RN Advanced Placement Pre-Admission Requirements
Acceptance of RN's into the Walla Walla University Bachelor of Science in Nursing program is based on available space in the fall quarter of the senior class each year. Application files are to be completed by the end of summer so that they can be evaluated by the Admissions Committee for acceptance and be ready if space is available in fall's senior class.
To qualify to apply to the RN to BS in Nursing program you need:
- Have a current unencumbered RN Oregon license
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above. This includes college level class work only, from all regionally accredited colleges attended. Grades from vocational schools are not included in this calculation.
- Have completed the following pre-requisite courses from a regionally accredited university or community college (see the transfer guide for appropriate courses from various Portland area schools)
- College Writing (English Composition) - 6 credits
- Research Writing - 3 credits
- Physical Education (physical activity courses) -2 credits
- Anatomy & Physiology with labs - Full sequence
- Microbiology with labs
- Introductory Chemistry with labs - 8 credits
- Human Nutrition
- General Psychology
- General Sociology
- Applied statistics (must have a MATH prefix or additional math courses may be required)
- Human Development
- History - 8 credits
- Humanities - 12 credits (WWU limits humanities to literature, philosophy, art/music appreciation and history. No hands on music or art is accepted)
- Religion courses are not a pre-requisite; do not take them from other colleges as they may not transfer
- Completed enough transferrable credits to be classified as a college senior (136 credits)
- Pass a standardized examination to validate nursing knowledge to receive advanced standing as a senior level nursing student (validation exam only needed if student has been licensed from greater than 5 years). Based on successful completion of this exam, RN's with a current license are granted 15 lower division nursing credits and 29 upper division nursing credits and are exempt from taking NRSG 210, 211, 212, 213, 321, 331, 344 and 354.
- To submit a completed application file to the WWU Enrollment Department. The content of this application file is the same as for any other Portland campus transfer student with the addition of a copy of the RN license.
- Acceptance by the WWU SON Admissions and Progression Committee.
Applying to the RN to BS Program
To apply to the RN to BS in Nursing program, the following steps need to be completed:
- First, apply to Walla Walla University, fill in the on-line application form and have a credit card handy for the $40 application fee. Apply here.
- Next, apply to the School of Nursing using our online application form found here.
- Send official college transcripts to WWU Office of Enrollment, Walla Walla University, 204 S. College Ave, College Place, WA 99324. This includes an official transcript for any Advanced Placement credits from College Board.
- Submit a copy of your current RN license, any state, to the Office of Enrollment.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation (prefer teacher, employer or co-worker). This can be done online here or by hardcopy sent to WWU Office of Enrollment. One letter must be from the director of the school of nursing from which the applicant graduated, or from the employer if applicant is more than five years from graduation.
- Complete WWU School of Nursing pre-admissions testing. These must be scheduled with the Portland admissions advisor. Click here for testing information.
- Your pre-admission test scores will be sent to the Office of Enrollment by the School of Nursing who administers the tests.
For questions, please contact the Portland program advisor at Portland.Advising@wallawalla.edu or by phone at (503) 251-6115 ext. 17304