What is on-campus employment?
On-campus employment includes:
- Employment pursuant to the terms of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship
- Employment on the premises of the school you are authorized to attend (UW).
- You can work no more than 20 hours per week during the regular academic quarters.
- You can work more than 20 hours per week during quarter breaks (check the UW academic calendar) and your annual vacation quarter.
- The employment can be authorized up to 12 months at a time.
- On-campus employment authorization is cancelled if you graduate/complete exchange program, fail to maintain J-1 status, or transfer to another school.
How to Apply for On-Campus Employment Permission:
- Receive an on-campus job offer (but do not start the job prior to getting ISS permission).
- Apply for on-campus work authorization through our webform below. You will need the following information to complete the webform:
- Employer name (UW hiring department)
- Employer address
- Number of hours per week
- Employment start and end date
- Whether or not the employment relates to a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship, or if it simply occurs on the UW campus
- 3. Wait for employment authorization confirmation from ISS. Your ISS adviser will update your J-1 SEVIS record with your employment information. The SEVIS record update is the authorization.
4. If you do not yet have a Social Security number (SSN), follow Social Security number application instructions.