Language-learning resources

Language Lab - KRH 215
Our department has a lab dedicated entirely to our language students.  Our language lab is more than another study room. It's about language immersion and interaction.  In this lab you can study with fellow students, take advantage of computers with language software, and use videos, books and magazines in the language of your choice to enhance your language skills in a different way.

Student Development Center
The student development center on WWU’s campus is a free tutoring resource for students.  The language tutors are experienced and able to offer conversational practice or suggestions in editing papers.  For more information on the language resources available at the student development center please visit the center's webpage.

Placement Tests for Language Majors
Not sure which class you should take to start your language studies? Want to take a CLEP test and get college credit for the language skills you already have? Visit our placement test page.

Which class should I take?

Students with little or no previous language study should enroll in French 101, Spanish 101, or German 101.  These are introductory courses, so previous experience  in the languages is not required. If you already have strong French, Spanish, or German language skills, you can earn college credit for what you already know by taking a CLEP (College Level Examination Program) test.  


Taking the CLEP test allows you to test out of some of the lower level language courses. Passing this test allows you to start in a higher level language class, and to receive college credit for classes below your entry level.  CLEP tests may not be repeated, and must be taken prior to your completion of a total of 45 quarter hours of university credit.

 German and Spanish Examination Scores:

40-44: Credit for 4 quarter hours in level 101
45-49: Credit for 8 quarter hours in levels 101 and 102
50+: Credit for 12 quarter hours in levels 101, 102, 103

French Examination Scores:

44-48: Credit for 4 quarter hours in level 101
49-53: Credit for 8 quarter hours in levels 101 and 102
54+: Credit for 12 quarter hours in levels 101, 102, 103

Our Counseling and Testing center offers the CLEP test, but you must register on the College Board website.  Contact Counseling and Testing Services to schedule a test time at (509)527-2147.

Event Details

Shown in {{ }}