In addition to the regular cost of tuition and student charges, Walla Walla University charges fees for flight training as follows:
- Flight and Ground: $55/Hour
- Students will need to take an FAA Flight Medical at a cost of $100. This cannot be charged to their aviation account.
- Each certificate has an FAA Practical Test at a cost between $500 and $900 per test. This cannot be charged to their aviation account.
|Rating/License||Cost||Scholarship||Out of Pocket Cost|
Walla Walla University automatically awards aviation scholarships to subsidize a portion of the flight training costs.
For flight training classes excluding AVIA 140, Introduction to Aviation, the student receives a scholarship of $375 for each credit hour of flight course in which the student enrolls. The Aviation Scholarship is deposited into the student's aviation account from which the students aviation program fees are paid. Fees incurred will be paid from the scholarship first. Additional fees after scholarship depletion are the responsibility of the student.
Aviation Payment Options
In order to prevent delays in training students must have a payment plan in place with the Aviation office. The deadline is the Wednesday before classes begin in order to be placed on the flight schedule. There are three payment options:
- Payment in full for the estimated cost of the flight course for which they are registered. The student will be placed on the stop list if their balance drops below $350.
- The automatic payment plan can use an e-check or a credit or debit card. Charges are processed weekly. If a credit card is used a 2.25% fee is charged. Debit cards and E-checks are not subject to this fee. You can enroll in the Automatic Payment Plan at payment.wallawalla.edu.
- Confirmation of third party payment.
Course fee structure
Walla Walla University requires flight training expenses to be paid at the beginning of each quarter. Beginning fall 2019, we are transitioning to a new course fee and payment structure for all our aviation flight classes, and including this as part of the student's down payment for each quarter during financial clearance.
We believe this will aid in financial planning and it will also help prevent students from being placed on the stop list. Each flight course fee is listed in the 2019-2020 Financial Bulletin.
How will this system work?
Upon registering for any flight class, the associated course fee will be automatically included in the students budget for financial clearance, and added to their down payment.
Starting the 5th day of the quarter, the amount of the course fee and the aviation scholarship will be credited to the students aviation account for use throughout the quarter. Their aviation account will be billed on a weekly basis for the previous week’s expenses.
Regular Aviation Student: Aviation course fees are included in their total quarterly estimated expenses and added to their down payment.
Aviation Subsidy Student: Only the unsubsidized portion of the course fee is added to their down payment. Example: If a parent’s employer pays 70% of the students aviation course fees, only the remaining 30% of the course fee will be added to their down payment.
VA Aviation Student: If the student has aviation course fees fully subsidized by Veterans Affairs, they won’t see any change to their billing. If the VA only pays part of their fees, the balance will be added to their down payment.
Auto Pay Aviation Students: At this time we will no longer be offering students the option to make auto payments toward their aviation account.
Questions and Answers
How was this course fee calculated?
Each course fee is an estimate based on an average aviation student’s cost for ground and flight instruction, less the aviation scholarship for that course.
What if a student doesn’t use the entire amount?
Any remaining balance at the end of the quarter may be applied to any subsequent aviation courses, or transferred back to their student account.
What if a student exceeds the course fee?
Students who exceed the total amount of the course fee will be placed on the stop list until further payment is made.
What if a student drops the flight class?
If a student drops the flight class during the quarter, the aviation scholarship for that course will be canceled. The remaining balance, after all invoices are applied, will be available for another class or transferred back to their student account. The tuition for the flight class will be refunded based on the schedule listed in the Finance Bulletin.
What if a student fails the flight class?
They will be required to enroll in the class again resulting in an additional course fee for the same amount. Students cannot receive the aviation scholarship twice for the same course.
Is this a “use it or lose it” policy?
No. Any unused funds can be transferred back to the student account.