, and start-ups
As office manager, Lana "runs" the School of Business with proficiency and grace. In addition, she serves as "departmental mom" to our students, occasionally distributing Band-Aids and Tylenol and soothing emotional and relational distresses as well. In addition, Lana is a skillful card-maker, creating hundreds of beautiful birthday cards every year for our students and staff.
Other Faculty (Adjunct)
- Clarence Anderson, PhD
- Michael Cafferky, DBA
- Duane Anderson, MS
- Conna Bond, JD
- James Bradley, MBA
- Monty Buell, MA
- Tim Burgoyne, MBA
- Preston Carman, MBA, MS
- Jennifer Carpenter, JD
- Curtis Nelson, PhD
- Bruce Thorn, JD, LLM
- Scott Wagner, MBA