Disputing FAFSA results

Disagree with your EFC?

The purpose of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is to calculate Expected Family Contribution (EFC)—the amount of money the government estimates a family should be able to contribute toward the costs of college.

Unfortunately for some families, the FAFSA form doesn't give adequate opportunity to explain special circumstances that could affect their ability to pay for college.  But if you believe your EFC doesn't accurately reflect your specific financial situation, it's possible to dispute those results through a process called professional judgment.

Through professional judgment, your WWU financial aid office has the authority to take into account your unique financial circumstances and compensate for them. Call us to find out how the process works and what additional documentation is required.