General Policy
Emergency Procedures
Support Services
Satellite Campuses
Walla Walla College Disability Support Services Service Animal Policy

In accordance with the Americans With Disabilities Act, service animals are permitted in College facilities for persons with documented disabilities. A service animal is any guide dog, signal dog or other animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including but not limited to guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals with impaired hearing, providing minimal rescue or protection work, pulling a wheelchair or fetching dropped items. The service the animal is providing must be directly related to the functional limitation of the personís disability.

Service animals whose behavior poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others or is disruptive to the campus community may be excluded, regardless of training or certification. Therapy or companion animals are not service animals and are not covered under the ADA.

  1. Training: To work on campus, a service animal must be specifically trained to perform a service function. Evidence of successful completion of a recognized licensing or certification program for service animals, or a letter documenting training, is recommended. A copy of the proof of certification should be on file with the Disability Support Services office (for students) or Human Resources office (for faculty/staff).
  2. Identification: The service animal must wear a harness, cape, identification tag or other gear that readily identifies its working status.
  3. Control: The partner/handler must be in full control of the service animal at all times. The care and supervision of a service animal is solely the responsibility of its partner/handler.
  4. Leash: The service animal must be on a leash at all times.
  5. License and Tags: All service animals must have an owner identification tag. If the service animal is a dog, it must be licensed from an approved training program or have current license and tags from local authorities.
  6. Health: The service animal must be in good health. Animals to be housed in campus housing must have an annual clean bill of health from a licensed veterinarian. The service animal must have current vaccinations and immunizations against diseases common to that type of animal. All service animals must wear a current rabies vaccination tag.
  7. Clean-up Rule: The partner/handler must (a) always carry equipment sufficient to clean up the animalís feces whenever the animal and partner/handler are off the partnerís property; (b)never allow the animal to defecate on any property, public or private (except the partnerís own property), unless the partner/handler immediately removes the waste; (c) be responsible for the proper disposal of the animalís feces and for any damage caused by the waste or its removal.
  1. Disruption: The partner/handler of a service animal that is unruly or disruptive (e.g., barking, running around, bringing attention to itself) may be asked to remove the animal from college facilities. If the improper behavior happens repeatedly, the partner/handler may be required to take significant steps to mitigate the behavior before bringing the animal into any college facility. Mitigation may include muzzling a barking animal, obtaining refresher training for both the animal and the partner, or other appropriate measures.
  2. Ill Health: Service animals that are ill should not be taken into public areas. A partner/handler with an ill animal may be asked to leave college facilities.

In relating to service animals and their partner/handlers, faculty, staff and students should:

  1. Allow a service animal to accompany the partner/handler at all times and everywhere on campus, except where service animals are specifically prohibited due to health, environmental, or safety hazards.
  2. Refrain from petting, feeding, or deliberately startling a service animal.
  3. Immediately report any disruptive behavior of a service animal to Campus Security. No attempt should be made to separate a partner/handler from his or her service animal.
  4. Any questions regarding service animals or their partner/handlers should be directed to Disability Support Services (for students) or Human Resources (for faculty/staff).

Walla Walla College
DSS Policy
7 March 2002