Janice McKenzie Radzikowski, Associate Professor of Biology
Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering 2006 Purdue University
B.S. in Chemical Engineering 2001 Montana State University
General: Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Engineering, Materials
Biotechnology: Upstream processing - DNA methods and analysis, Bioreactor technology; Downstream processing - Protein purification and characterization, Scale-up
Biomedical engineering: Biomaterials, Nanotechnology, Tissue engineering, Regenerative medicine
HONORS, AWARDS, AND CERTIFICATIONS
· 2005 Society for Biomaterials Student Travel and Professional Development Award
· 2005 Geddes-Laufman-Greatbatch Graduate Student of the Year Award
· 2004 Biomedical Engineering Society Graduate Student Research Award
· 2004 Purdue Chorafas Foundation Graduate Student Award Finalist
· 2nd Place 2002 Society for Biomaterials Proteins and Cells at Interfaces Competition
· 2001-2004 NSF IGERT Fellow
· 2001 Engineering In Training (Passed Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering)
· 2001 Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, and Science Research Scholarship
· 2001 Undergraduate Scholars Program Research Grant
· 2000-2001 Trey James Memorial Scholarship
· 1999-2000 Montana State University College of Engineering Scholarship
· 1998 National Associate in Risk Management Certification (Insurance Education Association of America)
McKenzie JL, Webster TH. "Protein Interactions at Material Surfaces," In Biomaterials: Processing, Characterization, and Applications, Eds: Bonfield B, Atala T, Narayan RJ, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2007.
Jedlicka SS, McKenzie JL, Leavesley SJ, Little KM, Webster TJ, Robinson JP, Nivens DE, Rickus JL. “Sol-gel derived materials as substrates for neuronal differentiation: Effects of surface featues and protein conformation,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, 16, 3221-3230, 2006.
Yao C, Perla V, McKenzie JL, Slamovich EB, Webster TJ. “Anodized Ti and Ti6A14V possessing nanometer surface features enhances osteoblast adhesion,” Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology, 1, 68-73, 2005.
McKenzie JL, Shi R, Webster TJ. “Material design for neural applications using carbon nanofibers,” American Society for Metals International Conference Proceedings, 2004.
McKenzie JL, Shi R, Kalkhoran NM, Sambito MA, Webster TJ. “Analysis of carbon nanofibers and porous silicon for neural applications,” The International Association of Science and Technology for Development Conference Proceedings, 2004.
Moxon KA, Kalkhoran NM, Markert M, Sambito MA, McKenzie JL, Webster TJ. “Nanostructured surface modification of ceramic-based microelectrodes to enhance biocompatibility for a direct brain-machine interface,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 51, 881-889, 2004.
McKenzie JL, Waid MC, Shi R, Webster TJ. “Decreased functions of astrocytes on carbon nanofiber materials,” Biomaterials, 25, 1390-1317, 2004.
Wesbter TJ, Waid MC, McKenzie JL, Price RlEjiofor JU. “Nano-biotechnology: carbon nanofibres as improved neural and orthopaedic implants,” Nanotechnology, 15, 48-54, 2004.
McKenzie JL, Shi R, Kalkhoran NM, Sambito MA, Webster TJ. “In vitro analysis of carbon nanofiber and mesoscale porous silicon materials with nanoscale roughness for neural applications,” Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, H6.16, 2003.
McKenzie JL, Waid MC, Shi R, Webster TJ. “Cytocompatibility and material properties of polycarbonate urethane/carbon nanofiber composites for neural applications,” Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, O7.30, 2003.
McKenzie JL, Waid MC, Shi R, Webster TJ. “Cytocompatibility of carbon nanofiber materials for neural applications,” Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, O&.35, 2003.
McKenzie JL, Waid MC, Cardona BE Shi R, Webster TJ. “Functions of astrocytes on carbon nanofibers and composites, American Institute of Conference Proceedings, 2002.
Last update on October 30, 2013