Social media is an important tool which some departments may wish to utilize to communicate with their audiences—current students, alumni, and prospective students. View the social media policy >
Resources for managers
When you create a social media profile, it's important to have a plan for the content that you will be publishing. A content calendar can help you plan ahead and will lead to higher quality and more consistent content that engages your audience effectively. MUR has developed a content calendar template that you can use to help you create your content strategy.
Once you've used the content calendar to develop a plan for what and when you will be posting on your social media platforms, it can be helpful to schedule posts to automatically publish on their own. There are two ways to do this:
1. Schedule content natively within individual platforms:
- Schedule Facebook posts >
- Schedule Twitter posts >
- Note: Instagram does not support auto-scheduling at this time
2. Use a free third-party scheduler:
- Schedule posts on Facebook and Twitter via Hootsuite >
- Schedule posts on Facebook and Twitter via Buffer >
- Schedule Instagram posts via Later >
If you choose to schedule posts using any of these methods, please do continue to check your accounts for notifications at least once a day and remain aware of what is coming up in the schedule to be auto-posted. While scheduling can be a time-saver, it's not a leave it and forget it solution. If you have any questions about these methods, please contact Marketing and University Relations.