School of Nursing
Each applicant brings a unique educational background and determining the best entry option may be difficult. Our admissions advisors are available to help you determine the best entry option for you. Don't hesitate to contact us with your questions.
LPN to BS Entry
Acceptance of LPNs into the Walla Walla University Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing program is based on available space in the fall quarter junior class each year. Application files are to be completed by the end of summer so that they can be evaluated by the Admissions Committee for acceptance and be ready if space is available.
To qualify to apply to the LPN to BS program you need:
- An unrestricted LPN license in any state. Submit a copy to the School of Nursing. This license must remain unrestricted throughout the program.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. This includes college level class work only, from all regionally accredited colleges attended. Grades from vocational courses are not included in this calculation.
- No grades of C- or below in prior nursing courses or cognate courses.
- Completion of the following prerequisite courses from a regionally accredited university or community college. (See the transfer guide for appropriate courses from various local colleges):
- 8-9 credits of College Writing (English Composition) including adequate Research Writing content
- 2 credits of Physical Education (activity courses)
- Full sequence of Anatomy & Physiology with lab (credits no more than 5 years old)
- Microbiology with lab (credits no more than 5 years old)
- 8 credits of Introductory Chemistry with lab (credits no more than 5 years old)
- Human Nutrition
- Introduction to Statistics (must have a MATH prefix or additional math courses may be required)
- General Psychology
- 1 general studies history course (3-4 credits must be done now; 8 credits are required for graduation)
- 6 credits of humanities (12 credits are required for graduation) WWU limits humanities to ONLY literature, philosophy, art/music appreciation or history. No “hands on” art or music applies.
- Religion courses are not a prerequisite; do not take them from other colleges and expect them to transfer.
- Highly recommended electives:
- Human Growth & Development (through the lifespan)
- Privilege & Oppression (or Social Inequities/Social Problems)
- Prerequisite requirements are NOT the same as graduation requirements.
- Completion of at least 85 transferrable credits of required cognates, general studies and electives that apply to the nursing major. Applicants are accepted on a space-available basis.
- Clinical experience in direct patient care equivalent to the current beginning junior nursing students in the program.
- Successful completion of a standardized examination to validate nursing knowledge and receive advanced standing as a junior level student (fee applies). Based on successful completion of this exam, LPNs with a current license are granted 15 lower division nursing credits and are exempt from taking NRSG 210, 211, 212, and 213.
- As a substitute for the standardized exam, if you took a standardized, comprehensive LPN NCLEX predictor exam (ATI, Kaplan), please submit your exam results to WWU School of Nursing Portland campus to determine if your score is high enough to grant you validation. Many LPN programs now give this type of exam routinely at the end of their programs.
- Submission of a completed application file to the WWU Enrollment Department. The content of this application file is the same as for any other Portland campus transfer student with the addition of a copy of the LPN license and documentation of the standardized LPN validation exam score or the substitute LPN NCLEX predictor exam score.
- Acceptance by the WWU SON Admissions and Progression Committee.
Steps to applying
- Work with a nursing advisor to evaluate prior coursework. The advisor for LPN to BS entry is Lindsay Loa-Siahaan, email email@example.com.
- Apply to Walla Walla University. Have a credit card handy for the $40 application fee.
- Send official college and vocational school transcripts to:
Office of Enrollment
Walla Walla University
204 S. College Ave
College Place, WA 99324
(This includes an official transcript for any Advanced Placement credits from College Board.)
- Submit a copy of your current LPN license, any state, to the Office of Enrollment (address above).
- Submit documentation of a passing standardized LPN validation exam score (taken at WWU School of Nursing) OR an LPN-NCLEX predictor exam score meeting the WWU School of Nursing minimum standard.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation (prefer teacher, employer or co-worker, not a family member). This can be done online or by paper copy sent to WWU Office of Enrollment.
- Complete WWU School of Nursing pre-admission testing. Work with your nursing advisor to take the Health Science Reasoning Test (HSRT), a 50 minute timed test that must be taken in English. The testing fee is $20. (Your pre-admission test scores will be sent to the Office of Enrollment by the School of Nursing who administers the tests.)
The application testing for LPNs applying for the LPN to BS track is usually offered during the summer quarter. Please schedule individual testing appointments with the Student Program Advisor by emailing Portland.Advising@wallawalla.edu. There is no need to set up a testing date in January.
Lindsay Loa-Siahaan, RN, BS
Portland nursing admissions advisor