Campus construction projects on Bowers Hall and the Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic continue to move forward. Check back to this page for updates.
November 8, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
Construction is finished, inspections are complete, and the certificate of occupancy for the whole building has been issued from the City of College Place, as well as from the Department of Health for the clinic.&nbs
Monday: Furniture arrived and was installed; exam tables were moved into the exam rooms to prepare the clinic for review by DOH; WWU’s IT moved the testing computers from Meske to the new Testing Center.
Tuesday: The city inspector did his final walkthrough, measured the height of the countertops for compliance with ADA guidelines and gave verbal approval for occupancy; the architect did a back check on the punch list and took pictures of the finished project; Providence IT installed equipment for the clinic.
Wednesday: Bekins Movers moved things from Meske Hall to the newly remodeled space; new building occupants were on hand to assist with moving/organizing/setup; final project information including photos was sent to DOH; WWU’s IT moved and set up PCs and other network equipment for therapists; schedules were set up for doors with access control.
Thursday: The Counseling and Testing Center opened and therapists saw clients in their new offices; WWU IT created badges and granted card access to doors with access control; clinic staff organized and stored supplies and files; Providence IT continued to work on equipment.
Friday: Counseling again saw clients; the clinic continued organizing; Providence IT finished configuring PCs and other equipment; WWU’s IT worked with testing to get computers and other equipment in working order; DOH issued their final approval.
November 2, 2017 | Bowers Hall
- The building is dried in and being heated for installation of flooring and painting.
- The Eldorado Stone installation is finished on the exterior and rough landscape work is underway.
- The front glass window system frames are installed. They were supposed to be delayed until the end of November, but only arrived three days after their original delivery date.
- The stair case is installed and the crew is working on patterns for the glass inserts this week with delivery of the inserts at best in three weeks.
- Restrooms are being finished out with amenities for completion.
- The final classroom is seeing carpet installation today with only the hallways and common areas needing flooring.
October 30, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Furniture installation is underway.
- Cabinets installation is almost complete, with final touches being made to locks, caulking, and cleaning.
- Both of the reception desks are completed.
- Exam room accessories have been installed; window coverings are in; shelving for storage rooms and janitor room is installed.
- In order to expedite the opening of the clinic in its new location, exam tables were brought over (one from Meske and one borrowed from Providence) and an ADA exam chair came from Facility Services. Pictures will be sent to the Department of Health for a final review of the new clinic.
- The remainder of this week will be spent moving the Counseling and Testing Center and the University Health Clinic to their new location.
October 23, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The fire sprinklers and the fire alarm system passed inspection, and the electrical has been approved.
- Access control is working, the building has been re-keyed, interior signage is installed, the exterior sign is re-assembled and lettered, window sills and trim are installed, the vestibule restrooms are open to public use, wireless access points set up and ready to go, and cameras are installed.
- Furniture delivery is delayed until next Monday, Oct. 30.
- This week exam room accessories, cabinets, shelving in janitor and storage rooms, and window coverings will be installed; paint touch-ups will be completed.
October 16, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The fire alarm is completed; network switches have been installed and configured; the clinic personnel will be onsite installing their equipment later this week; door hardware is installed; Pearson VUE testing center cameras were installed; all ceiling tiles were installed; main vestibule doors were replaced.
- This week we are working to configure door access control and to key the new spaces with the groups requested; Pearson VUE testing cameras will be configured this week; interior signage will be installed; the exterior sign will be assembled and re-lettered; window sills and trim will be completed; fixtures will be installed in the restroom; and shelving will be installed in the janitor’s room, storage rooms and closets.
October 9, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Last week plumbing fixtures were installed in the three new restrooms; most of the carpet base was completed; progress was made on door hardware including door closers, latches, panic hardware, door stops and locks; glass was installed for the testing rooms windows and doors; work proceeded on the cabinets and countertops; and the fire alarm panel was installed and the lighting package was started.
- This week progress will continue on the cabinets; the lighting and the fire alarm will be completed; the contractor’s crew will continue to install door hardware, restroom/exam room accessories, and window trim; hardware and wiring to operate the doors with access control and ADA push buttons will be installed; the main vestibule doors will be replaced; ceiling tiles will be installed; and if time allows the exterior sign will be re-assembled and prepped for lettering.
October 2, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The floor coverings were completed last week (carpet, LVT, VCT, walk-off mat and tile), more networking was finished, some cabinets were installed, some electrical finish work was completed, new panels for the exterior sign were fabricated and fitted to the sign and the pieces for the window sills and trim were cut to size.
- This week will be focused on: wall base and transitions between different floor coverings, HVAC controls, interior doors, glass and hardware, cabinets and countertops, fire alarm, windows sills and trim, plumbing (sinks, faucets, toilets, and flushometers), paint panels for exterior sign, electrical (switches, switch plates, outlet covers, lighting, and controls), fire sprinklers, network (cover plates, terminate ends), and HVAC diffusers.
September 25, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Door jambs have been primed and painted; the ceiling grid has been installed; numerous network cables were pulled and terminated in the walls; the wall racks and ladder racks were installed in the IT room; and some electrical and HVAC work took place.
This week the floors will be prepped for installation of the carpet and tiles; modifications will begin on the exterior sign; progress will continue with cabinets, plumbing, electrical work, networking, and carpet installation.
September 18, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- All hard surface flooring has been laid, including flooring in the exam rooms, restrooms, lab, and storage rooms; the VCT (vinyl composition tile) in the storage rooms has been sealed and waxed; and the missing piece of concrete for the picnic table near the SW corner of the building was poured on Friday.
- This week painting will be completed; built-in cabinets will be installed; the ceiling grid and tiles will be installed; network cables will be pulled, ends terminated, an IT room setup; and the HVAC transfers and controls will be installed.
September 11, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- This week progress will continue with painting, flooring, the fire alarm, electrical work, and the vestibule doors
September 4, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Last week mudding and taping was completed and the floor and wall tile was installed for the restrooms.
- This week the focus is on finishing the walls: taping, masking, priming and then painting; electricians will continue to work on connecting circuits to the new electrical panel.
- Construction remains on schedule for substantial completion in October 17.
August 28, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Drywall has been installed; a new transformer and electrical panel were installed; the Barnes and Noble doors were installed; mudding and taping also continued and will be completed this week.
- This week the electricians will continue to work on the panel and transformer, and run additional conduit for electrical circuits; the clinic and main entry doors will be installed; the vestibule floor will be prepped; and the floor and wall tile for the bathrooms will be installed.
August 21, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The drywall for the soffit over the receptionist desk is finished; pipes and ducts have been insulated; hooks have been installed for networking and electrical work continues.
- This week the crew aims to finish the drywall including the taping and mudding; additional prep work for network, access control and electrical will continue; and doors to the vestibule will be installed.
August 14, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- More than half of the drywall has been hung and all wall insulation is finished.
- This week the crew will finish hanging, taping, and mussing the drywall; walls will be primed for texture; duct installation will continue; network hangers and the cable tray will be installed; in the vestibule the ceiling grid will be demolished and the soffit will be framed.
August 8, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Door jambs have been set in place, blocking has been installed, the rough-in plumbing is finished, the HVAC ducting and hydronic lines have been insulated and the electrical rough-in is completed. The plumbing, HVAC, and electrical systems were also inspected and approved for cover, which means drywall can now be installed.
- This week drywall will be installed. There are several types being used to reduce noise, resist moisture, and back tile. Insulation will also be installed.
July 31, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Electrical rough-in is almost complete; HVAC units are all in place; significant plumbing work was completed; the framing is finished; and the floor trenches have been filled in.
- This week door jambs will be set in place, plumbing work will continue, and HVAC units will be insulated.
July 24, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The floor drains have been installed, the sewer tie-in is complete, the fire sprinkler system work has been finished, submittals were reviewed by the architect and engineers, HVAC units and ducting have been installed, and plumbing has been run for the HVAC units and the sinks and toilets.
- This week the goal is to finish the electrical rough-in, complete the installation of the HVAC units and ducting, fill in floor trenches, and continue work on the plumbing. Framing will also be completed this week.
July 21, 2017 | Bowers Hall
- All structural concrete is now complete on the south addition and framing for the south-facing window system was in place.
- Two large girder trusses have been placed with their corresponding supports and the mezzanine beams have also been also placed.
July 10, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The floor has been prepped for floor drains and the electrical floor box; a new handrail has been installed on the south side of the building; more than half of the fire sprinkler work was completed; HVAC units were installed; landscape fabric and gravel was put in around the sidewalk on the east side of the building; some electrical rough-in was completed; and Barnes and Noble shelving was set up and installed
- This week progress will be made in the following areas: electrical rough-in, floor drain installation and sewer tie-in, plumbing for HVAC and for sinks and toilets, completion of the fire sprinkler system, wall framing, HVAC ducting and unit installation, and B&N slat wall replacement installed.
July 3, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- More demo and framing work has been completed; a raised floor for the storage room was built
- The HVAC ducting will be moved to prepare for installing units; electrical rough in and framing will continue; concrete will be trenched for an electrical floor box and for floor drains; Barnes and Noble shelving and other display units will be assembled and installed; and the replacement handrail for the south door will be set in place.
June 26, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The last of the concrete and dirt was removed from the plumbing trenches last week and the plumbing drains were installed and tested. After passing inspection the trenches were backfilled and concrete was poured to fill them in.
- Framing will be completed this week.
- Preliminary electrical work will include installation of conduit to run wiring for some of the networking, electrical outlets, access control and ADA pushbuttons.
June 19, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Base plates have been installed for wall framing and the concrete floors have been opened up to service the sewer lines.
- Plumbing drains will be installed and the trenches will be backfilled.
- Preliminary work will be done on the HVAC and electrical of the north side of the building.
- Framing will continue for the clinic and Counseling, Testing, and Wellness.
June 12, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Significant demolition has been completed for the clinic and Counseling, Testing, and Wellness space, including: removal of ceiling tiles and grid, flooring, and walls, and electrical demo. Chalk lines were used to lay out the walls for the new exam rooms and other spaces, and to double check measurements.
- The dumpster enclosure was finished, and the final prep for the asphalt was completed. 3rd Street and the north sidewalk will be open for use very soon.
- Concrete will now be cut to connect the sewer lines for the new restrooms and sinks.
- New walls will be framed.
June 5, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Barnes and Noble has opened for business in their newly remodeled space.
- This week will be focused on demoing the north side of the building.
- Exterior work will continue, extending the road closure of 3rd Street between College Avenue and Ash Avenue.
May 29, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Barnes and Noble is moving into their newly remodeled space on the south side of the building. The Bookstore will be closed all of this week – until June 5 – for this move.
- The curb cuts/driveways on 3rd Street will be poured, as well as the sidewalk along the east side of the building and the pad for the dumpster enclosure.
May 26, 2017 | Bowers Hall
- Elevator pit footing is poured with shaft walls are being formed to pour the first level next week.
- Foundation walls are being prepped for a system to level and fill for stone installation. There will be a mockup of the stone done on the northwest corner of the building in the next two weeks to see the layout and window detail needed for full order of materials.
- Site work has started with excavation and material removal on the south side for the new addition. This will be ongoing next week.
- Steel stud framing in the interior has just begun with rooms starting to take shape.
- The front stairs have been removed and the porch area framed in for the restrooms.
- Electrical, including some still in-use knob and tube wiring has all been removed.
- Basement plumbing has been cut into the floor and is ready for concrete.
- Computer lab electrical floor boxes have been set in anticipation of the floor being raised about 10” with concrete.
May 22, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- HVAC work, including installing HVAC units, piping, and ducting, is being completed.
- Walls and trim are being painted on the bookstore side of the building.
- Electrical is being worked on for the bookstore side of the building including: installing switches for Barnes and Noble lights, adding outlets for lighting on textbook units, and wiring HVAC units.
- Tile is being laid.
- Fire sprinkler work including pressurizing the system is being completed.
- Barnes and Noble shelving is being assembled.
- Cabinetry is being worked on.
- Overhead door and counter for online order pickup window is being installed.
- Work continues on the exterior of building—gutters, curbs, sidewalk, etc.
May 15, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Tie-in to the City water main in 3rd Street is being set up.
- PIV and FDC are being installed for fire sprinklers.
- HVAC system continues to be worked on.
- Networking for Barnes and Noble is being set up.
- Ceiling grid is being repaired and extended.
- 3rd Street sidewalk is being demoed.
- 3rd Street sidewalk form is being made for the re-pour.
- Exterior work is being done on the east side of building.
For safer and easier access to the exterior work, 3rd Street will continue to be closed between College Avenue and Ash Street through the end of the month.
May 8, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- 3rd Street between College Avenue and Ash Avenue is now closed through the end of May in order to complete the exterior work.
- Tile is being removed.
- Sprinkler pipes and fittings are being installed in the interior of the building.
- Electrical rough-in is beginning (this refers to the rough installation of the electrical wiring, boxes, fixture mounts, etc.).
- Walls are being pre-primed and textured in preparation for paint.
May 1, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Work is currently being done on the south side of building for the bookstore to transition to that space; once the south side is done and Barnes and Noble has been moved work will continue on the north side of the building.
- Last week the following was completed: framing, drywall, tape and mud on the north/south dividing wall; repair to ceiling grid as needed; electrical demolition work; and openings cut for online order window and doorways.
- This week the following will be worked on:
- Heating and cooling system demolition
- Patching, insulating, and sealing openings which are no longer needed
- Excavating fire riser location on loading dock (contractor crew is digging (by hand) 7’ down from the concrete floor)
- Fabricating pipe and fittings for fire sprinkler system
- Adjusting and/or install ductwork for heating and cooling system
- Electrical and plumbing
- Between now and the end of May work will be done outdoors: pouring sidewalks from each of the doors on the east side of the building connecting to the sidewalk along 3rd Street; connecting the fire line for the building to the water main in the middle of 3rd Street; building a dumpster enclosure; replacing the curbs, gutters, and sidewalk from College Avenue to Ash.
April 24, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- The framing of the dividing wall is finished.
- Drywall, tape, and mud is on the dividing wall on south side.
- Ceiling tiles have been removed and stored as needed for access to heating and cooling system
- Openings for new doors and order windows have been cut and framed.
- The contractor and crew are working behind the scenes to prepare submittals, order supplies like flooring, and studs, and coordinate subcontractors.
April 21, 2017 | Counseling and Testing, the University Bookstore, and the University Health Clinic
- Construction started with permit in hand on Tuesday, April 18.
- All Barnes and Noble merchandise and operations have been moved to the north side of the building.
- Fixtures and shelving have been moved out of area on the south side that will become the new retail space.
- Demolition has started.
- A dividing wall is being built between the south and north sides of the building.
March 28, 2017 | Bowers Hall
- The Bowers Hall project started with asbestos abatement, completed on 3/8/17.
- Contractors have started demolition and are salvaging all usable items. Materials not being re-used or saved for other purposes were taken to Walla Walla Builders Re-Supply Store (about 3,000 lbs. worth of materials), and will get new life with other projects throughout the valley in a continued effort of sustainability.
- Six loads of wood totaling more than 9,000 lbs. were taken to W2 Construction for grinding and recycling.
- 6000 to 10,0000 lbs. of brick and concrete with be hauled to KIE Concrete for use in new road projects.
- Also about 2,700 lbs. of metal are also being recycled.
- Continued discovery and planning are ongoing as demolition continues.
- Demolition will continue with the exterior cladding and brick, along with finishing up the inside demo into next week.
- With more flooring up and removed, more asbestos tiles are being removed from the 2nd floor.