Page menu

J-1 On-Campus Employment

What is on-campus employment?

On-campus employment includes:

  • Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship
  • Employment on the premises of the school you are authorized to attend (UW).

Hourly/Time Limits:

  • You can work no more than 20 hours per week during the regular academic quarters.
  • You can work more than 20 hours per week during quarter breaks (check the UW academic calendar) and your annual vacation quarter.
  • The employment can be authorized up to 12 months at a time.
  • On-campus employment authorization is cancelled if you graduate/complete exchange program, fail to maintain J-1 status, or transfer to another school.

How to Apply for On-Campus Employment Permission:

  1. Receive an on-campus job offer (but do not start the job prior to getting ISS permission).
  2. Apply for on-campus work authorization through our webform below. You will need the following information to complete the webform:
  • Employer name (UW hiring department)
  • Employer address
  • Number of hours per week
  • Employment start and end date
  • Whether or not the employment relates to a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship, or if it simply occurs on the UW campus

  • 3. Wait for employment authorization confirmation from ISS. Your ISS adviser will update your J-1 SEVIS record with your employment information. The SEVIS record update is the authorization.
  • 4.  If you do not yet have a Social Security number (SSN), follow Social Security number application instructions.

Last update on May 1, 2018