Job Search ~ Getting Started

Am I eligible to work?

To be eligible for on-campus student employment during the school year, you must be registered for at least 12 credit hours of classes.  For summer employment, students - new and returning - must be enrolled for summer classes or be pre-registered for at least 12 credit hours of classes for fall quarter.

Also, before you begin working you must prove employment eligibility.  (Refer to "What forms do I need to complete once I find a job?")

How do I get a job?

LOOK... Even before you arrive on campus you can begin your job search.  Job Scene - a listing of available jobs is available online or on the bulletin board outside the Student Financial Services Office (Canaday Technology Center Room 307). 

If a department that interests you isn't currently advertising, review our Directory of On-Campus Employers and check with the listed contact person to see whether a job in that area might be opening up.

APPLY... Complete an Employment Application (available in the Student Employment Office or online) and make arrangements at the Student Employment Office to have your application photocopied and distributed.  If you personally submit your application, give it directly to the person responsible for hiring.

If you apply for a summer job, know that most departments do not begin hiring for summer until the end of spring quarter (early June).

FOLLOW UP... Consistent, positive contact with an employer increases your chances of getting the job you want.

How many hours may I work per week?

Most students find that 12 to 15 hours of work per week is about the maximum amount they can handle while carrying a full class load.

Students working in more than one department on campus are not allowed to work more than a combined total of 40 hours per week.

According to Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) regulations, international students attending Walla Walla College on student visas are permitted to work only on campus and are limited to a maximum of 20 work hours per week during periods of enrollment.

During the summer, the number of credit hours for which a student is registered corresponds with the maximum number of hours a student may work per week as follows:


Credit Hours
Not enrolled
Maximum Work Hours Per Week

How can my class schedule increase my job options?

Many employers need student workers during morning hours (especially between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 noon). Scheduling your classes so you have two to four hour blocks of time to work during morning hours will increase the opportunities available to you. Having the same hours available each day is also helpful.

How much money can I expect to earn per hour?

The pay scale for most jobs starts at minimum wage (currently $9.32 per hour) for entering freshmen. Students with advanced skills may be paid more, and students who stay in their jobs and whose skill levels increase will normally receive periodic raises.

How will I be paid?

For security and convenience, all Walla Walla University employees are paid by direct deposit. When you are offered a job and accept it, you will need to complete employment documents before you begin working. One of the forms you will be asked to complete is a direct deposit form. By attaching a voided check to the form, you will indicate the financial institution and the account into which you would like your earning deposited. If you do not have a check, you will need to obtain a document from your bank. The document must be on bank letterhead or have the bank logo on it. A bank employee must complete the document listing your account number and the bank transit routing number.

Every other Thursday, your earnings will be placed in your account electronically. You will then be able to access them through your bank, ATM, or checkbook.

You will get a statement of earnings showing how much you made, any deductions, and the amount deposited. Your bank statement will confirm the deposit and give you your new balance.

Direct deposit can be used with any financial institution that accepts Automated Clearing House payments. If your bank, credit union, or savings and loan association does not accept such payments, you will need to open an account with a financial institution that does.

What do employers look for in an employee?

Knowing what characteristics employers want in their employees will make you more successful not only in an interview, but also on the job. Research reveals that employers want employees who are:

  • Dependable - An employer will count on you to show up on time, to stay on the job for the agreed upon number of hours, and to complete your tasks.
  • Neat in Appearance - You should be well-groomed regardless of the type of work you will be doing. Your clothing should be appropriate for the job site. If there is a dress code, follow it.
  • Self-Motivated - An employee who works enthusiastically and responsibly, who doesn't need to be pushed or closely supervised, is highly valued.
  • Conscientious - A diligent attitude is very desirable in an employee. Recognize that the work done in your business or department is important.
  • Loyal - Employers want you to be loyal not only when you are at work, but also when you are off. Speak highly of your department or business. Emphasize the good things they do. If there is a problem, discuss it with your supervisor.
  • Trainable - Employers want employees who listen to and carefully follow instructions, who accept criticism, and who ask questions to avoid making mistakes. A willingness to learn is a great asset.
  • Positive - Having a friendly smile and a positive attitude creates a comfortable atmosphere for you, your co-workers, and customers. Leave your personal problems out of the workplace.
  • Respectful - Your employer will expect you to respect the people and equipment in your workplace. You must also respect the privacy of people about whom you may hear or see information as part of your job. Keep such information confidential.
  • Cooperative - Employers like a team player who is flexible and willing to pitch in whenever needed.
  • Committed - Most employers prefer that you commit to working for them for the entire school year and possibly longer. They also want you to be committed to the work you do. Do it to the best of your ability.
  • Service Oriented - Employers appreciate willingness to go the extra mile. Look for ways to do a job better than people expect.

What do I need to know about being interviewed?

The interview is your opportunity to present your strengths and abilities, to differentiate yourself from other applicants, and to get to know the job, the work environment, and the employer. It is the employer's opportunity to evaluate your appearance, attitude, communication skills, and job qualifications.

The following are specific things you can do to ensure your interview success:

  • Dress neatly and tastefully. Your appearance should tell the interviewer that you are professional, competent, and confident.
  • Bring a short list of past employers and personal references and their addresses and telephone numbers. Don't offer the list, but have it available in case the employer asks for references. (Before using their names on your application or in an interview, ask your references for permission.)
  • Be prepared to describe your work history.
  • Be on time, and know the interviewer's name.
  • Extend a firm handshake.
  • Relax, smile and don't fidget.
  • Establish good eye contact.
  • Be positive, friendly, and businesslike.
  • Listen carefully, and answer questions completely but concisely.
  • Avoid being overly talkative.
  • Be honest
  • If you don't know something, don't be afraid to say so openly.
  • Find out all you can about the job.
  • Don't complain about prior work situations.
  • Make your points politely.
  • Don't exaggerate or downplay your best qualities or your experience.
  • Show interest and enthusiasm. Relate your interests to the organization's.
  • Send a thank-you note. A brief, well-written note can strengthen a potential employer's positive impression of you. 

What if I'm under 18?

Washington State law requires that a Parental Authorization Form be completed for all employees under the age of 18. If you will be under 18 when you start working on campus, please contact the Student Employment Office and request this form.

What forms do I need to complete once I get a job?

The following forms may be filled out in the Student Employment Office and must be completed before you may begin working:

  • Student Employment Application.  Completed applications remain on file in the Student Employment Office.  You may request copies to give to the departments where you apply for work.
  • Direct Deposit Form.  You will indicate the checking or savings account into which you would like your earnings electronically transferred.  (Refer to "How will I be paid?")
  • Student Responsibility Agreement.  This is a general outline of student employees' responsibilities.
  • W-4 Form.  Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate for federal income tax purposes.
  • I-9 Form.  Employment Eligibility Verification Form.  The government requires each student employee present original, unexpired documents verifying the student's identity and employment eligibility.  You will need to present either one item from List A or one item from each of Lists B and C before you will be authorized to work.


  •    Unexpired United States Passport or United States Passport Card
  •    Unexpired Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  •    Unexpired foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  •    Unexpired Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  •    Unexpired foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status with an unexpired period of endorsement
  •    Unexpired passport from the Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of the Marshall Islands with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association


  •    Unexpired driver’s license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color and address
  •    ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  •    School ID card with a photograph
  •    Voter’s registration card
  •    U.S. Military card or draft record, U.S. Military dependent’s ID card, U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card, Native American tribal document
  •    Unexpired driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority


  •    US Social Security Account Number card
  •    Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  •    Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  •    Original or certified copy of birth certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  •    Native American tribal document
  •    U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  •    Identification Card for Use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  •    Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security

How can I avoid losing my job?

Resent research indicates that people lose their jobs for the following reasons (listed in order of frequency):

  • Repeated lateness
  • Several absences from work
  • Friends visiting work too often
  • Not getting along with co-workers
  • Not working fast enough

In contrast, employees who had lost their jobs thought the reason they had been fired was that they lacked proper training and experience in their field.

The results of this research suggest that getting and keeping a job may depend less on your specific job qualifications and more on your interpersonal skills and other intangibles like those mentioned earlier in this guide.  Think about that if you feel intimidated by the idea of looking for a job on a college campus.  Even if you lack experience or specific skills, you do have valuable qualities that will serve you well in any job.  Maximize those qualities.

May I change jobs?

Yes. However, as a courtesy to your employer, you should stay with your job at least one quarter. Also, you should give your employer a minimum of two weeks' notice before you change jobs.  

Students are encouraged not to terminate their employment during the last two weeks of a quarter. (See the Walla Walla University bulletin for the dates of each quarter.)

Students working on campus during the summer are encouraged to stay with their employers for the entire summer. The beginning of the school year would be the best time to make a change if you have another job option.

What if I have more questions?

The student employment manager is here to help you. For help finding a job or for answers to your questions about student employment, stop by the Student Employment Office located in Canaday Technology Center, Room 307.

Or you may contact the Student Employment Office at:

(800) 656-2357 or (509) 527-2357
204 South College Avenue College Place, WA 99324-1198

Page maintained by Amanda Fleck
Last update on December 12, 2013