WWU Non-academic Use Boating Policy
Please note the following procedures that need to be followed for all WWU-sponsored non-academic boating activities, with the exception of the Rosario Beach Marine Laboratory (see WWU Educational and Scientific Use Boating Policy):
- All occupants of motor boats, canoes, kayaks, row boats, rafts, paddleboards, etc., shall wear a Coast Guard Approved Personal Flotation Device (PFD) at all times.
- Prior to using a personal boat, the WWU Boat Lease Agreement must be completed, signed by the boat owner, and submitted to Risk & Safety Management for review and approval with a completed Contract Approval Process form and a copy of the boat owner's proof of property damage and liability insurance coverage. Risk & Safety Management will retain a copy of the signed agreement and return the original agreement to the sponsoring department.
- All occupants of boats will sign a WWU Water Sports Waiver found on the WWU Waiver Policy page.
- No boat shall be used over 50 feet in length, unless chartered with a complete crew.
- All WWU whitewater rafting trips must include the services of a professional whitewater rafting guide.
Interim Policy During COVID-19: The following boating procedures must be followed in addition to the Educational and Scientific Use Boating Policy
- Boats should be operated/manned by the minimum number of people necessary for any given activity.
- All people on the boat shall maintain the maximum safe distance from each other possible while still accomplishing necessary tasks.
- All people on any boat shall wear face masks except SCUBA divers with regulators in their mouth.
- All boats in use will be supplied with hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes for use during operation.
- All surfaces on the boat that people commonly touch with their hands, such as steering wheel and throttle in the whalers or tillers in the outboard motors, shall be disinfected immediately after use.
- Boats should not be left in areas with easy access from the public, such as Sharpe's Cove dock.