COVID-19 has made it difficult to participate in many of our usual volunteer opportunities. However, we know that Walla Walla University students are passionate about service, and we have compiled this list of virtual opportunities for you to get involved and make a difference wherever you might be.
For additional information about how the CHE is working during these unusual times, read our COVID-19 Response.
To report any issues with the opportunities listed below, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Be My Eyes is a free mobile app with one main goal: to make the world more accessible for blind and low-vision people. The app connects blind and low-vision individuals with sighted volunteers and companies from all over the world through a live video call.
You must download the app to apply. Use these app download instructions for more information on how the program works.
- Technical requirements: skills, training, experience, etc.
- Smartphone with microphone & internet access
- Age: 17+
Crisis Text Line is the free, 24/7 text line for people in crisis in the United States. The service is powered by volunteer Crisis Counselors who work remotely—anywhere with a computer and secure internet connection works. Crisis Counselors answer texts from people in crisis, bringing them from a hot moment to a cool calm through active listening, collaborative problem solving, and safety planning.
- 30-hour web-based crisis counseling and intervention training
- Age: 18+
This mentoring program of over 20 years focuses on helping kids with ACE’s (Adverse Childhood Experiences). A study done by the CDC has shown that a consistent presence of a caring adult significantly buffers the effects of ACE’s. Telementoring is the new avenue of mentoring during COVID-19.
Students of WWPS (Walla Walla Public Schools) and CPPS (College Place Public Schools) are eligible to participate. After completing the online application, a background check will be conducted. Then a mentor will be matched to a mentee.
30-minute online training (ACE’s, Rules)
Pass background check
Personal device with camera/microphone
Secure internet connection
Commitment of 30-minute session with mentee per week
Imagine the impact we can have if we all share cards overflowing with encouragement with those who need it most right now – our healthcare workers, hospital patients, and essential workers.
We have the cards, printing, and mailing handled. All we need is you! Will you help us send hope?
The American Red Cross is closely monitoring the outbreak of COVID-19 and preparing to carry out their lifesaving mission in the event of any possible disruptions, as well as supporting public health agencies to help communities prepare.Their need for volunteers is constant and continues to evolve as they navigate this health crisis.
Volunteer opportunities include supporting blood donations and delivering much-needed services to your community. We even have a wide variety of remote (work-from-home) opportunities available.
- An approved application
The Smithsonian offers several exciting digital volunteering opportunities:
- Smithsonian Transcription Center
- Citizen scholars are invited to transcribe historic documents. Transcription makes these important materials more accessible to researchers around the world, as well as the general public.
- Archives of American Gardens
- The Smithsonian’s Archives of American Gardens has images of gardens around the United States that need to be positively identified.
- Encyclopedia of Life (EOL)
- Volunteers have the opportunity to translate knowledge from around the world about life-forms on earth with the goal of gathering this information and making it available to everyone.
- Invader ID
- Help track changes in fouling communities and look for new occurrences of invasive species.
- Smithsonian Wikipedian Volunteer Program
- Digital volunteers who are experienced and motivated Wikipedia editors are needed to assist in contributing content to Wikipedia related to Smithsonian collections and areas of expertise.
TED Translators are a global community of volunteers who subtitle TED Talks and enable the inspiring ideas in them to crisscross languages and borders.
Once an application has been approved, the volunteer must subtitle a 90-minute TED talk to continue. Application status will be available no later than 5 business days.
A mentorship program is also available. The 3 month program pairs TED Translators who are looking to develop their subtitling skills with experienced volunteers who are eager to collaborate and share their expertise.
- Complete application form
- Language/subtitling skills
- Over 100 language options
- Computer and secure internet access
- Age: no requirement
- Each translation requires: transcription, translation, review, and approval
- New volunteers should work on one assignment at a time
- Assignments should be completed within 30 days
- Before attempting to review, volunteers must subtitle 90 minutes of talk content
Translators without Borders depends on volunteers to translate millions of
words, but also to help run the organization. It works with volunteers who
have all kinds of great skills – and many who learn new skills that they can later use in their
jobs. This program benefits refugees and immigrants among others.
Whether you are interested in translating medical texts or translating for crisis response, there are engaging projects available to suit all
preferences. Professional translators are especially encouraged to apply. Fill out the application to begin. Application status will be available within 5 business days.
- Fluent in at least one language other than native language
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) program contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. Online volunteering allows organizations and volunteers to team up to address sustainable development challenges – anywhere in the world, from any device. Online volunteering is fast, easy – and most of all, effective. When skilled, passionate individuals join forces online with great organizations working toward sustainable development goals, everyone wins.
Citizens worldwide benefit from volunteer services. After submitting an application, applicant will be notified if they are selected for a specific project according to their experience.
- Computer and secure internet access
- Age: no restriction
Please note that CHE does not control, operate, or manage any of the organizations listed above. Publication of any specific volunteer opportunity does not necessarily constitute or imply an endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by CHE towards the individual or entity responsible for providing such volunteer opportunity.