Academic policies developed and announced in the course of the school year have the same application as those published in this bulletin. Students wishing any exception to published policy may petition to the Academic Standards Committee. Forms for this purpose are available at the Academic Records Office.


The academic year is divided into four academic quarters, Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Summer. All students are required to register on designated days at the beginning of each quarter. Registration is official only after all procedures required by the College have been completed and all fees have been paid. Students who do not receive financial clearance by the end of the second day of classes will have their registration cancelled, and will have to re-register on a space available basis. Faculty advisers are available to assist students with registration and in planning academic programs.
Students are not officially registered for a course until the instructor has been informed by the Academic Records Office. Students are not permitted to attend courses for which they have not registered. Students will not be permitted to register for two classes which meet concurrently.
REGISTRATION WITHOUT OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. Walla Walla College recognizes that in some instances a student may not be able to provide an official transcript immediately prior to enrolling at the college. At the college's discretion, some students may be allowed to enroll prior to admission on the basis of work shown on unofficial or incomplete transcripts. Students who have enrolled directly from high school in this fashion will have a maximum of three consecutive quarters to have their official transcripts received by the Admissions Office. No further enrollment will be allowed until the transcripts are on file. Transfer students allowed to enroll on this basis must have their official complete transcript(s) on file by the end of their first quarter in order to continue enrollment.
FRESHMAN EXPERIENCE. All freshmen are expected to attend the Jump Start Program, (Freshmen Experience class) which takes place the week prior to the beginning of Autumn quarter classes. The Jump Start Program focuses on topics and activities that will help students make a successful transition to college academically, socially and spiritually. Jump Start includes regular orientation information, registration, financial clearance, course placement, and academic advisement. Students who successfully complete the Jump Start Program receive one elective credit. A fee is assessed for this program; see the Academic Fee Section of the Financial Bulletin.
LATE REGISTRATION. Students citing unusual circumstances may register after the designated registration periods; however, they will be charged a late registration fee, and may expect a reduction in course load. Students may register between the 5th and 10th days of the quarter only with permission of the instructors involved.
CHANGES IN REGISTRATION. Changes in registration may be made during the first four days of instruction without charge. Course changes after that require advance permission from the instructor and from the student's academic adviser; there is also a fee for each course added or dropped. Courses may not be added after the tenth day of any quarter.
STUDENT APPEALS. Students have a right to appeal decisions and actions relating to their programs. Academic appeals should be directed to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration, social appeals to the Vice President for Student Administration, and financial appeals to the Director of Student Financial Services. If satisfaction is not obtained, students may consult the Walla Walla College Grievance Policy.
WITHDRAWALS. Students withdrawing from all classes must submit an official College Withdrawal Form to the Academic Records Office. Students withdrawing from individual courses must submit a Change of Registration voucher to the Academic Records Office signed by the instructor involved and the student's adviser. The final date for dropping a course is listed in the academic calendar.
An instructor or department chair/school dean may drop a student from a course during the 100% refund period if the student has not satisfied the prerequisites for the course and the student is informed.
CONCURRENT REGISTRATION. Students registered at Walla Walla College and wishing to enroll simultaneously for courses in other colleges must have prior approval of the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration. Students in good and regular standing may concurrently enroll in a Whitman College class in the exchange program. Tuition is paid at the home campus while the student registers on the other campus. The program is intended for students who wish to enrich their academic program. The application process is initiated through the office of the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration.
ADMISSION TO UPPER DIVISION. A student may register for upper-division courses provided that he/she has completed ENGL 121, 122, and has completed or is currently registered for 223, or 323 (College Writing or its equivalent) and has completed 45 quarter hours of college course work.
SENIOR REGISTRATION FOR GRADUATE COURSES. Seniors who wish to take graduate (500-level) courses must submit a petition, a copy of the senior outline, and a current transcript to the Graduate Council for evaluation. Approval to register is based upon the student's background for the course in question and a minimum of 2.75 cumulative GPA. Academic Standards Committee must approve the petition to have the course apply to the undergraduate program. Courses so taken will be marked on the transcript as applying to the undergraduate degree. Seniors wishing to take credit to be applied toward a future graduate program should consult the Graduate Bulletin.
AUDIT. Students may audit classes provided they (1) register in the usual manner; (2) receive prior approval of the instructor, because certain classes and labs may not be audited; (3) pay any special fees, as appropriate; and (4) pay one-half tuition. Students auditing courses are not required to do class assignments or take tests. They receive no grades and no academic credit. Students may not take challenge or waiver examinations for courses they have audited. Students with a Walla Walla College cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.00 and a course load of at least 13-16 hours (excluding audit courses) pay a special fee if their total credits exceed 16 hours. See the Academic Fee section of the student Finance Bulletin.


The academic study load at Walla Walla College is computed in quarter hours, one quarter hour normally representing one class meeting per week or three hours of laboratory work per week. Thus, a three-quarter-hour class would meet three times each week. For each quarter hour of credit earned, a student is expected to spend at least two clock hours a week in outside preparation or three hours a week in supervised study or laboratory work.
The normal course load is 16-17 hours per quarter. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors may request to register for 18 quarter hours if their grade-point average for the previous quarter was 3.00 (B) or better. Undergraduate students on academic probation will carry a reduced course load.
The following minimum study loads will satisfy the parties indicated; however, in order to graduate in four years the student should take 16 hours per quarter.

Financial Aid12 quarter hours
Immigration Authorities12 quarter hours
Social Security12 quarter hours
Veterans12 quarter hours



FRESHMEN. Students who have met the college entrance requirements and have completed less than 45 quarter hours are classified as freshmen.
SOPHOMORES. Students who have completed a minimum of 45 quarter hours with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 are classified as sophomores.
JUNIORS. Students who have completed a minimum of 90 quarter hours with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 are classified as juniors.
SENIORS. Students who have completed a minimum of 136 quarter hours with a grade-point average of at least 2.00 are classified as seniors. Seniors who can complete all degree requirements during the current school year are eligible for class membership.
POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS. Students who have completed a baccalaureate degree and are registered for work which does not ordinarily apply toward an advanced degree are classified as postgraduates.
GRADUATE STUDENTS. Students who have been accepted into one of the graduate programs are classified as graduates.
NONMATRICULATED STUDENTS. Individuals ineligible for regular admission or do not intend to matriculate in an academic program at Walla Walla College are considered nonmatriculated. (See Admission to the College: Nonmatriculated Admission)
SPECIAL STUDENTS. Students who are currently enrolled as students in secondary school and who have permission from their principal to take certain college-level courses are classified as special students.


An integral part of the mission of Walla Walla College is to prepare its students to be responsible individuals with Christian values. The College expects all members of its community to have integrity, including a steadfast adherence to honesty. Faculty have a responsibility to foster integrity by example and instruction. Students have a responsibility to learn, respect, and practice integrity.
All acts of dishonesty are unacceptable, including cheating, plagiarism, forgery, misrepresentation, falsification, prohibited collaboration, and prohibited use of files. Departments or schools may have specific criteria for behavior and skills suitable to their disciplines which will be communicated to students, typically in course syllabi.
Violation of academic integrity will result in disciplinary action. Teachers and administrators will follow approved guidelines which are available upon request in the office of the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration.


The grade-point average is computed by totaling the grade points of all courses and dividing by the total quarter hours for which grades are received. Only the best grade of a repeated course will be calculated in the grade-point average. The AU, I, IP, NC, S, W and X are disregarded in computing the grade-point average. A report of grades earned is sent to students (and parents of dependent students) at the end of each quarter.
The following grades and point values are used:

A- Excellent4.0 grade points per quarter hour
B- Above Average3.0
C- Average2.0
D- Below Average1.0
F- Failure0.0

S/NC-Satisfactory/No Credit0.0
Indicates that credit earned was satisfactory (C or better) or that the credit was not earned because performance did not meet the minimum standards for a satisfactory grade. Some professional schools calculate the NC mark as an F grade when computing the grade-point average.

In place of grades, the following symbols are used:

In the case of incomplete work due to justifiable cause, the instructor may assign a grade of Incomplete, allowing the student an extension of time to complete the course requirements. The Incomplete is not a permanent grade, although the permanent record will show it was assigned temporarily. The instructor for the course also submits a default grade for the course that the student will be assigned if no further work is done in the allotted time, taking into account all the course requirements.

In order for a student to receive an Incomplete, the instructor and the student must complete a contract specifying the reasons for the student not completing the course requirements, the conditions for removal of the Incomplete, and the default grade. Teacher and student retain copies of the contract and a third copy is sent to the Office of Academic Records.
The student is responsible to meet the conditions of the contract including submission of all required work to the teacher on or before the published deadline, three weeks before the close of the following term (excluding summer session for undergraduates). Extraordinary appeals should be directed to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration.
IP-In Progress
IP grading approved for undergraduate approved courses, particularly courses that extend beyond regular grading periods. Courses to receive IP grading will be approved by Curriculum Committee.

W-Official Withdrawal
Courses dropped during the first two weeks of the term will not appear on the student's record. Courses dropped thereafter will appear on the permanent record with a W.

X-Unofficial Withdrawal
Indicates that the student discontinued class attendance prior to the fifth week, mid-term, but failed to withdraw officially.


GRADE ERRORS AND CORRECTIONS. Grades will be processed and posted to the Web for viewing at the close of each quarter. Upon viewing grades via the secured web site, the student should carefully check the accuracy of the courses recorded, quarter hours, and grades. Grades may be changed only if an error has been made in calculating or recording the grade. Students will have until the last day to drop classes during the next regular quarter to report any discrepancies to the Academic Records Office.


ADMISSION WITH PROBATION. Under special circumstances, students whose cumulative grade point average is less than 2.0 are admitted on academic probation. These students receive a letter specifying the terms of probationary status, which often include biweekly conferences with an adviser or special adviser. Probation students who do not meet the specified terms during their first quarter will be subject to dismissal.
ACADEMIC WARNING. A student whose cumulative grade point average is 2.00 or higher, but whose term average is below 2.00 receives a warning letter from the Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration. A copy of the letter is sent to the student's academic advisers to ensure appropriate advisement for the ensuing term.
ACADEMIC PROBATION AND DISMISSAL. When a student's cumulative grade point average falls below 2.00, that student is automatically placed on academic probation. Within 5 working days after quarter grades are issued, probationary status is communicated to the student in writing by the Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration. A copy of the letter is also sent to the student's academic adviser.
Academic probation entails the following conditions, each intended to assist a student in improving scholastic performance:
enrollment is limited to 12 quarter credits which includes any incomplete that is outstanding. Students are advised to repeat courses with a grade less than C;
independent study or correspondence credits are not permitted;
a biweekly conference with the academic adviser and a midterm progress report are required;
extracurricular activities which necessitate class absences are not permitted;
the student is not permitted to hold office in any student organization or serve as a student missionary or taskforce worker; and
Students are allowed to preregister for up to 12 hours.

If a student's cumulative grade point average is below 1.75, the following additional conditions must be met.
the student must sign an academic contract and meet all of its requirements;
the student must participate in a counseling and/or testing program to confirm an appropriate major; and
the student will meet with his/her adviser or special probation adviser on a biweekly basis.

Probationary status typically extends for one quarter, during which the student must demonstrate academic ability and seriousness of purpose. This requirement is met by a grade point average for the quarter of at least 2.3 or C+ average with no F grades.
A student meeting these criteria may continue on academic probation for the ensuing quarter, bound by the conditions outlined above, until such time as the overall grade point average reaches at least 2.00. A student failing to meet these criteria is subject to academic dismissal.
Academic dismissal is by action of the Academic Standards Committee upon review of the student's overall academic progress. The Associate Vice-President for Academic Administration notifies the student, in writing, of the committee's decision and the rights and process of appeal.
Following at least six months' absence from the college, a student dismissed for academic reasons may formally apply for readmission. The Admissions Committee will review the application and seek recommendations from the Academic Standards Committee. Convincing evidence will be required which demonstrates the student's commitment and potential for academic success.
CLASS ATTENDANCE. Students are responsible for punctual and regular attendance at all classes for which they are registered. Missing instruction for any reason may jeopardize the course grade.
FINAL EXAMINATIONS. All students are expected to take final examinations as scheduled. Requests for exceptions are to be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Academic Administration three weeks prior to the close of the quarter. A fee is assessed for each out-of-schedule examination; see the Academic Fee section of the Finance Bulletin.
TRANSCRIPTS. Official Transcripts are issued from the Academic Records Office. Transcript requests must be in writing using a transcript request form or personal letter. Forms are available in the Academic Records Office or via the Walla Walla College home page. Letters must include the student's ID number or Social Security number, birth date, dates of attendance, signature and return address. Requests for faxed transcripts must include the following statement, I realize my privacy may not be maintained. Faxed transcripts are not official transcripts. Transfer credit is not recorded after a student has ceased attendance at the College.
Note: A student receiving financial aid must also meet satisfactory progress standards adopted by Student Financial Services. See the Financial Policies section of the Finance Bulletin for details.


DEAN'S LIST. The Vice President for Academic Administration maintains a list of undergraduate students who have earned a minimum of 15 hours per quarter (excluding S credits, IP, and incompletes) and have achieved a grade-point average of 3.50 or better. Students who have earned a G.P.A. above 3.75 appear on the Dean's List of Distinguished Students.
GRADUATION WITH HONORS. Candidates for the baccalaureate degree with the appropriate G.P.A. both overall and for credits earned at Walla Walla College will be awarded the degree with the following honors distinction:
3.50 - 3.74 cum laude (with distinction)
3.75 - 3.89 magna cum laude (with great distinction)
3.90 - 4.00 summa cum laude (with highest distinction)



Walla Walla College recognizes that students who have independently achieved college-level proficiency on the basis of work experience and study may receive credit for what they already know by challenging, validating, or waiving comparable classes offered by the College. (Certain college classes may not be challenged.) APPLICATION FORMS. A current student wishing to obtain credit by examination must apply. Permission from the chair of the department in which the course is offered and permission of the course instructor are required. Application forms for challenge, validation, and/or waiver examinations may be obtained from the Academic Records Office. A student must have approval for an exam prior to taking an exam. Fees for these examinations are listed under the heading Special Fees in the Academic Fee section of the Finance Bulletin.
RESTRICTIONS. The following restrictions apply to all credit earned by examination.
A student must have an approved examination application on file in the Academic Records Office before credit by examination can be recorded on the permanent record.
A student must be currently enrolled before credit by examination can be recorded on the permanent record.
Credit by examination may be earned only if a student has not already earned credit in a similar course, or taken advanced courses.
A maximum of 24 quarter hours by examination may be counted toward a baccalaureate degree and a maximum of 12 quarter hours may be counted toward an associate degree excluding validation examinations.
Grades are issued as on normal test scores, and all grades are recorded on the permanent record of the student.
Examinations may not be repeated.
Repeat course work and F grades are not open to credit by examination.
Students may not take challenge or waiver examinations on courses they have audited.
Examinations must be taken prior to the last 3 weeks of any quarter.

CHALLENGE EXAMINATIONS. A challenge examination is a college-prepared or a standardized examination which, if successfully completed, will yield regular college credit. The student must take the examination before enrolling for further study in the field of the examination. The challenge examination may not be repeated and must be taken prior to the final quarter of residence.
ADVANCED PLACEMENT EXAMINATION (CEEB). Regular college credit may be established by successful completion of an Advanced Placement examination. These tests are graded on a scale of 1 to 5.
Biology 101, 102, 103 General Biology
Students obtaining a 3 or higher on the Advancement Placement Biology examination will be awarded 12 quarter hours for BIOL 101, 102, 103. AP credit for Biology may not be accepted by some professional programs.
Chemistry 141, 142, 143 General Chemistry
Students receiving a score of 3 or greater on the AP Chemistry examination will be granted credit for 12 quarter hours of General Chemistry. Credit does not cover Introductory Chemistry and may not be accepted by some preprofessional programs. Credit will meet the General Studies laboratory science requirement.
Computer Science 141 Introduction to Programming and 142 Data Structures
Students obtaining a 3 or higher on part A of the Advanced Placement Examination will be awarded 4 quarter hours for CPTR 141. Students obtaining a 3 or higher on parts A and B will be awarded 8 quarter hours for CPTR 141 and 142.
English 121, 122 College Writing
Students obtaining a 3 on the Advanced Placement Language and Composition examination will be awarded 3 quarter hours as a substitute for ENGL 121. Those obtaining a 4 or 5 will be awarded 6 quarter hours as a substitute for ENGL 121 and 122. All students must take ENGL 223 or 323. Advanced placement credit may not be applied to HONR 141 or HONR 142.
English 121, 204 Introduction to Literature and College Writing
Students obtaining a 3 on the Advanced Placement Literature and Composition examination will be awarded 4 quarter hours as a substitute for ENGL 204. Those obtaining a 4 or 5 will be awarded 7 quarter hours as a substitute for ENGL 204 and ENGL 121. All students must take ENGL 122 and ENGL 223 or 323. Advanced placement credit may not be applied to HONR 141 or HONR 142.
History 221, 222 History of the United States
Students obtaining a 4 or 5 will receive 8 quarter hours, which will fulfill two quarters of the History requirement.
Mathematics 181 Analytic Geometry and Calculus I
Students obtaining a score 3 or 4 on the AB test will receive 4 quarter hours for MATH 181.
Mathematics 181, 281 Analytic Geometry and Calculus I, II
Students obtaining a score of 5 on the AB test or a score of 3 or 4 on the BC test will receive 8 quarter hours for MATH 181 and 281.
Mathematics 181, 281, 282 Analytic Geometry and Calculus I, II, III
Students obtaining a score of 5 on the BC test will receive 12 quarter hours for MATH 181, 281, and 282
COLLEGE-LEVEL EXAMINATION PROGRAM (CLEP). There are two types of CLEP examinations, General and Subject. Walla Walla College grants credit for Subject Examinations only. The test center located at the Counseling Resource Center in Meske Hall administers these computer-based tests by appointment. Candidates should consult with the test center for dates and other specific information. There is a $52 fee for each CLEP exam. These tests may not be repeated. Examination must be taken prior to the student's completion of a total of 45 quarter hours of college credit.
A number of subject-matter examinations are offered by CLEP. Students obtaining the percentiles established by the following departments will receive credit toward that basic requirement. Students wishing credit in courses other than those listed below should consult the appropriate departmental chair.
Biology 101, 102, 103 General Biology
Students obtaining the 70th percentile in the Biology examination will receive 12 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic science requirement.
English 121 College Writing
Students who earn a 60th percentile on the English examination will receive credit for ENGL 121. All students must take ENGL 122, or HONR 142, and 223 or 323.
History 221, 222 History of the United States
Students achieving the 60th percentile in either or both of the American History subject-matter examinations will receive 4 or 8 quarter hours toward fulfillment of the basic history requirement. The CLEP subject-matter test covering early colonization to 1877 may substitute for History 221; that covering 1865 to the present may substitute for History 222.
Mathematics 117 Precalculus
Students obtaining the 50th percentile in the College Algebra-Trigonometry test will receive 5 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic math requirement.
Mathematics 121 Fundamentals of Mathematics
Students obtaining the 50th percentile in the College Algebra test will receive 4 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic math requirement.
Mathematics 181, Analytic Geometry and Calculus I
Students obtaining at least the 50th percentile in the Calculus with Elementary Functions test will receive 4 quarter hours for MATH 181.
Sociology 204 General Sociology
Students obtaining the 60th percentile in the General Sociology examination will receive 4 quarter hours, which will fulfill the basic social studies requirement.
VALIDATION EXAMINATIONS. Students who have transcripts from nonaccredited colleges and/or transcripts showing nontransferable college courses may request to take validation examinations in courses which are comparable to those offered by Walla Walla College. Upon successful completion of the examination(s), the student will be given credit as specified.
COURSE WAIVER EXAMINATIONS. A student may meet an academic requirement, within specified limits, by passing a waiver examination at least equal in scope and difficulty to a final examination in a course. Successful completion of the examination waives the curricular requirement, but does not result in credit earned. Thus, it does not reduce the total number of quarter hours required for a degree, but will increase the available number of elective hours. The waiver examination is administered by the department in which the course is offered and may not be repeated. Waiver examinations must be taken prior to the final quarter of residence.
TRANSFER CREDIT BY EXAMINATION. Credit earned by examination at other colleges or universities may be transferred provided such credit meets the guidelines used by Walla Walla College for credit by examination.


Students may repeat a course in which credit has been granted and grades have been received; however, academic credit may be earned only once. Regardless of the number of times a course is repeated, only the best grade will be computed in the grade-point average, though all grades will remain on the permanent record. This repeat work must be taken in a regularly offered class. Challenge examinations and independent or directed study arrangements are not allowed for repeat course work. Repeat course work for which an F has been received must be completed in residence unless permission to do otherwise is granted by the Academic Standards Committee.


Distance Learning courses taken through accredited institutions of higher education are acceptable as transfer credit by the College. Students must obtain prior approval from their major department chair and Academic Standards Committee in order to be dually enrolled in a distance learning program while in college. Seniors must have all distance learning completed prior to the beginning of their last quarter in residence.


Extension courses are offered by Walla Walla College on a limited basis. These off-campus courses provide opportunity for academic enrichment, acceleration, and continuing education.
The College accepts extension course credit from other institutions provided the institution offering the courses accepts similar credits toward a degree on its own campus.


Walla Walla College, together with nine other Seventh-day Adventist colleges in North America, founded an organization in 1967 for the purpose of providing opportunities for qualified students to study abroad while completing the requirements of their programs. The ACA program allows students to immerse themselves in the culture and life of the host country and to become conversant in the language. Presently, students may take a full year at:
Saleve Adventist University, Collonges-sous-Saleve(French)
Seminar Schloss Bogenhofen, Braunau, Austria(German)
Istituto Avventista Villa Aurora, Florence, Italy(Italian)
Colegio Adventista de Sagunto, Sagunto, Spain(Spanish)
Universidad Adventista del Plata, Entre Rios, Argentina(Spanish)
University of Eastern Africa Baraton, Kenya(Swahili)

Prerequisites for admission to a year of study abroad through ACA are:
Admission as a regular student of Walla Walla College.
Competence in the language (minimum: one year of college language or two years of secondary study).
A grade-point average of 3.00 in the language and an overall grade-point average of 2.50.
A good citizenship record.
Application to the Academic Records Office on the special ACA application form.
Ability to meet the financial requirements.

Students planning to study under this program must submit a completed ACA application with a $100 refundable deposit by July 15, as there are usually more applications than spaces available. Information and applications may be obtained from the Academic Records Office.
All applications and payments for tuition, room, and board are to be made through Walla Walla College. Any deviation from this schedule by students of Walla Walla College must be arranged in advance with the Office of Student Financial Services.
Students cannot plan on financial credit for work while residing in foreign countries. The student financial aid officer has information on grants and loans available to students for overseas study.
Academic credit may be granted for these studies so that a student may be able to complete a full college year abroad. Prospective students must have successfully completed one year of college French, German or Spanish or the equivalent as applicable, except for Italian. It is recommended that students desiring to participate do so during their sophomore year. Applicants must consult with their major professors, the Modern Language Department and the ACA Coordinator prior to enrollment. The Registrar, the Major Department Chair, and the Academic Standards Committee will determine how the credits are applied.