Walla Walla University was founded as Walla Walla College, which opened on Dec. 7, 1892, with 80 students and nine faculty. It was housed in one building, the Administration Building. The initial direction of WWC was articulated in its first statement of mission: to provide young people with “a Christian education, surrounded with influences favorable to the development of Christian character.”
WWC was renamed Walla Walla University in 2007 to reflect the breadth of educational opportunities offered. Today, the vision of the founders of WWC continues to thrive at Walla Walla University, a Seventh-day Adventist community with more than 1900 students and more than 200 faculty, still dedicated to exceptional education shaped by core Christian values.
Every three years, Walla Walla University leadership establishes a slate of Strategic Initiatives to guide the University in the implementation of its mission. These Strategic Initiatives are an important component of the University’s Master Plan, and are carefully considered and approved by university governance committees and the Walla Walla University Board of Trustees.
Page maintained by Michael Bork
Last update on January 7, 2013