Accreditor Contact Information

Walla Walla University desires to resolve student complaints and concerns in the most fair and amicable way possible. Most grievances can be resolved within in our institution, and students are encouraged to first direct their concerns to the involved department(s). If the issue cannot be resolved internally, students may then file a complaint.


Federal Regulations require us to provide prospective and current students with contact information for filing complaints with our accreditors, state approval entities, and the appropriate agency in the state where the student resides. Please visit our Complaint Resolution page for contact information by state.

Page maintained by Amanda Fleck
Last update on November 6, 2014