Guiding you through the job search—one step at a time.
Resume and cover letter
Your application package is your first impression to a potential employer. The most effective and competitive ones are tailored and targeted for a specific employer with a particular position or goal in mind.
In creating your resumé or cover letter, follow these basic guidelines.
We also recommend you read this helpful blog which contains valuable information for cover letter preparation: https://novoresume.com/career-blog/how-to-write-a-cover-letter-guide
When you are ready to have your resumé or cover letter reviewed and enhanced, you have two options:
A Mock Interview provides current students and alumni an opportunity to critique themselves and receive feedback on their job interview performance.
At the time of your interview you can expect a simulated interview where you will be challenged with common and customized questions based on your background, area of interest, and any other information you provide.
Your interview will be recorded and played back to you. This allows you to evaluate your responses, professionalism, dress. etc.
The feedback portion of your appointment will highlight your strengths and provide areas for improvement. You will take with you a better understanding of how to articulate your thoughts, experiences, and skills.
Mock Interviews may be used prior to any form of interview including graduate, professional and job interviews.
How to Prepare for Your Mock Interview
Prepare for your Mock Interview as you would an official interview. Bring your resume, creative examples, and dress appropriately. Review how you would answer these sample interview questions.
Following are some questions to ask yourself in preparation for an interview.
- Why am I applying for this position?
- What are the three most important things I want the interviewer to know about me?
- What are my three biggest job-related strengths?
- What are some examples of experiences I have had that demonstrated these strengths?
- What is my biggest weakness, and what I am doing to work on it?
- What are my goals (short- and long-term)?
- What questions do I have about the company/organization?
Know the Employer/Organization
- What is the organization's missions and values?
- Where is the organization located? Are there other locations?
- Is it a public or private organization?
- Has the organization been in the news lately? For what reason(s)?
- What are the services/products/programs this organization provides?
- Who are its competitors?
- How is this organization doing relative to its competitors?
- What are the organization's short-term goals? Long-term goals?
- What else is the organization known for (e.g., community involvement, relaxed atmosphere, etc.)?
- What challenges/difficulties does this organization face? How can I help solve them?
Walla Walla University uses College Central Network as its official resume and job posting service. Local employers post jobs exclusively to our school via the CCN site. Students and alumni can use this program to:
- Easily search and apply to local and national Full-time, Part-time, Internship/Co-op job opportunities
- Access event announcements, career advice documents, podcasts, videos and articles
Other job search sites:
- America's Job Bank
- AOL Jobs
- Campus Point
- Career Builder
- Career Jet
- Career Rookie
- Careers in Government
- College Grad Job Hunter
- Go Defense
- Job Diagnosis
- Jobs Over 50
- Monster College
- Simply Hired
- The Ladders
- Women's Job List
- WowJobs - Canada
- Zip Recruiter