September 16-22, 2018
Welcome to the Walla Walla University family! To get to know you better and to help get your college experience starts off on the right foot, we've created JumpStart. JumpStart is a week jam-packed with events and programs designed to help you learn about how WWU works and where you can find the resources that will help you be successful during your time here.
During this week you will get to settle into your room before everyone else does, you'll learn your way around campus, meet your academic advisor, choose a mentor, get help with finishing up registration tasks, attend workshops that will help you navigate and succeed in college, and meet new, life-long friends!
The fee for attending JumpStart is $230. This covers all activities, materials, meals, and lodging for the week. You will begin using your Fall Quarter meal plan the Sunday evening after JumpStart ends. Students who attend the required number of sessions will receive on academic credit, which is a significant savings compared to the full price of an academic credit. The JumpStart fee will be applied to your student account when classes begin—payment in advance is not necessary.
If you are not a first-time freshman and are transferring more than 36 credits, please visit our Transfer Student Orientation page.
Sunday, September 16
11:30 a.m.| President's Welcome
7 p.m. | JumpStart KickOff
Disability support: If you will need disability support (including meals) during the week of Jumpstart, please contact Disability Support Services (email@example.com) as soon as possible with your specific needs.
ACT and placement testing
Walla Walla University offers ACT and placement testing during the week of Jumpstart.
- The ACT Residual exam is offered on the Sunday morning of JumpStart, September 16 at 8:00 a.m. in RGH 182. Students do not need to preregister. The cost for the ACT test is $60.00 and will be charged to your student account. Please bring photo ID, two #2 pencils, and a calculator to the test. Scores from this exam are valid only at WWU and may not be reported to any other institution.
- The Writing Assessment is Monday morning, September 17, following the General Session. Required for everyone who hasn't completed English 121, consult your personal JumpStart schedule for the location.
- Language placement testing is offered on Monday at 4:00 p.m.and Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. for students interest in taking Spanish or French. Only those who are wanting to study a foreign language need to complete this assessment.
- Math placement testing is available Sunday-Wednesday afternoons (times listed below). All new students need to take a math placement test before they take their first math class. (More info is available here.) It is best and easiest to take this placement test during JumpStart, even if you are not enrolled in a math class during fall quarter. No appointment is necessary, simply show up to the Kretschmar Hall North Computer Lab during one of the scheduled times below:
- Sunday: 2:00-5:00 p.m.
- Monday: 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 2:00-5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 2:00-5:00 p.m.
Cafeteria and office hours
Please be aware that cafeteria services will not be available until September 16 at 5:00 p.m.
Additionally, campus administrative offices will close at noon on Friday and not reopen until Monday morning, except Student Financial Services which is open from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. on Sunday September 16.