Residential Life and Housing Policy

Walla Walla University is committed to providing an environment where students live and dine together to encourage community and foster a positive outcome associated with student learning.


Residence Halls

The residence hall program seeks to provide safe and productive opportunities for all students. Research consistently demonstrates living in residence halls positively influences student success including higher GPA, campus involvement, peer networking, and an increased graduation rate. A variety of professional personnel are available in the residence halls to assist meeting the needs of our residents.

Single students under 22 years of age or have not yet earned 135 credit hours are required to live in the residence halls. This includes returning student missionaries and Adventist College Abroad students. Walla Walla University sponsored student missionaries will be allocated 15 credits per successfully completed quarter. 

Off-Campus Housing Eligibility

Students having a good citizenship record, not having received serious discipline during one quarter prior to applying to off-campus housing, and falling into at least one of the following categories can be granted approval to live off-campus:

  1. Living with parent(s), grandparents, or direct uncle or aunt (defined as a parents sibling) who maintains their primary residence in the Walla Walla area (or Portland area for Portland campus students). Email a copy of the resident’s local driver’s license, utility bill, and a written confirmation that the student will live with them full-time.
  2. Living with brother/sister who does not have a roommate and is eligible. Email a copy of their driver’s license, utility bill, and a written confirmation that the student will live with them full-time.
  3. Living with a full-time Walla Walla University faculty or staff member.
  4. Successfully completing 135 credit hours.
  5. 22 years of age or older.
  6. Married (marriage certificate must be submitted to Academic Records).
  7. Single parent (copy of child’s birth certificate required).

The housing information form is a part of the financial clearance process on myWWU. Select the appropriate housing and if you do not meet the age or credit requirement, please indicate your housing request in the notes section and submit the required documents to be reviewed for approval. 

Accepted WWU students may send a written off-campus housing request to: (College Place campus) or (Portland campus).

Petitions must be submitted by the student requesting to live off-campus. Any documents submitted on behalf of the student will be reviewed as supplemental documentation.

Petition Submission Deadlines

To petition to reside in off-campus housing, please email your request no later than the deadline specified for the term:

TermPetition Deadline
Fall 2021Jul 27, 2021
Winter 2022Nov 30, 2021
Spring 2022Feb 22, 2022


Summer Session

The Off-Campus Housing Eligibility requirements apply to WWU's on-campus Summer Session. Online credits do not count towards the summer credit totals. Please contact the Village Housing office to check if you qualify for University-owned off-campus housing.

Event Details

Shown in {{ }}