Page menu

History of Walla Walla University School of Nursing

 

The School of Nursing first began as a diploma program in 1897 operated by the Portland Sanitarium and Hospital (now Adventist Medical Center, located adjacent to the School of Nursing in Portland, Oregon).  In 1949, it became a part of Walla Walla College which in 2007 became Walla Walla University.  

Walla Walla College was the school from which even the early diploma program admitted its students.  Thus, the Walla Walla College has been involved in nursing education for "pre-nursing" since 1932.  

 

Significant School of Nursing events include:

1897

1st class enters a 2-year diploma in nursing program offered by the Portland Sanitarium and Hospital

1899

1st class of 4 students graduate from the Portland Sanitarium and Hospital nursing diploma program

1932

Walla Walla College develops a pre-nursing program to meet the needs of nursing schools

1936

The Portland Sanitarium and Hospital nursing program changes entrance requirements to 32 semester hours of pre-nursing courses from a college of approved standing

1946

Walla Walla College Board voted to accept recommendations to establish a collegiate nursing program and an agreement between Portland Sanitarium and Hospital and Walla Walla College was established whereby the School of Nursing came under the sponsorship of Walla Walla College

1947

Admission to the diploma program closes. The last diploma class to graduate in 1950.

1948

Walla Walla College School of Nursing accredited by the Washington State Board of Professional Nurse Registration

1951

First class of 19 students to graduate with Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing from Walla Walla College

1953

Initial full accreditation granted by the Accrediting Service of the National League for Nursing

1966

Initial accreditation granted for the RN aspect of the curriculum by the Board of Review for Baccalaureate and Higher Degree Programs of the National League for Nursing

1967

Dedication of the Life Sciences Complex on the College Place campus which included a School of Nursing suite

1975

Largest graduating class of 109 students

1977

School of Nursing moves to the 2nd floor of the new Health Sciences Complex on the College Place campus

1978

Portland campus relocated from Yamhill Street location to the Market Street location at the same time Adventist Medical Center moved. A new residence hall for students was built to house 146 students.  New School of Nursing building was also constructed on site.

1982

Associate of Science in Nursing degree option available upon completion of the junior year

1988

Last year the Associate of Science in Nursing degree offered

1991

Summer entry program (accelerated track) implemented with 12 students completing the sophomore nursing courses on the Portland campus

1997

Centennial anniversary of the School of Nursing

2001

50th anniversary of the 1st graduating class with a Bachelor's Degree from WWC

2007

Walla Walla College becomes Walla Walla University

2007

The James and Marion Miller Foundation grants the School of Nursing money to build on to the Portland campus building. Additional funding provided by the Lundgren Foundation and other private donors

2009

Anonymous donor provides money to renovate the Winter Educational Complex on the College Place campus to provide better facilities for the School of Nursing and the School of Social Work

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Last update on September 19, 2016