• Use or possession of illegal drugs or alcoholic beverages, is not permitted on the premises. (Premises meaning:  any location on or in Walla Walla University owned properties including the main campus.)  Should tenant be found to possess or be in use of alcohol, tenant may be subject to disciplinary action and/or Citizenship Probation (see WWU Student Handbook).
  • Also, Smoking is NOT PERMITTED ANYWHERE on or in Walla Walla University owned properties.  This includes but is not limited to: parking areas, breezeways, sidewalks, flowerbeds, alley’s and Birch Street between E. Whitman Drive and NE A Streets


Return to Top




  • Personal air conditioners that fit in windows are NOT ALLOWED in any college-owned apartments.  University-owned houses may have these (as well as Faculty Court), but they are the sole responsibility of the tenant for upkeep, and must be removed upon move out to avoid charges.  If you are having problems with your supplied A/C, be sure to clean the filter before calling the office.


  • Extensive car repairs are NOT ALLOWED on the premises without prior permission from the Housing Office.  Cars that are not running and are left in parking areas for more than two weeks at a time will be towed at owner’s expense.


  • In order to keep apartments safe and looking good, we ask that only patio furniture, potted plants, and bicycles be stored on balcony’s (no motorcycles or other vehicles with an engine...propane BBQ’s are acceptable only on Mtn. View balconies).  Any items on balcony or patio must be orderly.  As for Breezeways, and any path that has an entrance/exit, please keep these clear at ALL TIMES (see page 17).  Should an item be left in the breezeways or in front of doors, the Housing Office may confiscate said item, call security to ask them to remove it, or discard the item  (see Fines & Fees for more information).  Doormats are acceptable.


Return to Top




  • If there is a problem with ants, spiders, or other bugs inside your residence, or bees/wasps outside your residence, we ask that you try to handle the situation on your own if that is possible.  If there is a wasp/bee nest, please call the office as soon as you are able.  Otherwise, feel free to try some of the different products that you can find at your local grocery store.  We recommend using Combat Gel for ants, Yellow Jacket and Wasp Traps (Walmart, Home Depot), and for work well.


  • Please note that this policy is for HOUSES only; apartment communities may not have open flame fires of any kind anywhere on the premises.  Though fires anywhere on University-owned property is strongly discouraged, you may create a fire pit, with prior approval, in the back yard of a University-owned house.  The following is a list of Washington state requirements for such activity:
    • You may not burn leaves, debris, or other items as such.  Only wood.
    • Purpose for fire must be for warming, cooking, or religious ceremony.
    • Fire must be at least 20 feet from any structure.
    • Fire must not be larger than 3 feet by 3 feet.
    • Fire cannot be in a burn barrel.
    • Fires are NOT allowed during a state wide ban or a seasonal drought.


  • Though Christmas decorations are allowed, there are a couple of restrictions to take into consideration. Do not staple lights or other decorations to the outside of your residence.  Because of Fire Codes, real Christmas trees ARE NOT ALLOWED in any apartment.  Artificial trees are acceptable and encouraged for use in houses as well.  Either way, don’t leave lights on when you leave your residence.


  • In order to check in to a college-owned housing residence, a fee must be in hand, as well as authorization form from the office of Student Life and Student Financial Services (form available in the Housing Office).  Rent will be charged from the time keys are handed over until the time those same keys are returned (see Fines & Fees). Tenant will also receive a move-in checklist after receiving keys, which allows tenant the chance to make document any problems with the apartment.  Failure to fill out this form and return it to the Housing Office within three days of moving in, could result in additional charges upon move-out.


Return to Top




  • Any violation of the policies listed in the Housing Handbook or Student Handbook could be cause for fines, eviction, or disciplinary action.  Depending on the offense, you may receive one verbal warning for a first offense, a written warning for a second offense, and the third offense may be cause for eviction.
  • One possibility for discipline is Citizenship Probation.  For the Village, Citizenship Probation is often an evaluation period to determine whether or not that student is in the best living environment for their continued success.  It may also be a period of restriction that if violated could result in a student’s status being re-evaluated.  During this 10 week probationary period, should there be any further violation of WWU’s expectations and policies a student’s status in housing and at WWU may be reevaluated.  Other outcomes may include but are not limited to; moving back to the dormitory or school suspension.
  • One more thing:  It’s important that Village students are also aware of the perception of their actions.  Obviously, WWU expects a higher level of responsibility from Village Students.  Because of this higher standard, if the perception of your activity is negative and is brought to our attention, you may be asked to meet with a Dean or Vice President for Student Life to discuss those perceptions and appropriate action.


  • WWU policy states that in order to live in Village Housing one must be a currently enrolled student that has achieved 136 credit hours and/or is 22 years of age (or a current faculty/staff member).  Also, students moving from dorm must adhere to one good quarter of citizenship.  Finally, to remain in university housing one must be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours.  If one is going to drop below that requirement, please contact the office to make arrangements to remain in university housing.
  • Exceptions may include but are not limited to:  students who are finishing Senior Projects or Incompletes (four week limit).  In any case, approval must be obtained from the Student Financial Services office and a letter from an academic advisor may be required.  Please be aware of the importance of maintaining communication with the Housing Office.  Failure to do so could result in eviction.


  • Washington State law prohibits selling of food or beverages from your apartment on university-owned property.  Any other entrepreneurial activity must obtain prior approval through the Housing Office.


Return to Top




  • If a resident is found to be in breach of contract on any point in this handbook or their residential agreement, an eviction or a compliance notice may be given.  In either event, student will be responsible for the fees associated with delivering the notice ($35.00).  In the event of an eviction, the tenant will be responsible for any and all fees associated with the procedure.


Return to Top




  • As per the policy of WWU, open flames are not permitted inside any WWU owned properties (candles included).  Halogen lamps and space heaters that exceed 1500W, are also not allowed.  Extension cords are only for temporary use:  If the number of building outlets is not adequate, a power strip with a circuit breaker *UL Listing or other approved lab testing) may be used though they must be replaced every five years and one power strip may NOT be plugged into another.  Should any of these items be found inside of university-owned housing, tenant(s) may be subject to fines and/or disciplinary action.
  • Also, all walkways and breezeways of apartments are to be kept clear at all times.  Even in apartments without a second floor, there must be a four foot space cleared in front of all entrances.  This includes but is not limited to: bicycles, motorcycles, potted plants, trash, and other miscellaneous items.  If these items are found they will be confiscated and tenant(s) may be subject to fines and/or disciplinary action.  The interior must also be orderly, leaving room for people to easily walk in and out in case of an emergency.
  • Finally, flammable materials shall not be stored in residences or open storage areas and should be stored in FM (Factory Manual) or UL (Underwriters Laboratories) listed containers in enclosed out buildings or storage areas.


  • Firearms, weapons, and ammunition are strictly forbidden on university-owned property.  A firearm is classified as ‘any weapon, which has a rifled barrel and is propelled by a spring, air, or explosives.’  Possession of martial arts weapons, BB guns, paint ball guns, pellet guns, air-soft guns, or anything that works like a gun, bow and arrow, or any other item that may be used as a weapon, including knives and swords, may result in permanent confiscation, expulsion, and/or discipline including up to a $500 fine.


Return to Top




  • Please be aware that due to the status of university-owned apartments as ‘student housing,’ we are only allowed to house current students (please see Eligibility for WWU Village Housing).  Because of this, all students who are not pre-registered for the following quarter, or those who graduate, are required to vacate their apartment the day after the end of the quarter or the day after graduation in June.


Return to Top




  • As per the WWU Student Handbook, there are to be no overnight guests of the opposite gender in your residence.  Because of perception, an overnight stay may be considered as someone who stays past 12:00 a.m. and/or is seen at the residence prior to 7:00 a.m.  This includes siblings and other family members when they are not already roommates (except for parents and/or significantly younger siblings).  Other guests of the same gender are allowed up to three nights once a month or less.  Any violation of this policy may be subject to tenant losing residence status and moving back to residence hall.


  • Some of you will leave for the summer and return in the Fall, but you’d like to hold your apartment for the summer so that you may move back to that same apartment upon your return.  There are only two options that allow you to do that:
    • Continue to pay the rent for the summer.
    • Ask someone to hold the apartment for you.  This means that they live in your apartment during the time you are gone and they check in with the Housing Office so that we can charge their account for rent.  Please be very CAREFUL who you choose, however, since the office does not do pre- or post-inspections for a person holding an apartment.  This means that if that person causes damage in your apartment, YOU are responsible for it.


Return to Top




  • If you are living in a university-owned house and are planning on residing their for longer than a year, it is important that we notify you that we may do periodic inspections of the house as we deem necessary.  The purpose of this is to keep tabs on all of our residences in order to protect them from severe wear and tear.  If an inspection is necessary, the Housing Office will give a 24 hour notice of intent to inspect.


Return to Top




  • Hot tubs & trampolines are NOT ALLOWED on university-owned property.  Pools of any kind are also not allowed at any apartments, however, houses that have a fenced in area may have a pool up to 36’’ deep (MUST obtain prior approval from the Housing Office).


Return to Top




  • If you lock yourself out of your apartment, please call the office during normal business hours or check with your Area Coordinator.  If it is after hours and your AC is unavailable, then call the office at 527-2109 to be transferred to Security.  Please note, there are fees applicable once Security has been notified (see page 15).
  • If you lose a key, the Key Shop at Plant Services charges $30.00 for a replacement key.  If after the charge has been process you find the key, return it to Bob Mead at the Key Shop for a replacement.  If the office feels that for your safety and the safety of future tenants a lock needs to be replaced, the key shop will charge $50.00.


  • Should you have a problem with your residence that needs fixed, please call the office at 527-2109 to place a work order.  In emergency situations, a maintenance staff member will respond as soon as possible.  All other situations will be processed in a timely fashion.
  • Please be aware that by reporting an incident the tenant is giving permission to the maintenance office to enter into their residence.  Once the work order is processed, someone will contact tenant to inform them of a block of time in which someone from the maintenance office will most likely be by to fix the reported problem.   Though tenant is welcome to be present at time of service, we will work to fix problem as quickly as possible whether tenant is present or not.
  • Also, please note that the maintenance department operates from 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. on any given day (except in emergencies which could occur day or night).  This means that there may be occasions when the noise from the maintenance crew may impact a neighboring apartment.  Though we wish we could avoid this, it is necessary to complete work during normal business hours.  Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.  We will do our best to keep it as minimal as possible.
  • If a tenant calls in a work order to be performed and, upon arrival, maintenance determines that there is no work to be done or that the tenant failed to follow directions given by the Housing Office, then the tenant will be charged for the Service Call.


  • As noted earlier, we require a MINIMUM of a 30-day notice of intent to move.  If a 30 day notice is not given, you may be fined up to $250.00 or the rest of that month’s rent, whichever amount is greater.  If you are graduating at the end of Summer, Fall, or Winter Quarters, you are required to move out the day following the end of that quarter.  If you are moving out after graduation in June, you must move out by the day after graduation.  Once notice to move out has been given, you have 10-days to make any changes to that notice to avoid any fines or penalties.  Failure to move on or before date given may also result in fines and/or other consequences such as eviction (see page 10).
  • Also, if a roommate moves out more than two weeks before the other roommate, the roommate remaining in the apartment will be responsible for any and all damages unless a prior inspection is requested.


PLEASE NOTE:  Even with a notice, rent will still be charged until keys are returned to the Village Life Office.


Return to Top




  • Moving within University Housing is STRONGLY discouraged.  From time to time, we have students that need to move from one college-owned housing property to another due to finances.  In order to obtain approval, you must submit a Request to Move Within University Housing form and you may be asked to prove financial need.  Please be aware, however, that if approved the said student will have to pay another Administration and Cleaning Fee (see Fines & Fees).  Other cleaning fees or damages will have to be worked out between roommates if applicable.   If you move without authorization from the Housing Office, you may receive fines or eviction, plus any additional cleaning fees.


  • It is the responsibility of the tenant to keep noise at a respectable level at all times, especially after 10:00 p.m.  Apartment walls are much thinner than one may expect, so be aware that noise should be heard only within tenant(s) own residence.  This includes stereos, TVs, musical instruments, computers, and voices.  If noise is addressed but continues, fines or eviction may apply.  If you are frustrated by noise near your residence, alert your Area Coordinator, call Campus Security at 527-2222 if it’s excessive, or contact the Housing Office.


Return to Top




  • It is the policy of the University Housing Office to allow one person per bedroom in a university-owned apartment. Exceptions to this would include a married couple/family.


  • All tenants residing in University-Owned Housing apartments must register their cars with WWU Campus Security (527-2222).  By registering, each student will receive a sticker to place in their vehicle that allows vehicle to be parked in designated parking areas.  Any vehicle that does not have a parking sticker is considered an unauthorized vehicle and may be ticketed or towed at the owner’s expense.  Please be sure to have all guests park on the street at all times. 


The only pets allowed in university owned student housing (apartments or houses) are fish (total amount of tanks cannot exceed 55 gallons) and approved service animals.  (Approval for service animals must be obtained through Sue Huett at the Teaching and Learning Center.)  PETS ARE NOT ALLOWED in university owned student housing (apartments or houses).  This includes pets of visiting family members and friends.  If Tenant brings a pet onto the premises, for ANY reason, where pets are not allowed they WILL be given a 24 hour notice for a pet inspection.  If there are ANY visible signs of a pet during the inspection the tenant will be served a 10-day notice to move.  In addition, a $100 fine will be given and additional fees for damages will be charged to tenant if necessary.


  • A primary tenant is defined as the person who obtained the residence based upon their position on the University Housing wait list.  The secondary tenant would be the person who is invited into the residence by the primary tenant.  The secondary tenants status is dependent upon the primary tenant.  In other words, when the primary vacates residence, the secondary must do so as well. (Exceptions may include but are not limited to: upon the vacate date of the primary tenant the secondary tenant is the next on the wait list).
  • If there is a roommate conflict and it is determined that the living arrangements are not acceptable, the primary tenant has the right to ask the secondary to move.  The Housing Office will work with the secondary tenant as much as possible to help them find other accommodations, but does not guarantee another residence.


  • The list below contains a few rights of residences, and more specifically, your responsibility to your roommate, should you have one.  How much you enjoy life at the university is really dependent on how much thoughtful consideration you display towards others.  The protection of these rights then, is up to you.
    • The right to read and study in a quiet environment.
    • The right to sleep undisturbed be it day or night.
    • The right to expect that the other roommate will respect what’s yours.
    • The right to live in a clean residence.
    • The right to privacy.
    • The right to have your concerns addressed.
    • The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.


  • The Sabbath is a special day created by God for us to recharge and commune with him.  We expect activities, music played, TV viewing, dress and conversation to be appropriate for Sabbath hours—sundown Friday to sundown Saturday.  This includes but is not limited to refraining from the following activities: moving in or out of your apartment, washing your car, doing laundry. We trust you will receive rich blessings from attending Sabbath services.


  • In accordance with other polices, attaching a dish or antenna of any kind outside of one’s apartment is not allowed.  If a tenant at a house wishes to install one they must obtain prior approval & pay fees (see Fines & Fees).


  • In case of snow, it is the responsibility of the landlord to keep all common areas and parking lots* reasonably clear of accumulated snow or ice.  Common areas include stairways, walkways, and sidewalks.  Tenants in houses are responsible for the removal of accumulated snow on their own sidewalks, porches, and driveways.
  • Parking lots will be plowed as needed.  Though the plows are able to clear the driving space for traffic, they often leave piles of snow at one end or another of a parking area.  Be sure to be cautious at all times as you walk to and from your vehicle as it is difficult to remove all of the snow and ice from parking areas.  Also, beware of vehicles that may slide while entering the parking area.


  • The following must be adhered to for tenant to remain in good standing with their Residential Agreements:
    • The Tenant, their family and guests shall have due regard for the comfort and enjoyment of neighbors, their families and guests.  No musical instruments, radio, television, etc. shall be played in such a manner as to create an annoyance or disturbance at ANY time.
    • Materials, bicycles, garbage, trash or other paraphernalia shall not be allowed in the halls, court areas, decks, balconies or sidewalks of the buildings.
    • Clothing or other materials are NOT to be washed or dried in such a manner so as to be conspicuous to others in the area, except for locations with a permanent clothesline.
    • Tenant will be charged for removal of items left in the apartment or on the premises.


Return to Top




  • Staples or tape of any description must NOT be used to put pictures, post cards, cards, or other items on the wall or wood surfaces.  Please use small nail on walls only (Patching of nail holes should be left for the Housing Office workers so as to be done properly).  Though you are allotted a small number of small nail holes for pictures (approx. 20 per apartment), any excess of that allotment will be charged as damage/repair at $.50 per nail hole upon move out.  So do decorate sparingly.
  • Also, decals, wallpaper or wallpaper boarders are NOT to be used at anytime, nor should any painting be done in apartments or houses.  Contact paper may be used in drawers and shelf liners may be used where applicable.  Should walls be painted or borders put up, tenant will be financially responsible for any work needed to return apartment to the condition it was in when tenant checked in.
  • In addition, nothing should be nailed, screwed, or glued to ANY doors. 


Return to Top




  • Each resident has the right to request a walk through inspection of your residence prior to vacating.  These inspections can help point out additional cleaning that is needed to avoid charges.  If you wish to schedule a walk-through, you MUST do so at least 24 hours in advance of your move (more for a Sunday move).


Return to Top




  • Waterbeds are allowed ONLY on ground floor apartments.


Return to Top



Page maintained by Jessica Kilgore
Last update on May 6, 2014