Appendix C University Financial Policies for Faculty




I. Salaries

II. Medical Allowance

III. Adoption

IV. Tuition Assistance

V Travel Policy Guidelines and Procedures

VI Moving Allowance

VII Retirement

VIII. Free Tuition

IX. Basic Life

X. Services Offered to Employees

XI Miscellaneous Information


I. Salaries

As employees of Walla Walla University, faculty members can expect to receive appropriate remuneration and financial benefits as voted by the Board of Trustees. It is the responsibility of the university administration to keep the faculty informed of these benefits, largely based on provisions set forth in the General Conference Working Policy, copies of which are available from each department chair. Faculty members should be aware of this document, which guides the Board of Trustees in determining the financial policies of the University.

The salaries paid by Walla Walla University are determined by a framework of rates established by the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for senior colleges under the educational system package plan. Since faculty members or administrators render service primarily as a result of their dedication to Christian educational objectives, university salaries are not designed to grant full recognition to scholastic and professional attainments or administrative responsibility. Salaries are set on a standard intended to provide a living wage while allowing a modest increase to those promoted in professional rank. The current salary scale is found in Appendix D.

II. Medical Allowance

Walla Walla University assists eligible full-time employees with medical expenses based on the General Conference Working Policy, described in a booklet provided by the Human Resources Office.

III. Adoption

The University follows the General Conference Working Policy. Employees should consult the Human Resources Office.

IV. Tuition Assistance

The University follows the General Conference Working Policy, which includes certain age and time limits. An updated statement is sent annually to eligible employees with children. Generally, for non-boarding students the grant is 35% of tuition and required fees; for dormitory students, 70%.

When both employee and spouse are denominationally employed by separate organizations, both of which provide scholarship benefits according to the policy, each employing organization is responsible for one-half of the scholarship grant.

Application may be made through the Human Resources Office.

V. Travel Policy Guidelines and Procedures

(See Appendix F for complete policy and per diem rates)

VI. Moving Allowance

When employing a new fill-time faculty member or salaried employee living away from the Walla Walla valley, the University pays the cost of moving household goods and the family to the local area. Reimbursable items include personal travel at the current mileage rate, road tolls, cost of lodging en route, full per diem for the employee, and partial per diem for other members of the family. In addition, each employee and spouse is granted a flat amount to cover packing and other moving costs (See Appendix D for current rates). Additional details may be obtained from the Vice-President for Financial Administration.

When an employee retires after thirty (30) years or more of denominational service, the University moves the retiree following the General Conference Working Policy.

An employee who has served less than thirty (30) years is paid a prorated amount (According to the General Conference Working Policy).

VII. Retirement

Employees accrue retirement credit under the General Conference Retirement Plan. A booklet that answers frequently asked questions is available in th Human Resources Office.

VIII.. Free Tuition

(Effective September 1, 1997)


UNDERGRADUATE LEVEL Full-time employees of the University may enroll without charge for up to six (6) hours of undergraduate credit each quarter.

GRADUATE LEVEL Full-time employees of the University may enroll without charge for up to 12 free hours graduate credit per year, fall through summer quarters, in any convenient combination. Any undergraduate courses taken that apply to the graduate degree will count toward the twelve hour limit. There must be six (6) tuition paying students in a particular class or the class cannot be taught. The IRS considers free graduate level courses part of your wage package and therefore subject to taxes.

COMBINATION OF UNDERGRADUATE AND GRADUATE LEVEL - Full-time employees of the University may enroll without charge for a maximum of twenty-four (24) hours free weighted units per year, fall through summer quarters. Weighted units are calculated by multiplying undergraduate hours by 1 and graduate hours by 2. There must be six (6) tuition paying students in a particular class or the class cannot be taught. The IRS considers free graduate level courses part of the employee's wage package and therefore subject to taxes.

ADDITIONAL BENEFIT AFTER THREE YEARS - After the employee completes three (3) years of full-time employment at the University the spouse may enroll for a full load of undergraduate or graduate credits each quarter on the following basis: the first six (6) hours are without charge; additional hours are charged at 50% of the per quarter hour rate used for 1-12 quarter hours. The spouse applies to the Director of Human Resources for this additional benefit.

LIMITATIONS - The free tuition policy does not apply to fees and rentals, private music lessons, flying, skiing, or other courses where instruction results in a specific cost to the institution by the individual enrolled. ASWWU fees are normally waived.

It is understood that when an employee's position requires maintaining specific working hours, permission must be requested of the supervisor if the employee wishes to take classes during the normal work day. Permission may be granted or withheld at the discretion of the employment manager. Employees will not be paid while they are attending classes.

Full-time employees may not enroll for more than six (6) hours per quarter free or otherwise.

Free tuition hours are not transferable to other people and do not accumulate from quarter to quarter.

All classes are open first to tuition paying students. As space is available, free tuition participants may join. Those taking the class free would not be counted in the minimum number of students required to offer the class.

An individual is eligible for free tuition under only one section of the policy (i.e., an individual may be eligible as an employee, or as a spouse, not both)

If classes are audited or challenged they will be applied to the number of free hours available for that quarter.

IX. Basic Life

All full-time employees and families are covered by the Basic Life Plan according to the NAD policy. Employees may contact the Human Resources Office for further information.

X. Services Offered to Employees

A. Lost and Found Department: All items that are lost or found are to be turned in to Varsity Contractors, with the exception of keys. Keys are to be turned in to Plant Services.

B. Blue Mountain Credit Union: The office of Blue Mountain Credit Union is located at 313 S. College Avenue, College Place. For information about membership or loans call 526-4562 or write: P.O. Box 547, College Place, WA 99324.

C. Departments of the University: A number of University departments offer services for our employees, upon presentation of a valid identification card. Employees should check directly with the following:

XI. Miscellaneous Information

  1. Accidents: If an accident, major or minor, occurs to an employee, he or she or someone in the department should report it immediately to Human Resources (2202). When a Workman's Compensation injury occurs, the employee fills in a portion of the appropriate form and leaves it with the physician, who in turn sends it to Human Resources.
  2. Identification Cards: All employees and their spouses receive identification cards. These can be used for charging purchases on campus, library privileges, P.E. facilities, etc. Identification cards are to be returned to Human Resources at the time of the exit interview.
  3. Key Policy: Keys for office, building, and teaching facilities are obtained from the Plant Services Department by