April 15-17, 2018
Walla Walla University is pleased to announce the first annual Walla Walla University Piano Festival, sponsored by the Department of Music. This year's guest artist and masterclass clinician is distinguished American pianist, Christopher Harding, chair of the piano department at the University of Michigan, and prize winner of numerous national and international competitions. Harding will also present a solo recital.
Participating in the festival
Participation in the festival is by invitation, and talented young pianists will be encouraged to submit a prescreening video for review by a selection committee. Selected participants will be invited to perform in the recital, tour the Walla Walla campus, and meet with, Jinhyang Park, professor of piano, as well as academic and financial advisors to learn more about studying at Walla Walla University.
A highlight of the festival will be a public masterclass with Mr. Harding, featuring selected festival participants, as well currently enrolled Walla Walla University piano majors. Following the masterclass, an award will be presented to an outstanding pianist selected by Harding and Park.
January 31, 2018: Applications and prescreening video recordings due
February 15, 2018: Applicants notified of invitation
March 1, 2018: Invitee deadline for confirming participation
April 15-18, 2018: Piano Festival at Walla Walla University
Piano Festival Schedule
- 4-9 p.m.: Rehearsal at Melvin K. West Fine Arts Center Auditorium for the recital
- Morning: Campus tour, residence hall tour, advisor meetings for music, student finance, and academics
- 2-4 p.m.: Recital (all participants will be performing in the Melvin K. West Fine Arts Center Auditorium)
- 5-7 p.m.: Masterclass with Christopher Harding for current piano major students
- 7-7:30 p.m.: Question and answer session with Christopher Harding
- Morning: Individual meetings with Jinhyang Park for prospective student music majors
- 2-4 p.m.: Masterclass with Christopher Harding for selected participants
- 4-4:30 p.m.: Award announcement
- 7-8:30 p.m.: Christopher Harding Recital