Programs Leading to State Certification or Licensure

The following programs at Walla Walla University are intended to prepare students for careers that may require certification or licensure in the State of Washington in order to practice certain professions. If a student is located outside of the State of Washington, Walla Walla University has provided the following information about requirements for certification or licensure in other states. Although we try to update this information regularly, state requirements often change, thus it is strongly encouraged that prospective students contact the appropriate state licensing agency to find out whether Walla Walla University’s programs currently meet the educational requirements in that state.

School of Education and Psychology

  • Master of Education (M.Ed.)
  • Master of Initial Teaching (M.I.T.)

Educator licensure is governed at the state level. Candidates who complete WWU’s state approved preparation programs for teachers and administrators will be recommended to the Office of the Superintendent of Public instruction (OSPI) for licensure. Information regarding reciprocity and what states will accept Washington’s certificates .

Educators should be aware that each state has specific requirements that they may be required to complete for full licensure. Most often, this is specific testing. Since WWU’s programs are state approved, the state they are moving to will usually give the candidate 1-3 years to meet any outstanding requirements required by the new state.

Washington Public Instruction information

School of Nursing

  • Bachelor of Science (B.S.N.)

The nursing degree offered by WWU is nationally accredited and recognized in all 50 states. See School of Nursing accreditation page.

Washington State information

Oregon State information

School of Social Work and Sociology

  • Master of Social Work (M.S.W.)
  • Doctor of Social Work (D.S.W.)

The Master of Social Work degree offered by WWU is national accredited and recognized by Washington State.

Washington State information

Association of Social Work Boards information for all states

The Doctor of Social Work degree offered by WWU is regionally accredited by NWCCU.