Frequently Asked Questions

New Incoming Students

Undergraduate: degree seeking students are encouraged to take 16 credits each quarter towards degree requirements in order to graduate in 4 years. However, undergraduate degree seeking students who register for at least 12 credits in a given quarter are defined as full-time for federal financial aid, immigration, and veterans reporting purposes. Those students registering for 11 credits or less are defined as part-time.

Advisor information is available in myWWU > Highpoint > Academics > Advisor Information
or myWWU > PeopleSoft Student Center Classic

The Freshmen Success Program supports first-year college students transitioning to college life. Trained mentors provide support by building relationships with students, helping to reduce barriers, building time management skills, and connecting students with faculty and other resources on campus. Participation in the program is required for all incoming freshmen for a period of three quarters. A fee is assessed for this program; see the Academic Fee Section of the Financial Bulletin.

Common reasons for receiving a hold on your record include

  • an outstanding balance on your account
  • not completing financial clearance
  • CommUnity attendance
  • Student Success
  • not getting clearance from your advisor to sign up for classes

These holds may limit you in a number of ways. The most common effect of a hold is that it may keep you from enrolling in classes.

By clicking on the hold in Highpoint > My Information > Holds, or Student Center Classic, there will be a description of why the hold was added and who to contact to clear the hold.

English / Math Placement

Math placement information is available through your academic advisor.  Placements are based on the following criteria:

Math Placement: Math placement is based on the math courses you took in high school and the grades you received in those classes.  Walla Walla University  Admissions requires completion of three years of a high school math, which must include Algebra 2. If Algebra 2 has not been completed by the beginning of your first quarter at WWU, you must complete the deficiency by enrolling in the math course you are missing during your first quarter.  If you do not have a math deficiency, placement is determined in the following manner:

  • If you have completed three years of high school math with at least a B- average in Algebra II, you will preliminarily place in college level math classes and may enroll in Pre-Calculus (MATH 117/121), Intro to Statistics (MATH 106), or another general studies mathematics course. When you arrive on campus you must confirm your preliminary placement by taking the Basic Algebra placement test. 
  • If you have completed three years of high school math but earned less than B- average in Algebra II, you may still enroll in Finite Mathematic (MATH 105), which will fulfill general studies math requirements. However, if your major requires that you complete Pre-Calculus (MATH 117/121) or Intro to Statistics (MATH 106), you must complete a review course for Algebra II called Intermediate Algebra (MDEV 003) before enrolling in the course. Alternatively, you may enroll in MATH 121 or 106 if you take and pass the Basic Algebra Placement test. Enrollment in MDEV 003 does not require a placement test. 
  • In addition to three years of a high school math, you have also taken Pre-Calculus or Calculus in high school and earned at least a B average, you may enroll in Calculus I (MATH 181). Your preliminary placement in MATH 181 must be confirmed by passing the Calculus Readiness placement test when you arrive on campus. 
  • AP exams are also considered in math placement, and students may enroll in math classes higher than Calculus I (MATH 181) depending on their AP scores.  Please see the “Credit by Examination” section of the Walla Walla University undergraduate bulletin for more information regarding AP credit. Placement via AP scores does not require confirmation by math placement test. 

English Placement: All first-year students will be placed automatically in ENGL 121-College Writing I, unless they have AP, dual or transfer credit. Please see the 'Credit by Examination' section of the Walla Walla University undergraduate bulletin for more information regarding AP credit. For questions about dual or transfer credit contact the Transfer Evaluator in Academic Records. 

Academic Advisement

Students who wish to declare or change a major/minor may do so by following the Instructions for change of academic plan.

If the declaration of major requires the selection of a new advisor, the student is required to consult with the Director of Academic Advisement for a new advisor assignment. Students are assigned a secondary advisor for the chosen minor, and the student is expected to consult with the advisor to insure appropriate course selection. Students who are pursuing secondary education certification must consult with the certification officer in the School of Education and Psychology.

A dual major is earned if a student wishes to major in two programs leading to the same degree name--for example, both majors leading to a Bachelor of Science degree. Students may also earn two baccalaureate degrees concurrently or sequentially provided the candidate has met all requirements for both degrees and has spent a minimum of 40 of their last 45 credits in residence. Once the requirements are met for the first degree, financial aid may be impacted. Please see Student Financial Services for details.

There are several resources available to assist in determining degree requirements. 

  1. The undergraduate academic bulletin lists requirements for all degrees offered and is available online Undergraduate Bulletin.
  2. Personalized degree requirements are available by viewing your Degree Audit in myWWU > Highpoint > Degree Progress, or
    myWWU > Self Service > Student Center > Academics > My Academics > View my Degree Audit.
  3. Visit with your academic advisor.

While your advisor may assist you in planning a program, degree candidates are expected to be fully informed concerning degree requirements and are responsible for their fulfillment.

A course may satisfy content requirements for several majors or minors but credit will apply to only one unless otherwise specified within a given department. A course may satisfy the cognate requirements of a major while simultaneously being counted toward the credit requirement of another major, minor, or concentration.

Verifications of degree completion may be requested through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse at Student Loan Clearinghouse. Academic Records can also verify that a student has received his or her degree and dates of attendance. However, they cannot give out grades or number of credits over the phone.

Students have the option of meeting degree requirements as published in the bulletin at the time of initial registration or any bulletin published while in regular attendance. Those not in attendance at WWU for one full school year (except for Student Missionaries) must meet the requirements of the current bulletin upon resuming attendance.

Academic Probation

Students must show satisfactory academic performance by maintaining a term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above. At the end of each term, students' academic performance is reviewed. Students are automatically placed on academic probation if their performance places them in one of the two categories described in the following paragraphs. Probationary status is communicated to them in writing by the Associate Vice-Present for Academic Administration. A copy of the letter is also provided to each student's academic advisor. After the fourth day of the term, a student's probation status does not change for that term even if a subsequent grade change is submitted or an Incomplete is finished.

Students on academic probation have one term in which to demonstrate satisfactory academic achievement. During that term, they must comply with the conditions listed in the following section, "Conditions of Academic Probation." At the end of the term, each student's performance will again be reviewed.

A student is automatically placed on probation when:

  1. The student's cumulative grade point average for courses taken at Walla Walla University, including default grades for Incompletes, is below 2.00. 

The student is placed on probationary status for the ensuing term, at the end of which the student must earn a term GPA of at least 2.3 (C+ average). A student who meets this requirement may continue on academic probation for the following term. When the cumulative GPA reaches 2.0, the student returns to regular status. If neither a 2.3 term GPA nor a 2.0 cumulative GPA is achieved during the probationary term, the student is automatically dismissed from the University. The Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration notifies the student of the dismissal and process of potential appeal.

  1. The student's term GPA at Walla Walla University, including default grades for Incompletes, is below 2.0 for two consecutive terms, even though the cumulative GPA is above 2.0. 

The student is placed on probationary status for the ensuing term, at the end of which the student must earn a term GPA of at least 2.0. A student who meets this requirement returns to regular status. If a 2.0 term GPA is not achieved during the probationary term, the student is automatically dismissed from the University. The Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration notifies the student of the dismissal and process of potential appeal.

A student dismissed for academic reasons may, following at least six months' absence from the University, apply for readmission by contacting the Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration. Convincing evidence will be required to demonstrate the student's commitment and potential for academic success.

CONDITIONS OF ACADEMIC PROBATION. Academic probation entails the following conditions to assist a student in improving academic performance:

  1. The student must meet in person with the Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration within the first three days of the term.
  2. Enrollment is limited to 13 quarter credits. Students are advised to repeat courses with a grade less than C. Students with Incompletes should consider further reducing their academic load.
  3. A biweekly conference with the academic advisor is expected.
  4. The student is required to participate in a special mentoring program. A fee for this service will be charged to the student's account.
  5. Courses outside the University, such as correspondence or online courses, are not permitted.
  6. Participation in the University Athletics Program or Adventist Colleges Abroad is not permitted.
  7. Extracurricular activities which necessitate class absences are not permitted.
  8. The student is not permitted to hold office in ASWWU, any student club, serve as a student missionary or taskforce worker.

Note: A student receiving financial aid must also meet satisfactory progress standards adopted by Student Financial Services. See the Financial Policies section of the Financial Bulletin for details.

Admissions and Records

Grades are posted three to four business days after the term end date. Please go to myWWU > Highpoint > Academics > Grades (or Course List)
or myWWU > Student Center Classic > Academics > Other Academic Information > Grades.

If your grade is not posted, that means your instructor has not yet submitted your grade. 

A normal course load is 16-17 hours per quarter.  Sophomores, juniors, and seniors may register for 18 quarter hours if their cumulative WWU grade-point average is 3.00 or better.

The maximum course load for undergraduate students is 12 credits distributed evenly throughout the eight-week session, unless an overload is approved by the Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration. A course load of 9-12 credits is considered a full load for undergraduate students for the eight-week session.

To find the last day to add/drop classes for a particular term, view Academic Calendar.

To find your classrooms, log onto myWWU and click on Highpoint, then Schedule. You can choose between a list or calendar view.
You may also choose PeopleSoft Student Center Classic to see a list of classes and locations.

There are a few reasons you may be experiencing difficulty accessing registration screens: 

  • All new students must register through the Academic Advisement office. You may make an appointment by calling (509) 527-2132; 
  • If you have not been enrolled at WWU for one quarter or more, other than summer, you will need to reapply to the university to reactivate your account for registration; 
  • Not having clearance from your academic advisor will block your registration. Please contact your advisor or the Academic Advisement office.
  • If other reasons appear to be the issue, please contact the Academic Records Office at (509) 527-2811.

Class standings are as follows:  

  • FRESHMEN. Students who have met the University's entrance requirements and have completed less than 45 quarter hours are classified as freshmen.
  • SOPHOMORES. Students who have completed between 45 - 90 quarter hours are classified as sophomores.
  • JUNIORS. Students who have completed between 90 - 136 quarter hours are classified as juniors.
  • SENIORS. Students who have completed more than 136 quarter hours are classified as seniors.

Seniors who can complete all degree requirements during the current school year are eligible for class membership.

If the class is full, you can add yourself to the wait list. Enrollment exceptions may be made on a case-by-case bases or as openings occur.

If myWWU is saying you don't meet the pre-requisites for the course and you have not taken the pre-requisite class please contact your academic advisor to determine another class option. If you have taken the pre-requisite or wish to request an exception to policy, please contact the Academic Records office.

Students may repeat a course to replace an original Walla Walla University grade. Though both grades will appear on the official transcript, only the highest grade earned in the course will be used in the GPA calculation.

An Incomplete “I” is a temporary grade which may be given at the instructor’s discretion to a student when illness, necessary absence, or other reasons beyond the control of the student prevents completion of course requirements by the end of the academic term.

Incomplete grades may be given only in the following circumstances:

  • The student’s work to date is passing
  • Attendance has been satisfactory through at least 50% of the term
  • A documented illness or injury, death in the family, or other extenuating circumstance legitimately prevents completion of required work by the due date
  • Required work will be completed and submitted to the instructor three weeks before the close of the following term
  • The incomplete is not given as a substitute for a failing grade
  • The incomplete is not based solely on a student's failure to complete work or as a means of raising his or her grade by doing additional work after the grade report time
  • The student initiates the request for an incomplete grade before the end of the academic term.

Appropriate grades must be assigned in other circumstances. An X grade may be recorded for students who cease attending class within the first 50% of the course at the instructor’s discretion. Submission of all required work is due to the teacher by week 7 of the following term. Graduating seniors must complete all outstanding incomplete grades six weeks prior to graduation.

The grade-point average is computed by totaling the grade points of all courses taken at Walla Walla University and dividing by the total quarter hours for which grades are received. Only the best grade of a repeated course will be calculated in the grade-point average. Default grades of Incomplete are included in the grade point calculation. The AU, IP, NC, S, W, X and Z are disregarded in computing the grade-point average.

Undergraduate students who have earned a minimum of 15 hours per quarter (excluding S credits, IP, and incompletes) and have achieved a grade-point average of 3.5 or better, qualify for the Dean’s List. Students who have earned a G.P.A. above 3.75 appear on the Dean’s List of Distinguished Students.

Students will have until the last day to drop classes during the next regular quarter to report any discrepancies to the Academic Records Office.

At least 40 of the last 45 credits before degree completion must be Walla Walla University credits.

Students may repeat a course in which credit has been granted and grades have been received; however, academic credit may be earned only once. Courses may only be repeated 3 times, and only the best grade will be computed in the grade-point average, though all grades will remain on the permanent record. This repeat work must be taken in a regularly offered class. Challenge examinations and independent or directed study arrangements are not allowed for repeat course work. Repeat course work for which an F has been received must be completed in residence unless permission to do otherwise is granted by the Academic Standards Committee.

In addition,

Students must complete financial clearance four calendar days prior to the first day of the term. Registrations will be canceled for students who do not complete financial clearance on time.

Students who withdraw from a class or the university after the first week of classes receive grades of "W" on their transcripts for all withdrawn classes.

Students may register for upper-division courses provided that they have completed 45 quarter hours of university course work, the general studies mathematics requirement, ENGL 121 and 122 or HONR 141 and 142, and has completed or is concurrently enrolled in either ENGL 223 or HONR 243.

You can access your enrollment verification through myWWU under Highpoint > Enrollment > Enrollment Verification. You may also use PeopleSoft Student Center Classic > Academics > My Academics > Request enrollment verification. Select either current enrollment or all enrollment and then click the link “Obtain an enrollment certificate.” 

If a loan company or insurance agency is requesting verification, complete their form and then bring, mail or email it to the Academic Records Office. If you need additional assistance with verifications, contact the Academic Records Office at (509) 527-2811 for assistance.

You can access your dates of attendance through myWWU under Student Center>Academics>My Academics>Request enrollment verification. Select "all enrollment" and then click the link “Obtain an enrollment certificate.” 

Or, to verify dates of attendance, call us at (509) 527-2811.

Address information and phone numbers can be updated in myWWU. Simply go to myWWU > Highpoint > My Profile. You may also use PeopleSoft Student Center Classic > Personal Information > Demographic Data.  Addresses and phone numbers can also be updated in the Student Financial Services Office.

You are encouraged to setup a non-WWU email in your myWWU profile under Account Recovery. This will allow resetting your password without calling HelpDesk. If you are a recent student, this was done automatically for you.

Navigate to, click on "Sign In" to enter your WWU email address. Click "Next". The webpage will take you to the Walla Walla University sign-in page. Click the "Forgot Your Password" link to reset your password. This will send an email to your recovery email address with a link to reset your password.  

If you are still unable to login, please contact the HelpDesk at (509) 527-2317. They will be able to further assist with account troubleshooting and password resets.

All students are expected to take final examinations as scheduled. If you have extenuating circumstances, requests for exceptions are to be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration three weeks prior to the close of the quarter. If approved, a fee is assessed for each out-of-schedule examination; see the Academic Fee section of the Financial Bulletin.

Personalized exam schedules can be found with your class schedule either in Highpoint or Student Center Classic.

You can find the exam schedules posted for the entire academic year as well as the academic calendar and information about schedule changes at

View the final exam schedule >

Transfer Questions

Transcript evaluations are processed within 10-15 business days upon receipt. Once the evaluation is complete, you may view your transfer evaluation in myWWU under Student Center>Academics>My Academics>Transfer Credit.  You may also see how these credits applied to your degree requirements by viewing your Degree Audit in Student Center>Academics>My Academics>View my Degree Audit.

On occasion, it may be necessary to take a course at another college. Some of the reasons for this may be time conflicts that cannot be resolved, scheduling issues is a course is not offered every year, or selected courses taken in the summer, etc. When this happens, students are requested to complete a Transfer Course Approval Request and submit it to the Academic Records office. If approved, the student has assurance that the course is transferable to WWU and it will be applied as request toward degree requirements.

Students shall have the option of meeting degree requirements as published in the bulletin at the time of initial registration or any bulletin published while in regular attendance. Those missing regular attendance for one full school year (except for Student Missionaries) must meet the requirements of the current bulletin upon resuming attendance.

Concurrent registration at another accredited college/university may occasionally be advisable because of course unavailability or schedule conflicts. Students who are considering this option should consult their advisor and the registrar to ensure that their total course load is reasonable, that the transfer course will not interfere with their Walla Walla University class schedule, and that the course will satisfy the intended requirement. Transfer course approval requests are available at It is the student's responsibility to have a transcript sent to Walla Walla University as soon as the course has been completed. Seniors should not enroll for courses at other colleges without prior approval from Academic Standards Committee (see Residency Requirements in the bulletin). 

Yes. Unofficial (or student) transcripts may be obtained by accessing the transcript request page

The Academic Records office does not generate unofficial transcripts for distribution.

Please contact Academic Records Office by phone at 509-527-2811. You will need to provide information to verify your identity, then your ID number will be provided to you.

Simply access our transcript request site at: Transcript Request

Independent Studies and Extended Studies

The University offers a limited number of courses online. To review your options, please refer to the Schedule of Classes.

Study Abroad

Walla Walla University, together with 13 other Seventh-day Adventist colleges in North America, founded an organization in 1967 for the purpose of providing opportunities for qualified students to study abroad while completing the requirements of their programs. The ACA program allows students to immerse themselves in the culture and life of the host country and to become conversant in the language. Prerequisites for admission to a year of study abroad through ACA are:

  1. Admission as a regular student of Walla Walla University.
  2. Competence in the language (minimum: one year of college language or two years of secondary study).
  3. A grade-point average of 2.50 in the language and an overall grade-point average of 2.00.
  4. Completion of ENGL 121, 122 and a general studies math course.
  5. A good citizenship record.
  6. Application to the Academic Records Office on the special ACA application form.
  7. Ability to meet the financial requirements.

Students planning to study under this program must submit a completed ACA application with a $100 processing fee by July 15, as there are usually more applications than spaces available. Information and applications may be obtained from the Academic Records Office or online at

All applications and payments for tuition, room, and board are to be made through Walla Walla University. Any deviation from this schedule by students of Walla Walla University must be arranged in advance with the Office of Student Financial Services.

Students cannot plan on financial credit for work while residing in foreign countries. The student financial aid officer has information on grants and loans available to students for overseas study.

Academic credit may be granted for these studies so that a student may be able to complete a full college year abroad. Prospective students must have successfully completed one year of college French, German or Spanish or the equivalent as applicable, except for Italian. It is recommended that students desiring to participate do so during their sophomore year. Applicants must consult with their major professors, the Communication and Languages Department and the ACA Coordinator prior to enrollment. The Registrar, the chair of the applicant's major department, and the Academic Standards Committee will determine how the credits are applied.

Disability Resource Center

The policy of Walla Walla University is to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, regarding students and applicants with disabilities. The University is committed to providing access to programs and services to qualified individuals who have a documented disability. To receive assistance, students must submit formal documentation to the Disability Support Services (DSS) using Accommodate using their university email and password which is found on the DSS website. Since accommodations are not retroactive, it is in the student's best interest to submit documentation as soon as possible. Documentation guidelines are available through the University website.

The staff works with students to arrange needed accommodations based on their documentation and individual needs. Examples of accommodations are: exam accommodations, books and other print material in alternate format, equipment and technology access, classroom relocation, accessible housing, and other services. 

The DSS office is located in the lower level of Village Hall. For more information contact: Disability Support Services, Walla Walla University, 204 S. College Ave., College Place, WA 99324. Phone: (509) 527-2366. 

The Student Development Center (SDC) offers drop-in tutoring free of charge and private tutoring for a minimal fee to all students enrolled at Walla Walla University. Tutoring is offered to students taking classes in the areas of business, mathematics, engineering, languages, science, and writing. Tutoring in additional areas is available upon sufficient demand. The writing center helps students with papers assigned for any class, and reading and study skills classes are offered to improve those specific academic skills. Disability support services are available for students with documented disabilities. 


If you are registering for classes prior to the financial clearance deadline for the upcoming term, you do not need financial clearance to register for classes. However, financial clearance is required for any registration after the financial clearance deadline. Remember, academic advisor clearance is always required to register.

Each quarter, several “tests” are run:

  1. Did the student have a 2.0 or better term GPA last term enrolled?
  2. Does the student have a 2.0 or better cumulative GPA?
  3. Did the student complete at least 70% of their attempted credits last term?
  4. Has the student completed at least 70% of all their attempted credits?

If a student “fails” one or more tests, they are put on “warning” status.

The next term enrolled, if a student on “warning” status “fails” one or more tests, even if they are different tests, their financial aid is put on hold.

For more information about the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, see Academic Progress.

Students must meet SAP requirements to retain their WWU Achievement scholarship.  For more information about the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy, see Academic Progress.

Undergraduate tuition is calculated at a per credit rate for course loads of 1-11 credits. A single rate bracket tuition is charged for 12-16 credits. There is a reduced tuition rate for each credit above 16 credits.