Vehicle Rental Information and Insurance
Note: 15-passenger vans may not be used for any University activities. Watch the following video about the risks of 15-passenger vans and alternative options. Video
Rental Vehicle Insurance
- SAVINGS! Whenever possible, please use Enterprise Rental Car Company for all University business. Please note that this account cannot be used for personal travel. In addition to savings in the cost of renting the vehicle, the rate provided through this account includes the Damage Waiver for no additional charge, as well as roadside assistance (some services may incur a charge). So, in the event of an accident, the Enterprise Rent-A-Car insurance policy will cover damages instead of a claim being processed through our University business auto policy. The Car Rental Policy is located on the Accounting webpage under the Accounts Payable subheading of the Faculty & Staff Resources page. An Enterprise Rental Car Policy card is available from Risk & Safety Management. All drivers of the rental car need to be on the Approved Driver List.
If there is a significant price difference, feel free to rent with another company.
- Rented vehicles being used for University business by an authorized Approved Driver, within the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico, that are not rented through Enterprise are covered by the University business auto insurance policy. An insurance ID card is available from Risk & Safety Management, which you can carry as proof of coverage. Please waive any insurance offered from the rental company, as it would be duplicate coverage.
- University Vehicles: Facility Services has a limited number of 7+ passenger vehicles that can be rented as well as Suburbans, Airporters and buses. Contact Facility Services for more information.
- Options for University guests:
- They may rent a vehicle in their own name and cover it with their own personal/business insurance, and ask the University department to reimburse their expenses, or
- They may drive University owned or rented vehicles if they are an Approved Driver. Paperwork must be sent in advance to Risk & Safety Management for approval. Required paperwork may be accessed at Driver & Transportation Policies/Forms.
International Vehicle Rental
Note: 15-passenger vans may not be used for ANY University activities. Watch the following video about the risks of 15-passenger vans and alternative options. Video
Vehicles rented outside the United States, Canada or Puerto Rico are NOT covered by the University business auto insurance policy. Please contact Risk & Safety Management for required insurance coverage prior to travel.
Please don’t depend on credit card insurance coverage, as it is limited with exclusions and does not provide adequate coverage.