REU Programs

The Physics Department at WWU prefers that majors participate in an REU program at another location during the summer between their junior and senior years.

Research Experiences for Undergraduate (REU) programs are conducted at many universities and national labs throughout the United States.  The National Science Foundation maintains a list. Additional flyers are posted on the bulletin board across the hall from the Physics Department. 

In the past several years, WWU students have completed REU sessions at the Laboratory of Atmospheric and Space Physics, Loma Linda University, Oregon State, Princeton, Purdue, University of British Columbia, University of Florida, University of Washington and the University of Michigan.

Because the REU program is funded by the US government, REU participants must be US citizens or residents.

For Canadian WWU students, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada ( is the place to apply.  Specific sites include:

For international students, the WWU physics department offers limited research opportunities for students who cannot get into the REU or NSERC programs.


Most physics majors go on to graduate school after graduating from WWU.  If this isn't in your plan, take a look at the how the WWU Student Development Center can help you land a job after graduation.

Student Development Center career resources >


Graduate Schools (MS & PhD)

Selecting the right graduate school is a time consuming task.  Please come in and talk with all the physics professors as you make your decision.  The ranking of all the graduate programs in the US are available in a book kept in the Seminar Room.