Short CV: Alden Thompson
Current Position: Professor of Biblical Studies
Address: Walla Walla University, 204 S. College Ave., College Place WA 99324
Home: 1006 SE Crestlane Dr., College Place, WA 99324
Telephone: 509-529-0321 (Home); 509-527-2195 (Office/VoiceMail) FAX (WWU): 509-527-2253.
- High School: Upper Columbia Academy, Spangle, WA, 1961.
- BA: Walla Walla College, 1965, cum laude. Majors in theology and biblical languages.
- MA: Andrews University, 1966, cum laude. Major in biblical and systematic theology.
- BD: Andrews University, 1967, magna cum laude.
- PhD: University of Edinburgh, 1975. Biblical and Judaic Studies.
- SE California Conference of SDA: Associate Pastor, Redlands, 1967-68.
- Pastor, Fontana, 1968-70.
- Walla Walla College: Teacher, 1970-86; 1990 to present.
- Vice President for Academic Administration, 1986-1990.
- Teaching areas: Old Testament and Adventist History.
Awards and Significant Off-Campus Experiences
- Exchange Teacher, Seminar Marienhoehe, Darmstadt, Germany, 1980-81.
- Member, Walla Walla Symphony Board, 1986-92.
- WWC Burlington Northern Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Teaching, June, 1991.
- Association of SDA Librarians (ASDAL) Literary Award for Inspiration (RH 1991), 1993.
- PhD Dissertation: Responsibility for Evil in the Theodicy of IV Ezra; A Study Illustrating the Significance of Form and Structure for the Meaning of the Book. SBLDS 29. Missoula, MT: Scholars Press, 1977 [softcover, xvi-395 pp].
- Semi-popular book, Evangelical market: Who's Afraid of the Old Testament God? Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1988; Grand Rapids: Zondervan Publishing House, 1989 [softcover, 173 pp]; Pacesetters 2000 (reprint).
- Semi-popular book, Adventist market: Inspiration: Hard Questions, Honest Answers. Hagarstown, MD: Review and Herald, 1991 [hardcover, 332 pp]. German translation: Inspiration: Knifflige Fragen -- Ehrliche Antworten (1998); Dutch translation forthcoming in 2002.
- Commentary: 1 and 2 Samuel, The Bible Amplifier. Boise, ID: Pacific Press, 1995.
- Seminar: "Justification: `The Bridge at Both Ends.'" Part Three of seven-part Sequence Evangelism Seminar, Fundamentals of Adventism. Concerned Communications, n.d. .
- Monthly column: "Windows on God's Word," Signs of the Times, 1985-94 [total of 108 columns].
- Occasional column: NPUC Gleaner, 1987-90; 1992-99 [total of 177 columns through 1999].
- Series: "From Sinai to Golgotha," Adventist Review, December 3, 10, 17, 24, 31, 1981; July 1, 1982; Westwind (Walla Walla College Alumni Journal), Winter, 1982 [Comparison of the Sinai-Golgotha pattern in Scripture with Ellen White's developing experience].
- Other articles: Adventist Review, Adventist Today, Andrews University Seminary Studies, Collegian (WWC student newspaper),Collegiate Quarterly, Dialogue, Insight, Journal of Biblical Literature, Ministry, Gleaner (North Pacific Union of SDA), Signs of the Times, Westwind (Walla Walla College Alumni Journal).
Last update on September 19, 2008