Distinguished Faculty Lecture - Kari Firestone
- Fine Arts Center
- November 11, 2018
You're a Good Man Charlie Brown
- Village Hall
- Nov 3, 4, 8, 10, 11 (see wwuDrama site for start times)
- More Info
Career Meet-Up: Business & Healthcare
- Bowers Hall Lobby
- Thursday, November 1, 2018
About Colloquium Credit
Every communication major needs six colloquium credits to graduate. A colloquium is also a great way to learn more about your career of choice, and to meet professionals working in that field.
To earn one colloquium credit:
- Attend a colloquium (choose from the list above, or propose another idea to Dr. C)
- Submit a colloquium report form online within 48 hours (remember, no report, no credit)
- To see how many colloquium credits you have, check your degree audit in PeopleSoft Student Center. Credits are updated at the end of every quarter.
Credits not matching up with your records? Get in contact with us.
Panasonic Marketing Intern
Every moment of every day, people all over the world turn to Panasonic to make their lives simpler, more enjoyable, more productive and more secure. Since our founding almost a century ago, we’ve been committed to improving peoples’ lives and making the world a better place–one customer, one business, one innovative leap at a time. Come join our journey.
For more information, see Panasonic internship information.
School Garden Communications Internship
School Gardens supply multiple benefits by providing an outdoor classroom where students experience curriculum in a natural environment and are exposed to growing and cooking healthy foods. Walla Walla Valley Farm to School seeks to provide maximum use and sustainability of school gardens. To promote sustainability, we would like to support a student intern who will help to establish a communication framework that enables school communities to pass on important school garden contacts, protocols, inventories, lessons, and schedules as well as a brief description of annual activity. Then, despite turnover in school community (parents, teachers or administration) there will be easily accessed school garden sustainability information.
Contact: Beth Thiel
email@example.com | Full Description of School garden communications internship
Media and Outreach Intern
"Our mission is salmon recovery through habitat restoration, education, and promoting sustainable fishing. The Media and Outreach Intern will further our mission by creating outreach materials for general use, fundraising, social media, and our website."
Contact: Tri-State Steelhandlers
firstname.lastname@example.org | Full Description on Tri-State Steelhandlers internship
Benefits Hub Team - United Way Benefits Hub Associate
Help students at some of the most diverse colleges in Washington State get by, get ahead, and stay ahead while pursuing their education. This program is from 9/3/18-7/17/19.
Loma Linda University: Creative Media Intern - Available Every Summer
Work directly with Carl Canwell, the director of Creative Media in the Office of Enrollment at LLU. Creative Media Interns produce videos for potential students, and work in all aspects of video production: pre-production, production, and post-production. Loma Linda offers a paid internship at $11/hour, and also provides free housing within walking distance of the office, and a round-trip plane ticket to southern California. Send your resume to Carl Canwell to apply.
Blue Mountain Television: Production Intern - Flexible Dates
Blue Mountain Television has ongoing opportunities for production interns interested in a variety of jobs such as DVD authoring, Social Media, Promos, TV show Production, and marketing. Blue Mountain is looking for interns with Skills in Photoshop, Premiere, Encore, After Effects. Camera work would be helpful as well, though it isn't required. If interested, inquire about what kind of positions are currently available.
Walla Walla Village Church Television Ministries: Intern Editor - Flexible Dates
The Walla Walla Village Church has ongoing opportunities for a paid intern to edit church service recordings and create DVDs. Work must be done on site at the church. Applicants should be familiar with Photoshop, Encore, Premiere, and Publisher. Vegas and DVD architect are also available if preferred. Prospective interns should also be comfortable moving files on a windows machine, and network.
Internships for ACA Students While Studying Abroad
ACA offers volunteer internships for students studying abroad. Get real work experience in your language of choice, and earn academic credit for your time.
Missionary Internship in Hong Kong: Ask for next available dates
The intern's primary task will be to raise awareness of missionaries to China and their needs to an audience that has little understanding of China today. Interns should impress Western audiences of the need for prayer and financial support in Chinese missions. The job will include writing for newsletter's letter campaign's and more, social-media posts, editing reports from indigenous teams on the front lines, etc. Interns will also travel in China, and help with public speaking, videography and other tasks for the Chinese Union office team.
Contact: Audrey Folkenberg | email@example.com
Adventist Health System Career Opportunities
Visual Communications Specialist
This position is responsible for visually telling the core story of Adventist Health System across a variety of media and platforms. Consults with, and informs supervisor and clients regarding trends, new ideas and technology related innovation. Promotes good customer service by ensuring that clients receive their projects in a timely fashion by working independently with an aptitude for team collaboration. Should demonstrate deep knowledge and experience with mobile apps, video production, motion graphics, photography, and visual storytelling.
Specific job details include:
- Storyboard, script, capture and edit video to communicate the core story of AHS to a variety of audiences including leadership.
- Upload video content to appropriate portals for review or distribution
- Provide photography coverage including headshots and capturing campus events for internal/external communication needs.
- Create high quality and visually appealing presentations, documents and infographics for internal, external, web and executive communications.
- Work with clients to create surveys to effectively capture data and summarize that data into reports consistent with the needs of the client.
- Responsible for maintaining Corporate Communications intranet page ensuring that content is prioritized and posted in a timely fashion
- Support AHS initiatives and department priorities harnessing the power of new media
- Troubleshoot, test and analyze technical problems of a variety of digital communication tools to determine a solution
For more info, visit here.
This position is responsible for a wide variety of communication needs including writing, editing, data analysis, and coordinating and updating communication collaterals for various strategic initiatives and client requests. This position will help to foster and improve messaging and communication for initiatives while maintaining positive relationships with the project leaders. This person will also be an active member at Communication Department events and will continually seek opportunities to provide value to the Corporate Communications and Strategy Management department.
Specific job details include:
- Support the communication needs of organizational strategic initiatives and client requests through effective writing, planning, coordination, design and execution, monitoring project deadlines for consistent delivery
- Create materials to advance strategic initiatives while following AHS graphic standards and policies, keeping key messages consistent and standardized, escalating risks to supervisor and department leaders as appropriate
- Write clearly and informatively, edit work for spelling and grammar, adapt writing style to meet need
- Execute communication audits as needed to contribute to approach and timeline for utilizing communication partners
- Coordinate distribution of initiative communication toolkits to Adventist Health System entities
- Develop materials to support go-lives as needed, monitoring execution and distribution to ensure accuracy and delivery to end-users
- Develop post implementation communication related to mass audience changes.
- Guide and direct assigned field communication champions on communication efforts and distribution timelines
- Gather and analyze information skillfully and resolve problems in early stages with minimal supervision
- Work closely with supervisor to support communication requests
- Complete tasks in a proactive manner, actively seeking ways to produce high quality,
- efficient work.
- Responds promptly to assignments and tasks as requested and keeps commitments to deadlines
- Display original thinking, seeks increased responsibilities, demonstrate willingness to make sound and accurate decisions
- Assist with various corporate events as deemed necessary
- Perform special assignments as requested by supervisor
For more info, visit here.
Adventist Colleges Abroad provides a unique opportunity for you to travel, study abroad, and earn college credit through Walla Walla University. If you decide to major or minor in one of the languages we offer, you will spend time abroad with ACA as a part of your degree program. Depending on your language of study, ACA schools are located in:
Every year, WWU sends 30-40 students abroad with ACA. Our students come back excited about their experiences and ready to share.
ACA Advisors: Jean-Paul Grimaud and Alma Alfaro
In addition to the required coursework for each degree, Communication majors need to complete a senior project before graduating, and language majors need to complete their exit exams to show proficiency in their language of choice. There are also a few more requirements. Ask your advisor if you have questions about any of the items below.
Communication Major Requirements:
- Complete a senior project
- Submit a senior outline to academic records
- Earn at least four communication colloquium credits
- Complete the communication internship requirement
Language Major Requirements:
NCA Legacy Scholarship
The NCA Legacy Scholarship is a program aimed at supporting Communication students in their academic endeavors!
“The NCA Legacy Scholarship seeks to broaden the Communication discipline’s relevance to various publics by providing a $1,000 scholarship to a local college student pursuing a degree in Communication, Journalism, or related program within the host city/region where the NCA Annual Convention is being held.”
- Open Now
- Winner gets $4,000 and their very own blog on InternationalStudent.com
- Learn more at this link
Alexia 2018 Student and Professional Documentary Photography Grants
- The First Place student prize is a $1000 grant and tuition for a semester at Syracuse University
- The deadline is Mar. 1, 2018
- Free to apply!
- Learn more here!
Dordt College - Free College Journalism Camp
- A two-week course for college students of all majors and recent graduates who want to strengthen their communication and reporting skills
- Runs from May 17 to June 2
- Students receive free tuition, housing, lunches and dinners
- Apply here