Page menu

History of the Walla Walla University School of Nursing

The School of Nursing first began as a diploma program in 1897 operated by the Portland Sanitarium and Hospital (now Adventist Medical Center, located adjacent to the School of Nursing in Portland, Oregon). In 1949, it became a part of Walla Walla College which in 2007 became Walla Walla University.

Walla Walla College was the school from which even the early diploma program admitted its students. Thus, the Walla Walla College has been involved in nursing education for "pre-nursing" since 1932.

1897 1st class enters a 2-year diploma in nursing program offered by the Portland Sanitarium and Hospital
1899 1st class of 4 students graduate from the Portland Sanitarium and Hospital nursing diploma program
1932 Walla Walla College develops a pre-nursing program to meet the needs of nursing schools
1936 The Portland Sanitarium and Hospital nursing program changes entrance requirements to 32 semester hours of pre-nursing courses from a college of approved standing
1946 Walla Walla College Board voted to accept recommendations to establish a collegiate nursing program and an agreement between Portland Sanitarium and Hospital and Walla Walla College was established whereby the School of Nursing came under the sponsorship of Walla Walla College
1947 Admission to the diploma program closes. The last diploma class to graduate in 1950.
1948 Walla Walla College School of Nursing accredited by the Washington State Board of Professional Nurse Registration
1951 First class of 19 students to graduate with Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing from Walla Walla College
1953 Initial full accreditation granted by the Accrediting Service of the National League for Nursing
1966 Initial accreditation granted for the RN aspect of the curriculum by the Board of Review for Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Programs of the National League for Nursing
1967 Dedication of the Life Sciences Complex on the College Place campus which included a School of Nursing suite
1975 Largest graduating class of 109 students
1977 School of Nursing moves to the 2nd floor of the new Health Sciences Complex on the College Place campus
1978 Portland campus relocated from Yamhill Street location to the Market Street location at the same time Adventist Medical Center moved. A new residence hall for students was built to house 146 students. New School of Nursing building was also constructed on site.
1982 Associate of Science in Nursing degree option available upon completion of the junior year
1988 Last year the Associate of Science in Nursing degree offered
1991 Summer entry program (accelerated track) implemented with 12 students completing the sophomore nursing courses on the Portland campus
1997 Centennial anniversary of the School of Nursing
2001 50th anniversary of the 1st graduating class with a Bachelor's Degree from WWC
2007 Walla Walla College becomes Walla Walla University
2007 The James and Marion Miller Foundation grants the School of Nursing money to build on to the Portland campus building. Additional funding provided by the Lundgren Foundation and other private donors
2009 Anonymous donor provides money to renovate the Winter Educational Complex on the College Place campus to provide better facilities for the School of Nursing and the School of Social Work
Last update on May 10, 2018