Financial Information for International Students


International Student Deposit Students who will first enroll during Fall 2014 through Summer 2015, and who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States (except Canadian students) are asked to place a $8,000 (U.S.) deposit with the university before final acceptance can be given and the I-20 form, necessary to secure the U.S. student visa, can be sent. For students first enrolling for Fall 2015 or alter the deposit will be equal to one quarter's tuition (full-time, 13-16 hours).

Insurance Walla Walla University requires all international undergraduate and graduate students, including Canadians, to purchase the  Walla Walla University Mandatory Student Health  Insurance Plan. (See the Mandatory Student Health  section for more information.



International students (Except Canadian Students) will be expected to use the Regular Payment Plan described on this website.


 According to Immigration and Naturalization Services regulations, international students attending WWU while on student visas are only permitted to work on campus and are limited to a maximum of 20 hours of work per week during periods of enrollment. Spouses and children who are not students may not accept employment under any circumstances.

Financial Aid

International students on student visas do not qualify for the majority of loans and grants described in this bulletin. To determine ability to meet educational costs, the university requires applicants to submit a declaration of finances before final acceptance is given.

Foreign Currency Exchange Contracts

Lock in Your Exchange Rates For the Entire School Year:  Many of our students have expressed a need to be able to quantify the exact amount that their tuition will cost them in their local currency.   They want to be able to count on the tuition cost for the entire school year to be unchanged in terms of their own local currency.  This can be done via a financial instrument called a “forward exchange contract”.   The best news is that there is generally no transaction cost to the student to enter into a forward exchange contract.  If you are interested in locking in your foreign currency conversion rates for the entire school year, please contact a foreign currency exchange firm that offers forward exchange contracts to the general public.   For your convenience, we have identified two such firms that can help our foreign students to “lock-in” their tuition costs:
AFEX-Associated Foreign Exchange, Inc.

TRAVELEX Worldwide Money

International Payments through TRAVELEX.
Please note that a forward exchange contract may be disadvantageous to you if during the school year your local currency appreciates in value relative to the U.S. dollar.  
 Please also note that the above firms can also assist international students in wiring their tuition payments to Walla Walla University for a nominal fee.

Page maintained by Amanda Fleck
Last update on September 16, 2014