LPN Advanced Placement Pre-Admission Requirements
Acceptance of LPN's into the Walla Walla University Bachelor of Science with a major in nursing program is based on available space in the fall quarter junior class each year. Application files are to be completed by the end of summer so that they can be evaluated by the Admissions Committee and be accepted and ready if space is available.
To qualify to apply to the LPN to BS in Nursing program you need:
- An unrestricted LPN license in any state. Submit a copy to the School of Nursing. This license must remain unrestricted throughout the program.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 2.75. This includes college level class work only-from all regionally accredited colleges attended. Grades from vocational courses are not included in this calculation.
- No grades of C- or below in prior nursing courses or cognate courses.
- To have completed the following prerequisite courses from a regionally accredited university or community college. (See the transfer guide for appropriate courses from various local colleges):
- 8-9 credits of College Writing (English Composition) including adequate Research Writing content
- 2 credits of Physical Education (activity courses)
- Full sequence of Anatomy & Physiology with lab (credits cannot be more than 5 years old)
- Microbiology with lab (credits cannot be more than 5 years old)
- 8 credits of Introductory Chemistry with lab (credits cannot be more than 5 years old)
- Human Nutrition
- Introduction to Statistics (must have a MATH prefix or additional math courses may be required)
- General Psychology
- General Sociology
- Human Development
- 1 general studies history course (3-4 credits must be done now; 8 credits are required for graduation)
- 6 credits of humanities (12 credits are required for graduation) WWU limits humanities to ONLY literature, philosophy, art/music appreciation or history. No “hands on” art or music applies.
- Religion courses are not a pre-requisite; do not take them from other colleges and expect them to transfer.
- Prerequisite requirements are NOT the same as graduation requirements.
- To have completed at least 85 transferrable credits of required cognates, general studies and electives that apply to the nursing major. Applicants are accepted on a space-available basis.
- Have clinical experience in direct patient care equivalent to the current beginning junior nursing students in the program.
- To Pass a standardized examination to validate nursing knowledge and receive advanced standing as a junior level student. (Fee Applies.) Based on successful completion of this exam, LPN's with a current license are granted 15 lower division nursing credits and are exempt from taking NRSG 210, 211, 212,and 213.
- As a substitute for the above standardized exam, if you took a standardized, comprehensive LPN NCLEX predictor exam, please submit your exam results to WWU School of Nursing Portland campus to determine if your score is high enough to grant you validation. Many LPN programs now give this type of exam routinely at the end of their program.
- To submit a completed application file to the WWU Enrollment Department. The content of this application file is the same as for any other Portland campus transfer student with the addition of a copy of the LPN license and documentation of the standardized LPN validation exam score or the substitute LPN NCLEX predictor exam score.
- Acceptance by the WWU SON Admissions and Progression Committee.
Applying to the LPN to BS in Nursing Program
To apply to the LPN to BS in Nursing program, the following steps need to be completed:
- First, apply to Walla Walla University, with a credit card handy for the $40 application fee.
- Next, apply to the School of Nursing using our online application.
- Send official college and vocational school transcripts to:
WWU Office of Enrollment
Walla Walla University,
204 S. College Ave,
College Place, WA 99324
(This includes an official transcript for any Advanced Placement credits from College Board.)
- Submit a copy of your current LPN license, any state, to the Office of Enrollment.
- Submit documentation of a passing standardized LPN validation exam score (taken at WWU School of Nursing) OR an LPN-NCLEX predictor exam score meeting the WWU School of Nursing minimum standard.
- Submit three (3) letters of recommendation (prefer teacher, employer or co-worker). This can be done online or by hardcopy sent to WWU Office of Enrollment.
- Complete WWU School of Nursing pre-admissions testing. These must be scheduled with the Portland admissions advisor. (Your pre-admission test scores will be sent to the Office of Enrollment by the School of Nursing who administers the tests.)
For questions, please contact the Portland program advisor at Portland.Advising@wallawalla.edu or by phone at (503) 251-6115 ext. 17304