Maria Bastien, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Education
• Email Address: Maria.Bastien@wallawalla.edu
• Office Phone: 509.527.2616
• B.S., 2004, Public Relations/Journalism, Pacific Union College
• B.A., 2010, English: Literature and Language, University of Windsor
• M.A., 2011, English: Literature and Language, University of Windsor
• Ph.D., 2017, Education - Society, Culture, and Literacies, University of Ottawa
Research & Publications:
• Agencement, Second Language Education, and Becoming: A Deleuzian Take on Citizenship. Critical Inquiry in Language Studies. (with Fleming, D., Waterhouse, M., and Bangou, F.) 2017.
• My Chinese is in a Tiny Box with a Roof, My French and English Vocabulary are in Boxes with No Roof. The Wind Blows Them Away: Creation, and Resistance - Reconceptualizing Early Learning with Multilingual Children. Cultural Studies <=> Critical Methodologies (with Masny, D.) 2016.
• Family Literacy Interventions in Canada: Meeting the Needs of Newcomer Parents with Young Children. Education Review (with Masny, D.) 2015.
• EDUC 211/511 Introduction to and Foundations of Education
• EDUC 350/EDCI 550/PSYC 350 Language Development in Young Children
• EDUC 382/EDCI 582 Teaching & Learning: Social Studies
• EDUC 475 Teaching Reading Skills in the Content Area