February 24-26, 2019
Walla Walla University is pleased to announce our second annual Walla Walla University Piano Festival! This event is proudly sponsored by Walla Walla University’s Department of Music. This year's guest artist is Dr. Tanya Blaich, a masterclass clinician and distinguished pianist. She has performed in venues all across the United States and Europe. Dr. Blaich is also an established teacher who has facilitated both masterclasses and recitals at Dickinson and Dartmouth colleges, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, at Brandeis, Columbia and Notre Dame Universities among others! She currently is a faculty member of New England Conservatory’s collaborative piano and voice departments, serving as the co-coordinator of the Liederabend Series at NEC.
Participating in the festival
Participation in the festival is by invitation, and talented young pianists will be encouraged to submit a prescreening video for review by a selection committee. Selected participants will be invited to perform in a recital, tour the Walla Walla campus, and meet with, Dr. Jinhyang Park, one of our own music professors who has a passion for piano. Students will also be given the opportunity to meet with academic and financial advisors to ask questions while learning more about the studies offered here at Walla Walla University.
A highlight of the festival will be a public master class with Dr. Blaich, featuring several young artists, including a few current Walla Walla University piano majors! Following the master class, an award will be presented to an outstanding pianist selected by Dr. Blaich and Dr. Park. The festival will conclude with a solo recital featuring Dr. Blaich, she will be joined by guest artists baritone Klemens Sander and our very own Dr. Park.
January 15, 2019: Applications and prescreening video recordings due
January 18, 2019: Applicants notified of invitation
January 24, 2019: Invitee deadline for confirming participation
February 24-26, 2018: Piano Festival at Walla Walla University
Piano Festival Schedule
- 3-6 p.m.: Rehearsal at Melvin K. West Fine Arts Center Auditorium for the recital
- Morning: Campus tour, residence hall tour, advisor meetings for music, student finance, and academics
- 10-11 a.m.: Guest Lecture by Dr. Tanya Blaich
- 2-4 p.m.: Recital (all participants will be performing in the Melvin K. West Fine Arts Center Auditorium)
- 5-7 p.m.: Masterclass with Dr. Tanya Blaich for current piano major students
- 7-7:30 p.m.: Question and answer session with Dr. Tanya Blaich
- Morning: Individual meetings with Jinhyang Park for prospective student music majors
- 2-4 p.m.: Masterclass with Tanya Blaich for selected participants
- 4-4:30 p.m.: Award announcement
- 7-8:30 p.m.: Tanya Blaich Recital