Graduate programs at Walla Walla College support the mission of the college and assist students as they acquire advanced knowledge and expertise in their fields of study within the context of Christian faith. To this end our faculty and students are committed to: 1) quality in scholarship and research; 2) the development of social, moral, and spiritual values; and 3) the integration of learning, faith, and service.


Walla Walla College is a Christian institution of higher learning operated by the Seventh‑day Adventist Church since December 7, 1892. It is located in the city of College Place, in the historic, fertile Walla Walla Valley of southeastern Washing­ton. The Old Oregon Trail, passing west of the campus, leads directly to the nearby Whitman Mission National Historic Site. The scenic Blue Mountains to the east and the Snake and Columbia Rivers to the north and west offer opportunities for recreation and relaxation.

Walla Walla College is committed to equal opportunity for all students. It does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, color, handicap, national and/or ethnic origin in administration of its admissions, educational, financial, employment, and student life programs and policies, or any other college ­administered program.

The College provides for the attendance and academic success of handicapped students. The campus and a number of buildings have been modified to provide easy wheelchair access.

Walla Walla College seeks to foster an intelligent understanding of Christian ideals, loyalty to God, and service to humanity; and to offer an educational experience encouraging the formation of character marked by a full, harmonious development of the intellectual, physical, and spiritual powers.

The seventh‑day Sabbath is observed at Walla Walla College from sunset Friday to sunset Saturday. Instructional activities are not conducted during these hours.


Graduate programs are directed and supervised by the Graduate Council, which is the legislative body responsible for all graduate academic policies and curricula. Actions voted by the College Board, Faculty-in-session, or the Graduate Council at any time shall have equal force to, or if necessary shall supersede, statements published in this bulletin.


The College offers courses of study leading to the following graduate degrees:

Master of Arts

Master of Education

Master of Arts in Teaching

Master of Science

Master of Social Work


Graduate Students are defined as those who have been accepted into one of the graduate programs.

Postgraduate Students are those who have completed a baccalaureate degree and are registered for work which does not ordinarily apply toward an advanced degree.


The following system of grades and grade‑point values per quarter hour is used for evaluating graduate credit:

A       4.0              B       3.0              C       2.0              D       1.0

A -     3.7              B -     2.7              C -     1.7              D -     0.7

B+     3.3              C+     2.3              D+     1.3              F        0

Other symbols used to describe the academic status of graduate credit are:

AU Audit

I          Incomplete

I*        Standing Incomplete

IP       In Progress

W       Withdrawal

S        Satisfactory (C or better)

NC No Credit

X         Unofficial withdrawal

Courses associated with these symbols are not used when computing the grade-point average.

Audit. An AU is assigned for class attendance and participation generally excluding tests and outside-of-class assignments. Arrangements to audit a class are made with the Office of Graduate Studies. The cost for audited credit is one-half the regular tuition rate.

Incomplete.   In the case of incomplete work due to justifiable cause, the instructor may assign a grade of Incomplete, allowing the student an extension of time to complete the course requirements.   The incomplete is not a permanent grade.  The instructor for the course also submits a default grade for the course that the student will be assigned if no further work is done in the allotted time, taking into account all the course requirements.

Submission of all required work is due to the teacher three weeks before the close of the following term.  Extraordinary appeals for extension of deadline should be directed to the Associate Vice President for Graduate Studies.

In Progress. An IP can be given by the instructor for independent work such as field work or practica, research, and thesis which extend past the regular end of term. The IP designation is changed by the instructor to a letter grade upon completion of all course requirements.

Withdrawal. A W is recorded when a student officially drops a course at least three weeks prior to the end of the quarter.

Satisfactory/No Credit. An S indicates that credit earned was satisfactory (A. B. or C) and an NC indicates that the credit was not earned because performance did not meet the minimum standards for a satisfactory grade. A grade of S will not be acceptable for graduate credit except for courses that require S/NC grading.

Unofficial Withdrawal. A grade of X indicates that a student discontinued class attendance prior to midterm but did not officially withdraw.

Graduate GPA. Grades of all courses on the approved graduate program and in the program area, excluding deficiencies, will be computed in the grade‑point average.

Uniform Course Numbers.   By general agreement certain course numbers are reserved for classes that are of such a general nature as to be found in the three graduate departments.  The prefix assigned to the numbers designates the discipline.  The following are courses that carry uniform numbers throughout the bulletin:

500 Topics                                                                                              1-5

Courses in specialized or experimental areas conducted through regular class activities and approved by Graduate Council as one-time offerings.  See the Class schedule for all approved Topics courses.

559 Supplemental Studies                                                                1-2;2

Supplementation of previous course work when portions of a course required in the student s program have been omitted.  Ordinarily supplementation will occur only with transfer students or within a program that has undergone a major curriculum change. A study proposal is to be outlined in consultation with the instructor of the course being supplemented and approved by the department and the Graduate Academic Standards committee. May not be substituted for existing courses

569 Advanced Study                                                                          1-3;3

Advanced directed study by which students may enhance the program area in breadth or depth not covered within the department curriculum.  The study proposal must be approved by the department and the Graduate Standards Committee and is to indicate the methods of evaluation.  May not be substituted for existing courses.

579 Directed Research/Project                                                         1-2;2

Individualized  research, laboratory or learning experience of particular interest to the student; may include contributions from conference attendance or travel related to an academic topic.  A project proposal and permission of instructor are required prior to beginning the project.

Changes in Registration. Students withdrawing from a graduate program or individual courses during a term must file an official change of registration form with the Office of Graduate Studies. These forms must be signed by the adviser and the instructor(s) concerned.

Academic Integrity Statement. An integral part of the mission of Walla Walla College is to prepare its students to be responsible individuals who are guided by Christian values. The College, therefore, expects all members of its community to  practice integrity, including a steadfast adherence to honesty. Faculty have a responsibility to foster integrity by example and instruction. Students have a responsibility to learn, respect, and practice integrity.

All acts of academic dishonesty, including cheating, plagiarism, forgery, misrepresen­tation, falsification, prohibited collaboration, and unauthorized use of files, are unacceptable. Departments may have more specific criteria for behavior and skills suitable to their disciplines which will be communicated to students, typically in course syllabi.

A violation of academic integrity will result in disciplinary action, which may include expulsion from the program (see department for details).

Deficiencies. Deficiencies should be made up as early in the program as possible, but may not be made up by audit.

Student Appeals. Student appeals of decisions and actions related to their graduate programs should be initiated in consultation with the major department and then relayed, as appropriate, to Graduate Council. If satisfaction is not obtained, consult the Walla Walla College Grievance Policy.

Unregistered Student Attendance of Classes. Only students who are officially registered will be allowed to attend graduate classes after the third week of school.  Exceptions for those having difficulty making financial arrangements may be made by petition to the Graduate Standards Committee.

Graduate Credit for Seniors. Seniors who are within 28 hours of completing their baccalaureate degree may be eligible to take up to 12 approved credits to be applied toward a Walla Walla College graduate program.  To apply, students must submit a petition class=msoIns> available in the Office of Graduate Studies, a copy of a degree audit or a copy of their approved senior outline. Approval to register is granted only after determination of the student s eligibility for admission to a graduate program and satisfactory completion of necessary course prerequisites.

Second Master s Degree . If degree requirements overlap with graduate work already taken, a student seeking a second masters degree may seek a reduction in the total number of required credits. See individual programs for specific requirements.


Campus Computer Center. A campus-wide personal computer network supports a wide variety of software applications for college faculty, staff, and students. The use of three clusters of high-performance computers is available to Walla Walla College students free of charge.

Disability Support Services. Walla Walla College is committed to responding to the needs of students with disabilities as outlined in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The college provides program access to students with documented disabilities through a variety of services and equipment.  The Disability Support Services office coordinates academic accommodations which include, but are not limited to: testing accommodations, note takers, alternate text formats, and classroom relocation.  Services must be arranged in advance and require documentation of the disability. For more information about any of these services, contact Disability Support Services, (509-527-2366). Policies are also available on the Internet at www.wwc. edu\services\tlc\dss.

Library Resources and Services . The combined WWC libraries contain over 200,000 book volumes  and hold over 980 current periodical titles.

The Librarys Home Page at library.wwc.edu is the starting point for most library research at WWC and its branch campuses.  The Librarys fully automated INNOPAC Catalog can be searched from that page as can over 80 databases to which the Library subscribes.  Branching from the Librarys Home page are web pages designed specifically for students at the Montana Graduate Social Work sites.

Using the INNOPAC Catalog, students can search collections at the Peterson Memorial Library, Curriculum Library,  Rosario Marine Biological Station, Montana Graduate Social Work sites and the branch Nursing Library in Portland, OR.  The INNOPAC catalog is accessible to anyone with an Internet connection. Selected databases are also  available from the librarys home page. They include such key resources as BIOSIS, Ingenta Uncover, EBSCOs Academic Search Full-Text Premier, ERIC, ArticleFirst, Medline, PsycArticles, NewsBank, ProQuest Direct, PsycInfo, Social Work Abstracts, and WorldCat.   These databases can be accessed from any on-campus computer connected to the Colleges local area network.  Off-campus access to these databases is also available to current students, faculty and staff of Walla Walla College.

Microform readers make accessible microforms of periodicals and other scholarly material.  In addition, the librarys Media Center provides a small collection of videos and equipment for viewing various media.

Resources in other libraries are available to students and faculty members through the librarys membership in several resource sharing cooperatives, including NAPCU (Northwest Association of Private Colleges and Universities) and ALICE (Adventist Library Information Cooperative).  Materials not held at one of the Colleges libraries can be procured through the Interlibrary Loan/Document Delivery service operated by the Reference Department.  WWC students with validated identification cards also have access to the library facilities of Whitman College, a private liberal-arts college located in downtown Walla Walla.

Marine Station. Walla Walla College maintains a biological research station at Rosario Beach, adjoining Deception Pass State Park, Anacortes, Washington. This facility occupies 40 acres of beach and timberland, and includes three laboratory buildings, a cafeteria, assembly hall, shop, and 29 cabins for student and staff housing.

Rigby Hall. The facilities of the Department of Biological Sciences in Rigby Hall include staff and graduate student offices, classrooms and teaching laboratories. Also available are controlled-environment chambers, radioisotope laboratory, animal house and greenhouse,  photographic darkroom, wood shop, student lounge, and computer lab.

Smith Hall. Facilities of the School of Education and Psychology include offices for staff and graduate assistants, classrooms with Internet and campus network access, laboratories for testing, a curriculum library, and a student lounge. A child development center provides students with an opportunity to work with young children in a preschool setting.  Smith Hall also houses a recently remodeled counseling center consisting of three private counseling rooms and a group room.  These rooms are fully equipped with one-way mirrors and video and audio recording capability.

Social Work/Sociology Buildings. These facilities house faculty and administra­tive offices, the Social Service Reading Collection, and a classroom. Comfortable classrooms and teacher offices are also  maintained at two sites in Montana; at Missoula and Billings.


Financial Aid. Walla Walla College assumes that each graduate student has the primary obligation for his/her educational costs. For students unable to meet this obligation while attending Walla Walla College, financial aid is available in the form of student employment, long-term loans, grants, and scholarships. Interest rates for long-term loans are low and repayment does not begin until after a student leaves a full-time graduate program. Grants and scholarships are gifts and do not need to be repaid.

In order to receive maximum financial assistance, students should plan their finances for the entire academic school year several months prior to the first quarter of enrollment. Financial counselors are available to provide help in financial planning, applying for financial aid, and in developing plans for payment. The Federal Government now requires that the college have a copy of the baccalau­reate transcript prior to disbursements of financial aid to graduate students.

Adding or dropping a class on or before the tenth day of the quarter may affect a students Financial Aid package.

Federal Stafford Loan Program. Graduate students may borrow up to $18,500 per year at an annual interest rate not to exceed 8.25%. Principal repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time.  Loan fees of about 3-4% are deducted from the loan amount before the funds are issued to WWC.

The US Government may subsidize some of the interest while the student is in school; the student is responsible for the balance and may either make payments or have the interest added to the principal of the loan.

Students receiving a Federal Stafford Loan will need to complete a separate application form, the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).  Students are encouraged to complete and submit the FAFSA via the internet at: www.fafsa.ed.gov.

Graduate Tuition. Graduate tuition is $462* per quarter hour. Tuition includes all laboratory fees except those at the WWC Marine Station at Rosario Beach.

* For the 2005-2006 school year, please refer to the on-line Graduate Bulletin or Financial Bulletin at:  www. wwc.edu/academics/bulletins.

Payment Plans. The College is not able to finance student accounts. However, several payment plans are available and may be arranged through the Student Financial Services.

Books and School Supplies. Textbooks, school supplies, and other class materials are available at the College Store. Students should plan on approximately $550 for such purchases each quarter.

Student Insurance. All enrolled, tuition-paying graduate students on the College Place campus, Missoula or Billings sites or Rosario campus are covered by WWCs Student Accident Insurance Policy, with a maximum coverage of $2,500 per incident.  In addition, WWC graduate students may purchase and be covered under the Mandatory Student Sickness and Additional Accident  Insurance.  For questions regarding coverage, claims or a brochure outlining the benefits, please contact Campus Health Services at 509/527-2425. WWC requires all international students to have the above medical insurance coverage.

Personal Property Insurance. WWC is not responsible for loss of personal property.  Students are encouraged to carry their own insurance for coverage of personal belongings.

Special Fees

Application (nonrefundable)                                                                 $50.00

Audit Tuition                                                                one-half regular tuition

Approved Change in Registration

  (Drop/Add) after the Deadline                                                              25.00

Change in Registration (Drop/Add)

  after the 100% refund period (per change)                                         15.00

Transcript Request                                                                                  5.00

Diploma Replacement: Graduate                                                           45.00

Field Trips                                                                                      actual cost

Graduation Fee (includes diploma and pictures)                                   25.00

ID Card Replacement                                                                             15.00

Late Registration                                                                                   75.00

M.A. and M.S. Thesis Binding (2 copies)                                               35.00

Out-of-Schedule Examination (per exam)                                              50.00

Returned Check*                                                                                   25.00

Validation Examination

  Validation Fee                                                                      3.00/credit hour

Examination Fee                                                                                    20.00

*plus any international bank fees


Walla Walla College owns several studio, one-bedroom, and two-bedroom apartments in College Place.  In addition, houses with up to four bedrooms are available for families. Rental rates are comparable with rates in the community.

 This off-campus housing in College Place is available on a first-come-first-served basis. Financial arrangements must be made with the Office of Student Financial Services before a student/family may move into college housing. Students may contact College Rental Properties at 509/527-2109 for more information about housing availability.

Residence Halls. The room rental charge for each student per quarter based on dual occupancy is:

Conard Hall (women)               $  750

Foreman Hall (women)                 785

Sittner Hall (men)                         750

Meske Hall (men)                         750

When rooms are available, single occupancy is permitted at an extra cost of $200 per quarter.

Room Deposit and Reservations . A $150 deposit is required to reserve a residence hall room. Upon a student s departure, a refund of up to $120 may be applied to  the student s account. Charges for delayed departure, an uncleaned or damaged room or failure to return keys are also applied to the student s account.  Should the student not enroll, the entire deposit is refunded.


If a student officially withdraws during the quarter, a refund, where applicable, will be made within 30 days. A student who leaves school without completing withdrawal procedures will be charged until proper arrangements have been made. The beginning of the quarter is considered to be the first day of class instruction.  Students withdrawing from classes during the quarter will qualify for the following rates of refund:

If withdrawal is:                                     Tuition refund will be:

  by the second Tuesday of classes*             100%

  by the third Tuesday of classes                     75%

  by the fifth Tuesday of classes                      50%

A tuition refund may affect awarded financial aid.

* Students dropping all classes during this period will be charged a processing fee of $50 or 5% of tuition, whichever is less.

For withdrawal and refund schedule for summer classes please contact the Records Office or see the on-line Summer Bulletin at: www.wwc.edu/academics/bulletins. Please refer to the current on-line WWC Financial Bulletin at the same website for the Financial Aid Refund Policy.


Itemized statements are issued each month giving an account of the previous month s expenses.  Fixed expenses --tuition, required fees, room rent -- for the quarter are charged at the beginning of each quarter. Variable expenses -- including cafeteria, bookstore, and  other charges -- are billed as they are incurred.  All enrolled students receive copies of their statements each month. Students may request that a copy be mailed to a third party, such as a parent.

Walla Walla College accepts Discover, MasterCard, and Visa credit cards for payment of accounts.  These may be processed in person, by telephone,  by mail, or on-line. Checks or money orders should be made payable to Walla Walla College and should be sent to the Accounting Office on campus.

Internet payments may be made at: www.wwc.edu/payment. Payments received via Internet are processed prior to 9 am each business day. Payments received after 9 am are processed the next business day.


A FINANCE CHARGE will be imposed on each item of a student s account which has not been paid by the end of the second month following the billing month. The FINANCE CHARGE is computed at a rate of one percent per month or  an ANNUAL PERCENTAGE RATE of 12%.

The FINANCE CHARGE is computed by taking the second to the last month s statement balance and subtracting any payments, credits, financial aid or refund received during the succeeding two months.  The remaining balance owing, if any, is multiplied by one percent to obtain the periodic finance charge.


By action of the Board of Trustees of the College, a diploma or transcript (official or unofficial) may not be released until the following criteria are met:

The student's account is paid in full.

The student has paid any short-term loan cosigned by WWC.

The student's Nursing, Perkins , or institutional loans are current.

The student s loan exit interview are complete. (Diploma only).

To expedite the release of transcripts, diplomas, and other legal documents, a money order, credit card payment, or certified check should be sent to cover the balance of the student s account. Requests for transcripts must be made in writing, signed by the student, and either faxed or mailed to the Office of Academic Records.  There is a $5  charge per transcript request.


International students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the United States (except Canadian students) are asked to place a $4,000 (U.S.) deposit with the College before final acceptance can be given and the I-20 form, necessary to secure the U.S. Student visa, can be sent. International students on student visas do not qualify for the majority of  loans and grants and may only accept employment on campus. Spouses and children who are not students may not accept employment under any circumstances. To determine the ability of applicants to meet educational costs, the College requires them to submit a declaration of finances before final acceptance is given. This is done through the international student adviser.  International students will be expected to use the Regular Payment Plan described in the WWC Finance Bulletin.


Because of fluctuations in the economy, the College  Board of Trustees reserves the right to adjust costs and policies throughout the school year or to supersede statements published in this bulletin.


A limited number of graduate assistantships are available. They provide financial support for students during professional experiences in chosen fields of specialization or in activities that may be valuable in preparing them more fully for their future occupational roles. Duties of a graduate assistant may include participa­tion in research, instructional and guidance services, and professional activities. Assistantships are open to graduate students with evidence of maturity and potential to benefit from the program.

Applications will be considered from graduate applicants, postgraduates, and current graduate students. Stipends are awarded for periods up to 12 months. Full or partial remission of tuition and fees for approved courses during the period of the assistantship is also available.  Recipients of assistantships in the School of Education and Psychology must be fully admitted to a Masters program.

Application forms for graduate assistantships may be obtained by writing directly to the respective departments. The deadline for receipt of application for the following year is April 15.


Prior to each graduation, graduate students with exceptional academic records are nominated by the graduate faculties for the Graduate Dean s Scholastic Achievement Award. This award consists of: (1) a certificate of distinction and (2) a cash award.


Grants are need-based awards  and do not have to be repaid.

MSW Need Grants of $5,200 are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to students who show need through the financial aid application process. Grants are disbursed at the rate of $1,300 each quarter - fall, winter, spring and summer.

Child Welfare Training Grant . Contact the School of Social Work for more information on this $4,000 grant.


MSW Departmental Scholarships of $2,500 are awarded to each students who holds a bachelor s degree from WWC and whose cumulative grade point average (GPA) was at least 3.00. One-fourth of the scholarship is disbursed each quarter -- fall, winter, spring, and summer--of a recipient s first year in the program.

MSW Merit Scholarships are awarded in recognition of an outstanding undergraduate GPA. One-fourth of the scholarship is disbursed each quarter -- fall, winter, spring, and summer--of a recipient s first year in the program.

Undergraduate GPA                        Award

3.90-4.00                                        $3,000 ($750 per quarter)

3.80-3.89                                        $2,200 ($550 per quarter)

3.70-3.79                                        $1,800 ($450 per quarter)

3.50-3.69                                        $1,500 ($375 per quarter)

MSW Minority Scholarship . In order to increase the number of African-American, Hispanic, and registered Native American students enrolled in the MSW program, WWC offers $2,500 scholarships for members of these ethnic groups. Please contact the School of Social Work to request an application.

Students registered for less than 12 credit hours will receive prorated grants and scholarships. Students registered for less than 6 credit hours are not eligible for grants and scholarships.


Master's degree programs are offered in biology, education, psychology, and social work. Graduate study is planned with reference to the student's previous academic preparation, experience, personal qualifications, and future objectives. Close cooperation between the student and adviser is essential.


Graduate programs provide an atmosphere which stimulates intellectual curiosity and independent thinking. They are designed to develop an appreciation for the value of research, to provide involvement with basic research techniques, and to strengthen professional competence in areas of specialization.


To qualify for regular admission, an applicant to a graduate program shall have:

1.      graduated from an accredited four-year college or university by the time of enrollment, as evidenced by a transcript showing the completion of a baccalaureate degree.

2.      completed an appropriate undergraduate major or prerequisite credit hours as specified by the department.

3.      achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 for either the total hours or for the last 96 quarter hours of the baccalaureate degree.

4.      obtained recommendations from three individuals knowing the applicant's professional abilities and personal qualities well.

5.      submitted a personal statement of professional goals and objectives as directed by the department concerned.

6.      achieved a score of 550 on the written TOEFL or a score of 213 on the computer TOEFL, if English is spoken as a Second Language

7.      met additional admission requirements as specified by the department concerned.

When all application materials have been received, they will be sent to the respective graduate department for evaluation and a recommendation about acceptance. Admission is by official action of the Graduate Council.


Students are enrolled under one of the following categories:


Regular admission status is granted to students who meet all requirements of graduate programs at Walla Walla College and specific requirements of the department or school in which study is proposed.


Provisional status is given to students who have graduated from an accredited college or university and do not meet one or more of the other require­ments for regular admission, but who in the judgment of the department and Graduate Council have shown evidence of their ability to pursue a graduate degree. Such evidence may include one or more of the following: superior performance on the Graduate Record Examination, strong professional recommendations, superior grades in postgraduate work at a recognized institution, and/or positive work experience in areas related to the desired graduate specialization. At the time of provisional acceptance, a plan and deadline for a change to regular standing must be submitted by the respective graduate program. Students not meeting these specifications will be dropped from the program.


Non-matriculated status is designed for students who wish to take courses for personal or professional benefit, but are not seeking a graduate degree. By special petition to Graduate Council, a maximum of 12 credit hours may be applied to a graduate program retrospectively.



Responsibilities of the Student. Each graduate student is responsible for a knowledge of all regula­tions and procedures published in this bulletin and in departmental materials. Continued progress in the program is contingent upon the adherence to the decisions of the Graduate Council and the policies and procedures as published in this bulletin. The student must assume the initiative in such matters as securing approval of a Program of Study and arranging for required tests and examinations. Failure to do so may result in unnecessary delay or interruption of graduate study.

Program Requirements. Completion of the minimum number of hours for a specific graduate program is required, including all courses listed on the Program of Study. Candidates must also satisfy departmental requirements listed in this bulletin and those provided in writing by the department or school.

Scholastic Requirements. A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 is required for all courses included in the graduate program and in the program area (except deficiencies). Courses with grades of less than C are not accepted for graduate credit.

Probation and Dismissal Policy. Graduate students whose cumulative GPA for courses taken in their program area at Walla Walla College drops below 3.0 will be placed on academic probation. Notification of this status will be by letter from the Dean of Graduate Studies. Students placed on academic probation are urged to consider an adjustment in class and work load in consultation with their program advisers. Students whose cumulative GPA is below 3.0 for two consecutive quarters will be subject to dismissal by Graduate Council from their current graduate program and loss of graduate student standing.

Resident Credit. All credits earned toward a master's degree will normally be taken at Walla Walla College.  No more than 12 credits of graduate work taken at the college before official acceptance may be applied to the degree.  Courses numbered 350-399 may be included in the graduate program with approval of the Graduate Council.  No more than six quarter hours of workshop (474) courses will be included in a program.  A minimum of 33 quarter hours toward the Biology or Education programs,  and 39 hours toward the Social Work program must be taken in residence.

Transfer Credit. Some graduate level work taken at other accredited institutions but not previously applied toward a degree may be approved for transfer to the master's degree by petition to the department.  Normally, the maximum is 12 quarter hours. No courses with grades less than B qualify for transfer credit.  Extension courses may be transferred if they are acceptable as graduate credit by the accredited college or university offering them.  Continuing education credit is accepted as transfer credit. "P" or "S" grades may be transferred after specific review by the designated department, but will not be considered when computing the GPA.

Waiving Content Requirements. On occasion content required for the graduate program at Walla Walla College may have been covered in a course applied to an earlier degree.  After review by the department, the content required by the graduate program may be waived but the total hours required for the degree are not reduced. Usually a validation examination over the content area is required. Exceptions may be made in the case of second advanced degrees. There is a fee for this examination.

Time Requirement. Academic credit earned more than six calendar years prior to graduation is usually not acceptable to satisfy degree requirements.

Course Load. The maximum load per quarter for graduate students is 14 hours in social work, 12 hours in education, psychology, and biology. Petition must be made to Graduate Council to exceed these limits. For purposes of loan deferment and visa qualification, seven hours and eight hours of graduate work are considered minimum loads respectively.

Bulletin. A student's degree requirements will be based on the graduate bulletin in effect at the time of first enrollment as a graduate student.


Each candidate is responsible to take the  appropriate, required final oral/comprehensive examination(s). Success or failure of such examina­tions is determined by a faculty committee. A candidate who fails a required examination is granted only one opportunity for retake after the lapse of at least one quarter. Examinations should be scheduled and taken so that the results can be known at least two weeks before spring commencement.


Two quarters prior to program completion, a Request to Graduate must be prepared on an approved form and signed by the adviser, program director, and Director of Records. This process will verify that the candidate has:

1.    reviewed a degree audit form (MSW) or completed Program of Study (Biology, Education, Psychology),

2.    attained a cumulative GPA of 3.0,

3.    arranged to take appropriate oral/comprehensive examina­tion(s),

4.    ordered graduation regalia, and

5.    satisfied all deficiencies and arranged for all incompletes and IP s to be completed by one month prior to graduation.


Because students are strongly encouraged to participate in commencement exercises, those wishing to graduate in absentia must petition the President of the college to do so.

Students who participate in commencement should have completed all requirements for their degree by this time. However, as Walla Walla College has only one commencement exercise each year, if all requirements have not been completed, the following criteria must be met in order for students to march:

1.    be within 12 hours (14 hours including Field Practium for MSW) of degree completion, including courses with incom­plete (I) and in progress (IP) grades,

2.    be able to complete all degree requirements by the last Friday in August of the same year,

3.    have the approval of the thesis/project committee (if M.A./M.S. student), and

4.    have a Request to Graduate on file with the Office of Academic Records.

Degrees are conferred and diplomas issued each quarter.  All coursework must be completed, transcripts received, comprehensives taken and grades received before the degree will be awarded.  Dates of degrees for the 2004-2005 and the 2005-2006 school years are:

Autumn...................................... December 31, 2004

Winter.............................................. March 25, 2005

Spring................................................ June 12, 2005

Summer.......................................... August 26, 2005

Autumn...................................... December 30, 2005

Winter.............................................. March 24, 2006

Spring................................................ June 11, 2006

Summer.......................................... August 25, 2006