Residence Hall History
The original Conard Hall (now Meske Hall) was built in 1934 and named for Helen C. Conard who was preceptress and teacher from 1899-1907. North and West wings were added to Conard Hall in 1954 and 1961. The original Conard Hall was partitioned in the 1980s for male residents, and was known as Sittner East. In 1996 Sittner East was renamed Meske Hall (see below). A skywalk connects present-day Conard Hall to Foreman Hall with the Foreman Hall lobby serving both Conard and Foreman Halls. Conard Hall has 110 double-occupancy rooms, houses mainly lower-division (Freshman and Sophomore) women, and is located on the corner of SE Second St. and Ash Ave. on the eastern border of the campus.
Sittner Hall is the main men's residence hall at WWU, and is located in the heart of campus. Built in 1946 and named after Herman R. Sittner (Dean of Men from 1927-1937), the hall was later expanded to nearly double its size. The current configuration is four stories high with accommodations for approximately 400 men. The building is divided into two wings, North and South, and each wing on each floor is served by two Resident Assistants.
Built in 1970, seven-story Foreman Hall, originally called High-rise, is named for Dorothy Foreman-Beltz who was the Dean of Women from 1931-1945. It houses mainly upper-division women in 100 double-occupancy rooms. A skywalk connects Conard Hall to Foreman Hall with the Foreman Hall lobby serving both Conard and Foreman Halls. Foreman Hall is located on the corner of SE Second St. and Ash Ave. on the eastern border of the Walla Walla University campus.
Meske Hall was originally built as a women's residence hall in 1934 known as Conard Hall. In the mid-1980s, the West wing of Conard Hall was made a men's residence hall, known as Sittner East, and was renamed after Walt Meske in 1996 (Dean of Men 1975-1982, Vice-President of Student Affairs 1986-1991). Meske Hall now houses about 100 upper-division men and the lobby floor contains the Counseling, Testing, and Wellness Center, Diversity Services, and the University Health Clinic.