Frequently Asked Questions

Questions About the Department

How big is the Department of Communication?

The communication department currently consists of 111 students with six full time faculty plus a number of contract professors and staff. We have five general classrooms, a television studio, and various media production rooms such as a green room, audio room, control room, and editing bays for students’ use.

How much student-teacher interaction is there in a typical class?

We have fairly small class sizes, which is good for students. Our professors are always open to helping students outside of class, and there is generally a lot of interaction within the class period.

What resources does the communication department offer to its students?

Our primary goal as a department is to support our students. We want our students to succeed in an environment that’s optimized for their education and wellbeing. For a comprehensive list of student resources, click here.

Can I use Department of Communication facilities without being a communication department member?

The studio, Black Box, and Village Hall can be reserved, but people from the department have priority.

I am a community member. Can I rent equipment belonging to the communication department?

Yes! We loan equipment out to the community, such as film gear including cameras, camera stabilizers, drones, lights, lenses, microphones, etc. for a fee based on the price of the equipment that you borrow.

Questions About Degrees

How long does it take to earn a degree in communication?

The course work for a bachelor of art in communication is set up to be completed in four years. Students with multiple degrees, student mission experience, or Adventist Colleges Abroad quarters may be advised to take additional quarters to avoid overload.

Can these degrees set me up well for graduate school?

Yes. Many of our students go on to complete graduate programs.
The associate degree in speech pathology is a pre-professional program that leads to continuing education at Loma Linda University.

How specialized/diverse are class subjects toward a particular field of study?

They are fairly specialized. Although every major will take general departmental classes that count for their specific major, and that every major within the department will take, we offer a number of classes specialized toward a particular major. With that being said, we try to design programs with the philosophy that every program should be broad within its own scope.

Can I find an internship through the communication department?

In addition to the internship opportunities you can find on your own, the department receives internship notices from our alumni, local businesses, and other nonlocal organizations. We then pass that information on to you!

Do I have to attend Department of Communication colloquia if I am only taking a minor within the department?

If you are only taking a minor from the department, you are not required to attend colloquium events. However, you are welcomed and encouraged to come to any event, including colloquia, that you would like.

How do I check how many colloquia I have?

The amount of colloquia that you have can be found on your degree audit.

How do I find my degree audit?

Your degree audit can be found on Mywwu/ highpoint/ student center classic/ my academics/ view my degree audit.

Questions About Scholarships and Registration

How do I register to be a student?

Registration to become a student is similar for everyone, but there may be differences in the process depending on if you will be an incoming freshman or transferring from another college or university or are applying to a graduate program. For a specific step-by-step process on how to register, visit the steps to enrollment page.

What do scholarships cover/not cover?

General academic scholarships awarded by Walla Walla University will cover tuition costs while studying any of our programs on any of our campuses. If a student elects to study with Adventist Colleges Abroad (ACA) or another educational institution, general academic scholarships will not apply during that time, but can be resumed when he/she returns to study at WWU.