Serious Economic Circumstances
Off-Campus Employment for Serious Economic Circumstances
You may apply for permission from ISS for employment that is necessary because of serious, urgent and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring J-1 exchange visitor status.
ISS recommends that you schedule an appointment with your primary ISS adviser to discuss your situation prior to looking for a job and applying for employment permission through ISS.
- ISS can authorize employment on account of serious economic circumstances up to a maximum of 12 months at a time.
- After ISS approval, you can work no more than 20 hours per week, except during school breaks and the annual vacation quarter.
- Total employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week (for example: if you work on campus 10 hours per week, you can only apply for permission for 10 hours of off-campus work due to a serious economic situation).
How to Apply
Submit the following documents to your primary ISS adviser either by email or to the ISS front desk:
1. Proof of job offer (could be email offer, official letter from employer, etc.)
2. Email or letter that includes the following information:
- Description of your financial situation; explain in detail the serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen after you gained J-1 status.
- Name of employer
- Name of supervisor
- Employer address
- Start date of employment
- End date of employment (cannot be longer than 12 month-increments)
- Number of work hours per week
Allow ISS 7-10 business days for processing. Your ISS adviser will evaluate your application. If approved, you will receive written permission from ISS for off-campus employment.