Driver & Transportation Policies/Forms

The intent of the Walla Walla University driver policy is to provide safe transportation.

Approved Driver Policy

All drivers of Walla Walla University-owned or business-rented vehicles, or those driving their personal vehicles with passengers for WWU-coordinated transportation must be on the Approved Driver List (SIGN IN required). See Transportation Options for WWU Activities below.

Apply to be a WWU Approved Driver

Send the following documents to Risk & Safety

WA-Licensed Applicants Only:

  • Email to request the Driving Record Release of Interest form. This form gives us permission to run your Motor Vehicle Record which is required to process your application.

Contact Risk & Safety Management if you have questions.

Motor Vehicle Records & Driving History

Motor vehicle records and driving history will be reviewed for all drivers. In order to qualify, you may not have more than three moving violations and no at-fault accidents during the previous three years. If you are approved, your name will be posted to the Approved Driver List within 4-5 business days. If you are not approved or we have a question, you will be contacted by email.

  • Please report any driving record changes throughout the year to Risk & Safety Management.

  • The driver will be responsible for any citations for which he/she is at-fault.

  • The minimum age for drivers of all vehicles is 19

Drivers of Vehicles with 7+ Occupants

Those who apply for this designation must also:

  • Be at least 21 years of age

  • Have completed the online driver safety course within the last four years. If you need to take the course, you'll be given the instructions after your driver questionnaire has been reviewed.

Note: 15-passenger vans may not be used for ANY University activities.  Watch this video about the risks of 15-passenger vans and alternative options.

Transportation Options for WWU Activities

Option 1. 

All participants drive independently with no arrangements made by the Sponsor.

Option 2.

Transportation is specifically arranged for by the sponsor and is provided by University-owned, business-rented, or privately-owned vehicles.

The Sponsor shall:

  • Accompany students when possible

  • Complete the Vehicle Transportation Request form from Facility Services for University-owned or chartered vehicles

  • Complete the rental agency agreement for rented vehicles

  • Verify the following for any any driver of privately-owned vehicles:

    • They are on the Approved Drivers List and have the 7+ designation if applicable

    • Provide proof of current insurance on their vehicle, and understand that their personal auto insurance would cover any accidents or injuries that might occur

Alternative Transportation Policy

This policy applies only to travel outside of College Place and Walla Walla city limits. 

If any students choose to use transportation other than the WWU arranged transportation, the Sponsor will:

  • Create a list of students who choose the WWU arranged transportation and file it with the appropriate department or activity request form.

  • Provide a Hold Harmless Agreement form to be signed by those who choose NOT to travel in the WWU arranged transportation and file with the list of students using the arranged transportation.

  • Verify that the driver of the non-arranged transportation is on the Approved Driver List and has the 7+ designation if applicable.

  • Verify that the driver has current insurance on their vehicle.

Special Use: One-Way Hold Harmless Agreement - File with the appropriate department or activity request form

WWU Service Vehicles

All student employees shall:

  • Only use the vehicle for work related pickups and deliveries, not for personal use.

  • Return the vehicle to the department after use.

  • Only carry passengers approved by the department manager or designee.

Vehicles Requiring a CDL License

Contact Facility Services for CDL Driver arrangements.

WWU Guests

Guests may drive University vehicles if their name is on the Approved Driver List. Paperwork may be sent in advance to Risk & Safety Management for approval. Any guest who is not an approved driver, should rent vehicles from a rental company under their own name and insurance, and be reimbursed by the appropriate University department.

Other Vehicle Use Policies

Personal Vehicle Use
Gator Use

Event Details

Shown in {{ }}